Talk

Advanced search

NCT Antenatal Course Teacher

(8 Posts)
quickquestion2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:18:22

AIBU to think it would be difficult to make a living as one? Are there any out there that have it as their sole income?

I've looked with interest at the course, but with a cost of £12,000 and 2 years of full time studying I am wondering whether it is actually worth it?!

Whynotnowbaby Thu 16-Mar-17 14:22:11

I would have thought it would be hard to make a living on it and take a long time to make back the lost earnings and course cost of the initial training but why not contact the NCT and ask them these questions? They're not some sort of random cowboy company and so should be prepared to answer your questions.

quickquestion2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:35:24

Thanks whynotnow for your thoughts.
I tried contacting my local branch but no reply as yet but perhaps I'll try the larger organisation. I was just wondering whether any qualified NCT teachers on here could share their experience.

AgathaMystery Thu 16-Mar-17 20:31:52

I am not a qualified NCT a teacher but I know 6 & none of them do it as a full time job. They all have other jobs as most NCT classes run on a Saturday or in the evenings.

quickquestion2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:12:35

Thanks Agatha.

gammaraystar Thu 16-Mar-17 22:19:39

I used to be involved with our local nct and it was just a disorganised shit storm. The teachers would leave all the time as they would have to work really hard to promote the courses and it was never worth it finacially.

AgathaMystery Thu 16-Mar-17 22:48:16

Agree that the entire organisation is a clusterfuck

elektrawoman Thu 16-Mar-17 23:04:30

I used to volunteer with the NCT and I don't think any of the antenatal teachers made a living out of it. You can't just run courses when and where you like - it's all coordinated for you- so you don't have that much control over how much work you can take on. The only ones I knew who seemed to be working a lot were those who had also trained up to train new teachers!
I started the postnatal teacher course - it was really interesting but I had to give it up when they increased the course fees to £12k as I could not see how I would earn enough to make it worth that outlay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now