Talk

Advanced search

To be upset about work situation

(8 Posts)
oversensitivegirl Wed 15-Mar-17 21:27:32

I have a job where I work on my own in my department, my workload has increased significantly over the past 2 weeks and I asked another member of staff who covers me to help me out this week to make sure we meet the deadline and we came up with a plan together.
Her department has more staff and not so much workload at the moment so I didn't see it as a problem for her to help me, but I was wrong because suddenly she can't help out.
I feel so upset I always help her when she needs it in her department, we came up with a plan together and I thought she would help me to meet the deadline. I keep thinking I must be such a bitch if nobody wants to help me.
I feel so silly cause I'm sat at home crying about it and feeling all alone sad

WhatchaMaCalllit Wed 15-Mar-17 21:29:21

Don't cry.
She is an ungrateful so and so.

Do your very best to manage what you can. The next time she is looking for a dig-out just make yourself unavailable in whatever way you can. She'll soon understand.

user1474439326 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:29:31

Maybe a manager has told them they can't help or maybe they're busier than you realise. I wouldn't take it too personally but I do understand how it can all get on top of you when you're under pressure. Good lucks

user1471517900 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:32:34

Presumably she can't help out because she has other work to do, not because she hates you.

Gindrinker43 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:38:09

She is not a team player, if someone more senior had told her not to help she should have told you.
Present your plan clearly written to you boss. Explain the situation, why you are in the situation (background), lay out the options on how to manage the situation (assessment) and then give the preferred option ( recommendation), present this to your boss making it clear what options you have tried and why it failed (no suport).
Don't let other people's game playing get in the way of you doing a good job.

LucklessMonster Wed 15-Mar-17 21:39:09

I had a similar situation recently, and it did make me paranoid for a day or two that the person didn't want to work with me because she didn't like me.

But then I realised I don't care. I'm not her friend, and I go to work to earn money. So I've taken it as motivation to show that I can deliver top notch projects by myself, where nobody else can take the credit. smile

ImFuckingSpartacus Wed 15-Mar-17 21:47:26

I think you're taking it all rather too personally, its work, its not about whether people like you or are being nice.
If you need help from another dept and they are not providing it, you need to decide whether your request was appropriate, and where to escalate it to if neccessary. Take the emotion out of it.

oversensitivegirl Wed 15-Mar-17 21:50:33

That's how I would usually be luckless not caring what people think of me and more than happy to work alone. Just feel under a lot of pressure at the moment and thought I could relay on her to help but obviously not. Never mind just need to find my lost confidence smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now