Talk

Advanced search

Babies should NOT wear headbands/bows

(51 Posts)
StudentMum92 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:41:02

They are completely unnecessary!

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/parents-being-warned-dangers-big-12741977.amp

Poor baby 💔😢

Morphene Wed 15-Mar-17 20:50:58

oh gosh - how tragic!

What a terrible accident to occur.

Ride Wed 15-Mar-17 20:52:36

Oh and they are just awful and weird as well.

DaffodilTime Wed 15-Mar-17 20:53:39

That is so sad. I'd say it was a very very unlucky, unusual and tragic thing to happen though?

Mumzypopz Wed 15-Mar-17 20:54:20

I think they look awful on babies.

RainbowPastel Wed 15-Mar-17 20:58:31

Poor baby how tragic. They look ridiculous on babies I have never understood the attraction.

toffee1000 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:04:14

They look daft on bald babies. Babies look like presents with them on (IYSWIM).

PlayOnWurtz Wed 15-Mar-17 21:06:14

How sad. They are hideous to boot.

3luckystars Wed 15-Mar-17 21:06:54

Why are dummy clips dangerous now?

Octuscactus Wed 15-Mar-17 21:07:48

Poor poor baby and mother sad that's so sad!

Btw what looks ridiculous is your opinion on how someone else chose to dress their own child.

TheFifthKey Wed 15-Mar-17 21:08:40

I don't think this actually happened - there's no actual source here, just a Facebook post?

greenlavender Wed 15-Mar-17 21:11:19

They are totally ridiculous and unnecessary

londonrach Wed 15-Mar-17 21:14:19

Sadly thefifth...its all over the news. Although fb does seem its main location.

policehour.co.uk/2017/03/mums-warming-facebook-after-14-week-old-baby-dies-wearing-big-bow-headband/

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/devastated-mum-issues-tragic-warning-10025395?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Lambbone Wed 15-Mar-17 21:15:19

Whenever I have worn a hair band, bow or clip it has given me a fearful headache, so when I see a small girl with such stuff in her hair it does worry me - that she may be really miserable and the parents don't realise.

Never occurred to me it might be actually dangerous though.

TheFifthKey Wed 15-Mar-17 21:15:34

Yeah but they're all just repeating the same Facebook post. Lazy journalism without any confirmed sources.

ImFuckingSpartacus Wed 15-Mar-17 21:18:11

They shouldn't wear them while asleep, or unattended. While they are fugly and stupid, they can wear them perfectly safely if used with caution.

Babies have suffocated on their own clothes, but you don't warn people to make sure all babies are naked.

cherish123 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:19:03

Tragic.

I am not sure why anyone would put one on a baby. They are: hideous, naff, pointless.

RunningBetty Wed 15-Mar-17 21:19:55

Sadly i have heard very similar story from a friend. Her husband is an a+e consultant. The baby was in the back of the car next to an older sibling. Again the wide band had slipped and suffocated the baby. Heartbreaking and so easily avoided.

Littlelanecountrygirl Wed 15-Mar-17 21:20:04

I'm amazed that people are surprised that a headband could be dangerous to a baby It's a closed loop of material a few inches above your neck which a baby can't remove. No shit it's dangerous hmm

itsbeenaverylongweek Wed 15-Mar-17 21:20:44

Facebook post was deleted & Scottish police wouldn't confirm the story so no verification. Would be pretty sick to make it up though sad

Iamastonished Wed 15-Mar-17 21:21:36

I think there is more danger from a headband than clothes though. So tragic and unnecessary.

BertieBotts Wed 15-Mar-17 21:22:45

IIRC death by suffocation is not confirmable. That is why there is suffocation-avoiding sleep advice, such as avoiding fluffy blankets and pillows, mixed in with general SIDS prevention advice like keeping the temperature of the room low and placing babies on their backs to sleep.

It's possible that the tragic death of the little girl has been attributed to the headband because of the placement of it at the time of death whereas it could have been an ordinary cot death.

That said, heavy fabric over the mouth and nose could easily obstruct breathing and perhaps it wouldn't take very long for a baby to reach distress.

Either way what an awful thing to happen sad

Ericaequites Wed 15-Mar-17 21:23:34

My sister was talking and running before she had hair. Mother would have loved headbands and small bows for a little girl when going out, especially when people ask why you cut off all her hair.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Wed 15-Mar-17 21:23:47

I don't like them and think they look weird but I don't have DCs and accept that I'm in the minority with this opinion.

StudentMum92 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:25:49

Clothing are a nessessary to keep a baby warn, headbands are not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now