Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that adults should not call their parents 'mummy' and 'daddy

(184 Posts)
magpiemay Thu 16-Mar-17 13:50:08

It might be that work is really grating on me today but I really cannot tolerate it. I sit with a lady (in her mid 50s) who takes an awful lot of personal calls throughout the day. Particularly from her mum and she calls her 'mummy' throughout the whole call... is it totally unreasonable that this makes me cringe?

KungFuEric Thu 16-Mar-17 13:51:47

Personal calls on work time, unreasonable.

People calling their parents what they like is their god damn business.

mrsm43s Thu 16-Mar-17 13:52:51

How on earth does what she calls her parents affect you?

AuntiePenguin Thu 16-Mar-17 13:52:56

My parents prefer those terms. I don't care, but use them as it makes them happy.

Why do you care? How does this affect you at all?

magpiemay Thu 16-Mar-17 13:55:47

well that told me!

I just find it a bit cringey that she is saying it repeatedly in a busy office.

She is also quite loud on the phone so it can be irritating when i am trying to work to have such a loud and personal conversation going on.

I have silly nicknames for family members but wouldn't use them in front of colleagues!

As I said work is grating today - I didn't mean to cause any offence!

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Thu 16-Mar-17 13:55:49

I agree OP - I know it shouldn't matter to us, but it drives me insane. An elderly relative of mine still calls her parents mummy and daddy. Shes nearly 80.

CircleofWillis Thu 16-Mar-17 13:55:49

You can call your own parents what you want and express your preferences to your own DC as to what you want to be called. Anything beyond that it is nothing to do with you and none of your business.

IamFriedSpam Thu 16-Mar-17 13:56:07

It would make me cringe to do it but I don't care what other people call their parents. The constant personal calls during work would irritate me though.

goodiegoodieyumyum Thu 16-Mar-17 13:58:46

I think it is infantalising, you are an adult mummy and daddy are what children call their parentsite.

llangennith Thu 16-Mar-17 14:00:34

I agree is sounds strange but my DDs (40&45) still say mummy, DS (41) tries not to call me anything but I sign cards to him with 'mum'.
My sister made us stop calling our parents mummy and daddy when she was 14 (I was 17) and we were on holiday. I wasn't bothered but she found it embarrassinggrin

PuntCuffin Thu 16-Mar-17 14:01:07

What should they be called then?

kerryob Thu 16-Mar-17 14:03:02

I switch between dad/daddy when I speak to my Dad. It isn't anyone else's business what you call your parents same as Nan, nanny or grandma all affectionate names.

Mother & father are sterner and less affectionate that I would find odd

StinginBelle13 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:03:21

Can't stand that. Wouldn't judge anyone for it and it's their choice to call them what they please but I absolutely hate it. It makes them sound so childish and immature. I'm sure they aren't, but that's how it sounds to me.

Annesmyth123 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:03:57

Don't move to Ireland.

KittyWindbag Thu 16-Mar-17 14:05:24

Ha, I Come from an extended family where some members refer to their parents as 'mummy and daddy' (me and my immediate family didn't).

It used to make me cringe so much when I was a teenager at family gatherings, especially because they were the 'posher' ones, if you like.

Now I'm grown up I think it's rather sweet. You never grow out of being someone's child or someone's mummy I suppose.

HairsprayBabe Thu 16-Mar-17 14:06:41

I am 25 and still call my parents Mummy and Daddy. If I am referring to them in a conversation with someone else then I call them Mum and Dad.

I don't think it is weird, both my siblings do the same.

None of your business and a bit judgy of you TBH. However she shouldn't make personal calls in the office.

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 16-Mar-17 14:07:40

Children over the age of 3 shouldn't call their parents mummy and daddy, it's horrible, horrible, horrible.

But of course, that's just my view, so the only people other than myself I can actually ask to change their behaviour are my children. Anyone else can do what they want, individuals have the right to be called whatever they want, so only children who refused their parents request to be known by a different name WBU.

purpleprickle Thu 16-Mar-17 14:07:58

It is cringey.

I used to sit next to someone in the office who would kiss down the phone 🤢

magpiemay Thu 16-Mar-17 14:08:26

KittyWindbag I suppose I didn't think of it like that.

I would of course never say anything. I guess I just feel a little uncomfortable having no choice but to hear her personal calls and the terms of endearment perhaps make it feel even more personal!

Again - no judgement or offence intended just find it all very grating!

Elphame Thu 16-Mar-17 14:08:29

It's a class thing too - "mummy and daddy" is smarter than "mum and dad".

hellsbellsmelons Thu 16-Mar-17 14:08:32

mummy and daddy are what children call their parents
But I am their child - even if I am nearing 50.
I always sign off of a phone with my dad 'Love you Daddy' and he says 'Love you too princess'
I've always been a daddies girl.
But my mum tends to be mum unless it's in a card.
Weird!

LurkingHusband Thu 16-Mar-17 14:09:06

Within our family (myself, 2DBs) it's "Mummy/Daddy".

In any other context "Mum" and "Dad".

Have no idea why ...

magpiemay Thu 16-Mar-17 14:09:36

purpleprickle kissing down the phone? that would be awful to have to listen to!!!

Chloe84 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:09:55

I get it, OP. YANBU.

Tabbylady Thu 16-Mar-17 14:12:29

I used to find it grating too until I made a lot of friends from the north of Ireland when I was at uni- they all seemed to used mummy (or mammy) and daddy!

Fwiw mine are mither and faither, but only when I am telling them off :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now