Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be thoroughly fed up with decorating?

(20 Posts)
EustaceClarenceScrubb Thu 16-Mar-17 13:56:45

Four coats of sodding emulsion on the wall and it is still patchy. Looks like shit and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried painting with a brush and a roller. It is textured wallpaper (inherited from the previous owners)but has been painted before no problem.

Aibu to just eat my weight in chocolate whilst looking for a huge picture to cover it?

Just going to clean the paint brushes now.

PeaFaceMcgee Thu 16-Mar-17 14:09:24

Just strip the wallpaper.

EustaceClarenceScrubb Thu 16-Mar-17 15:07:47

Thanks PeaFace. I was hoping to avoid stripping the walls as it is the landing I am decorating, so it is a bad enough being perched up a ladder looking down into the abyss when you have a paint brush in your hand, I am not sure I would want to operate a wallpaper steamer up there!

Also, I suspect the previous owners used textured paper for a reason. I think the plaster underneath would be far from a paintable condition.

I was hoping someone else might have had the same thing and be able to advise, must just be me then! sad

user1487519954 Thu 16-Mar-17 15:19:08

I had this with B&Qs own brand paint... Dulux all the way!
Sometimes it needs a day or two to fully dry then it'll look better.

EustaceClarenceScrubb Thu 16-Mar-17 15:24:42

Funnily enough my neighbour has just come in to take a look ( font of all decorating knowledge apparently) He said the same thing. I did use B & Q paint, he suggested Dulux too. I just hope I can match the colour!

Ericaequites Thu 16-Mar-17 15:29:35

Be sure to bring or write down all numbers from the old can. Most paint companies can match other companies' colors with all the information.

kel1493 Thu 16-Mar-17 15:29:56

I know what you mean. We recently painted ds's bedroom. It's a rented house with textured wallpaper. Now as we don't know how much longer we will actually be living here, we didn't really want to strip all the paper off. So we painted over it.
4 costs of undercoat and it still didn't look right. In the end we put the colour on top- 2 costs of that. It isn't perfect but it'll do. (It was a relief to move onto the ceiling and the glossing). I was so glad when it was finished.

EustaceClarenceScrubb Thu 16-Mar-17 15:38:44

Maybe it is the textured wallpaper then. It has been painted before, that was a slightly lighter colour, sort of aqua. I have covered it with 'Lauren' which is a beige colour. Does anyone know if just covering it over completely with white would help, would the textured paper look better in a lighter shade? I have used a matt finish but would a sheen look better?

kel1493 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:55:08

*should say coats not costs btw.
The colour in our walls was an absolutely awful lilac colour goodness knows who picked that. We used white undercoat, as we thought the final colours would look better over white.
(Our colours were baby blue and light grey). I think painting the walls white first was a good idea as the paper soaked in so much paint. Also I think painting colour over white just looks better- more of a blank canvas if you know what I mean.
We use silk paint as personably I don't really like Matt finish, I prefer a slight shine to the walls. But it's really up to you

MrsTwix Sat 18-Mar-17 21:02:24

You need a longer haired roller with textured paper I think.

user1489261248 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:04:01

Me and DH hate painting and decorating too. That's why we pay someone else to do it. We only change the decor every 4-5 years anyway, but hate the chore so much that we always pay someone else to do it. I know some people who decorate every year, and seem to be forever doing it. Fuck that. Most boring chore in the world imo (and my DH's too!)

I mean, if the odd skirting board, or door or two needs a paint, we will have a crack at that, but apart from that, we get a professional in. And we never ever do the wallpapering ourselves. Painting and decorating is the most boring chore imo.

Fairylea Sat 18-Mar-17 21:04:05

Another vote for Dulux. I do a lot of decorating and it's all I ever use. B and q own brand is shockingly terrible.

thegoodnameshadgone Sat 18-Mar-17 21:15:41

I spent six weeks stripping. In a non sexy way. That awful peppledash type wallpaper that had been glossed over in navy, in three rooms and a landing and stairs and hall. I had arms like a fat angelina jolie at the end. I feel your pain.

Lesley1980 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:47:21

I had the same problem with B&Q paint & returned the tin with pictures of the patchy wall. Bought Crown & only needed one coat.

Sometimes if you donthe second coat to quick it can lift the previous coat of paint making it patchy

KathySelden Sat 18-Mar-17 21:53:06

My uncles a painter and decorator and when we did our textured papered wall he recommended Covermatt Obliterating Emulsion then Crown Paint on top. It worked really well, also good on strongly coloured walls top bring the colour down before adding paint.

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 18-Mar-17 22:19:12

We get someone else to do it
He uses Leyland and Dulux trade

TheSilveryPussycat Sat 18-Mar-17 22:21:34

I'm facing a similar problem. Old house, paper looks fairly recent, white embossed with tulips (and rather nice). However, the room is probably kippered from a couple of years smoking in it.

I just want to paint it white, btw, especially as not very much light reaches the room.

EustaceClarenceScrubb Sun 19-Mar-17 13:29:40

Thanks for all your responses. Just to update if anyone is interested as I appreciate it is probably a very boring thread. I took the B& Q paint back and got my money back due to its poor quality. The lady serving me did not seem at all surprised, said she had had similar problems when she used it! Got some Dulux in a slightly different shad, have done one coat in that and so far it looks better than the three coats of the B& Q stuff, so I think it will come up well with the second coat. Its a shame I have to go up that bleeding ladder perched in the stairwell though, I am not good with heights!

Lesson learned on the cheap paint though!

EustaceClarenceScrubb Sun 19-Mar-17 13:30:34

Oops, Shade not shad!

user1487519954 Mon 20-Mar-17 22:48:40

Oh well, now you know for next time!
I was specifically told by my mum not to buy the cheap paint, but of course I knew best and ignored her... now I tell everyone the same thing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now