Talk

Advanced search

To marvel at people who manage to save their toddler's clothes for the next child?

(19 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Thu 16-Mar-17 13:24:34

Or is it just me who has children that are very hard wearing on their clothes? Since my dc have started walking and getting into everything, they have literally worn their clothes ragged to the point that they're no good for anyone else. I used to buy more expensive stuff but now shop mostly at m+s and supermarkets as the clothes were lasting the same anyway.

I always marvel at people who manage to get 2 or 3 kids out of each batch of clothes. I have a friend who shops in the same places as me and she often gives me bags of hand me downs in excellent condition and I don't know how she manages it. By the time my dd is finished with them, they're only fit for the bin.

I'm expecting no 3 any day day now and am having to start over and buy all new clothes as nothing has been salvageable from my other 2 hmm

mumofmunchkin Thu 16-Mar-17 13:27:21

I saved all the baby clothes, and clothes up to about age 2 and ds2 is now working his way through them. Now that ds1 is a bit older though, wearing the clothes for longer, ripping and wearing out the knees etc I think that comparatively little is going to get saved.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 16-Mar-17 13:27:57

We had so many clothes bought for the first baby, that a lot of it got worn only once or twice. We could have used a lot of it for dozens of children.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 16-Mar-17 13:34:31

With toddler clothes yes, I agree by that age they don't grow as rapidly as babies so they're in them for longer plus they are more active (climbing, paints etc) and the clothes take the brunt of it.

NotCitrus Thu 16-Mar-17 13:37:51

Depends how many clothes you have! If they have 20 pairs of trousers then they won't get worn as much as if you let dc wear their favourite 3 pairs all the time.
Also ds was a careful sedate child who never really wore clothes out until age 6 trousers. Dd is a hellion who invariably needs clothes washed at the end of the day and seems to spend school playtime hurling herself at the tarmac! She's worn as many of ds's old clothes as possible!

Muddlingalongalone Thu 16-Mar-17 13:41:57

Upto aged 2-3 i've reused a lot of Dd1's for Dd2 but I don't have a huge amount in bigger sizes because she wrecked them at nursery. Mind you I did buy cheap/h&m supermarket deliberately. Formal dresses etc will be passed on.
Now she's in school uniform & growing constantly I might get some second hand wear out of her bigger clothes.

onemouseplace Thu 16-Mar-17 13:42:08

I have 3 DC and DD2 is 2 and wears 90% hand me downs from her older siblings.

It helps that DD2 has an older brother and sister, so some bits have only gone through one child (although, I have bought plenty of unisex things).

Most things are in ok condition, I did buy some things though with the idea of selling them after 3 children - not a chance!

confusedofengland Thu 16-Mar-17 13:42:42

I have 3 DSes & about 80% of DS3's wardrobe has been worn by both his brothers & often cousins beforehand. Trousers tend to wear through the quickest, tshirts & jumpers hardly at all. He does have A LOT of clothes though - maybe 20 pairs of trousers & 30 long & 30 short-sleeved tshirts etc. I do also keep e.g. trousers that are ripped in the knee for days when we are at home just mooching or when we are going to the park & he will get covered in mud anyway grin

Dd is 1 and I have managed to keep most of her clothes so far. She gets them so dirty at nursery now though that I have started having to ditch some. I have purposely bought clothes just for nursery though which were cheapies from Asda/Sainsbury's

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Thu 16-Mar-17 13:45:15

I've managed to pass most things on from DS1 to DS2. Because of the age/ size gap many items have been in regular use for 3 years. Things like the tracksuit bottoms that were bought for toilet training are looking tired but still fine for nursery/ house days. They're past being sold or passed on but aren't worth replacing for the short time before they're grown out of now as DS2 approaches a new size, and his clothing needs change for reception class.

I mainly buy from Morrison's/ Sainsburys and some things from the cheaper end of outdoor shops.

Marks seem to was out well, and they don't seem to wear fabric thin (other than DS1's shorts that are worn year round and last years before he grows out of the waist)

BrainWillingBodyNotSoMuch Thu 16-Mar-17 13:53:51

My older has 3 boys and I have 2. We've managed to save a lot of clothes and often visit with a black bag of hand me downs. Obviously not everything survives but it helps massively. In fact my youngest DS wore a t-shirt this week which has been worn by the other 4!

BrainWillingBodyNotSoMuch Thu 16-Mar-17 13:54:22

*sister

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Thu 16-Mar-17 14:03:38

My DD4 wears hand me downs from her 3 siblings, who kept everything in pristine condition. Shes single handedly ruined each and every item, along with every single toy, book etc etc !

EeyoreNeededMedication Thu 16-Mar-17 14:29:47

We saved most of ours. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Next clothes seemed to last. John Lewis t-shirts. Gap trousers. Primark.

We were given a lot of clothes (hand-me-downs) so I guess the wear was spread over a wider range and so clothes fared better.

missmoohoo Thu 16-Mar-17 14:33:54

My Dd's clothes has no dirty marks on them. There is no reason why the next child can't wear them.
Most light coloured ones soak in vanish before washing without a fail. The baby grows from Sainsbury's did get holes in some of them. All her other clothes from other shops didn't wear off.

underneaththeash Thu 16-Mar-17 14:44:28

I managed to pass most of mine on from Ds1 to Ds2, he did for quite quickly so maybe that's why they lasted so long. Trousers/joggers when they were crawling didn't last and neither did white t-shirts, but most things were handed down.
My nephew has also had a few things that had gone through both my boys too and I'm sure DD had a few baby grows that had been worn by both older children as well.

Popsicle434544 Thu 16-Mar-17 14:53:37

I have 3 boys, 14, 12 and 8, alot of the stuff my 8yr old wears are from older 2, it's all gap and next, anything else like h&m and Primark just did one kid b4 binning x

Witchend Thu 16-Mar-17 16:06:52

I bought most of dc's clothes second hand, they did 2-3 dc (depending on what they were) and I've passed them onto dsis or other people where they've done at lest 2 more before being passed on again.

Once they get to about 5 or 6yo they're not quite so good, but most things can be used more than one dc.

Yura Thu 16-Mar-17 17:51:27

no problems here - with forrest school in the mix and lots of football. trousers are exclusively jeans, or hardwearing outdoor fabrics ( joggers or leggings wouldn't last 5 minutes). shorts as early as possible. tops selected to be good quality and colourful to hide stains. Socks are the only thing we bin (even shoes are still ok - not clarks though, but european brands). son is 4 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now