To ask you how I'd hide my identity on mumsnet

(14 Posts)
FlamingoPrincess1977 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:53:30

I've not been here too long! (Long time lurker!) but have a few posts. I've noticed that people have brought up previous posting history and it has lead to people being "outed" just wondered if it was an ok thing to ask or if it was dishonest, and if it wasn't unreasonable if someone could help me hide myself!

Thanks

asknicely Wed 15-Mar-17 17:56:17

Just name change frequently

JaneJeffer Wed 15-Mar-17 17:56:28

There's no hiding from what you've put out there unless you name change.

AnathemaPulsifer Wed 15-Mar-17 17:58:08

Go into your account and change your name. If you want to remain anonymous change it fairly frequently. If you post easily recognisable family drama people will spot you anyway, but it stops a casual observer connecting the dots.

Watto1 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:59:10

Just change a few inconsequential details that don't affect the story you are trying to tell. Eg, change a DS for a DD or instead of talking about a holiday in Greece, talk about a holiday in Spain.

FiveMinutesAlone Wed 15-Mar-17 18:00:06

It's easy to name change.

Go to your account, and there should be a box letting you type in a new username. You'll need to put your password in to confirm the change. The trickiest bit is thinking of a username that's not taken.

I tend to name change every so often. It's fine as long as you don't start sock puppetting.

AnathemaPulsifer Wed 15-Mar-17 18:01:06

^sock puppeting is when you use two different names on the same thread to back yourself up.

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-Mar-17 18:01:48

Is it necessary? How much of your RL are posting about?

RubyWinterstorm Wed 15-Mar-17 18:01:55

I name change every now and then.

And always bear in mind that I could end up quoted in the Daily Mail shock

remoaniac Wed 15-Mar-17 18:02:08

Good post, OP, it has prompted me to change my name again as I have been posting more and more identifying information on here.

Mind you, people seem to be able to find Xenia in all her versions, so they can probably link posters with different names together if they try hard enough.

HecateAntaia Wed 15-Mar-17 18:03:59

there is an advanced search facility on the site. people cant really complain if others make use of something the owners of the site provided.

to avoid being outed dont put anything online that you dont want people in your life to know.
thats the only 100% guaranteed way.

you could change your username frequently. you could lie about bits. basically troll 101 here 😁

but really if you worry about being recognised be sensible with what information you choose to disclose.

PhilODox Wed 15-Mar-17 18:07:36

Depends whether you're Katie Hopkins, or Emily Smith from Stoke!

Witchend Wed 15-Mar-17 18:09:58

Name changing.

But if I'm posting something that might get someone saying "hey, that's me" I change details. So dsis might become my cousin, mil might become a friend of dm etc. Not when it changes the story, but then I'll change other details.

I always wondered in another group adding an extra fictitious child who only got mentioned as an aside, but never did it. grin

NerrSnerr Wed 15-Mar-17 18:17:05

Name change or don't post things you don't want people knowing about or that are identifiable.

I don't name change but I don't say too much about my personal life and the stuff I do say I make sure is vague or not going to make me or someone recognising themselves feel bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now