Talk

Advanced search

to wonder about ice cream prices ("Ben & Jerry's")

(30 Posts)
xmaspost Wed 15-Mar-17 16:47:07

For the past few weeks, I've been helping out a friend with weekly shopping for a neighbour recovering from a car accident that has left him temporarily in a wheelchair ... one item on the list is "Ben & Jerry's" ice cream.

Ice cream is not something I buy/eat, but it's surprising the price difference in different shops. It varies hugely ... much more so than anything else on list.

I'm not too careful when shopping myself, but the different for his list of shopping varies a good amount depending on the shop. Makes me think ....

Soubriquet Wed 15-Mar-17 16:48:58

Oh yes it's a very expensive ice cream but worth every penny

And worth shopping around for

Iceland have an offer on it at the moment

RJnomore1 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:50:16

Oh it's vile buy him some Kelly's or Mackies instead.

Overpriced overrated crap. My kids love it 😕

00100001 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:50:22

If you get cheap ice cream, it has lots of air in it, so you're buying less icecream... and the ingredients aren't as good.

I saw something online about this just the other day.

I'll go and find it!

GreyStars Wed 15-Mar-17 16:50:44

I think your doing a lovely thing for your neighbour, so I'm sure they expect you to just get it from wherever you go not do a massive hunt for a bargain.

BewtySkoolDropowt Wed 15-Mar-17 16:50:46

This is a great website where you can compare prices easily www.mysupermarket.co.uk

OnionKnight Wed 15-Mar-17 16:52:11

Oh it's vile buy him some Kelly's or Mackies instead.

He wants Ben & Jerry's hmm

00100001 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:54:51

can't find iot, but found this instead

www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/729824/Supershoppers-channel-4-ice-cream-brands-cost

RJnomore1 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:58:10

Yes onion but he is WRONG on so many levels grin

Ellisandra Wed 15-Mar-17 16:58:43

I'm not sure if you mean that B&J vs other ice cream is very different, or that B&J in different shops varies?

It's very frequently on offer, half price - I don't buy it if not, it's so often on offer. So that would explain shop to shop variance.

For difference vs other ice cream? It's positioned at a luxury (albeit mainstream luxury) price point. It's pretty similar in price to Haagen Daas.

Some of that is pure marketing. And some of it is ingredient quality and overall product taste / quality.

Nothing beats B&J Cherry Garcia!

alltouchedout Wed 15-Mar-17 17:19:34

Ben & Jerry's was on offer in a Sainsbury's I was in yesterday misses actual point of thread

Butteredparsnip1ps Wed 15-Mar-17 17:20:15

Ice-cream is sold by volume not weight. So a 500ml tub of ben and jerry's might be better value than you think. If you were to weigh a similar sized tub of cheap ice-cream it would be lighter because it would have more air in it.

IIRC Ice-cream manufacturers are only allowed to call their product dairy ice-cream if it is actually made from dairy ingredients, which only the premium brands are. Walls Carte D'or for example isn't allowed to refer to itself as dairy ice-cream because it isn't.

As with many things you get what you pay for...

user1476185294 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:21:37

Bought DH some Kellys the other day, as he wanted ice cream which we don't normally buy. It was lovely but I'd rather have a tub of B&J any day. So much flavour, it's more like a proper dessert where as the Kellys was lovely but I felt it should be a side to a crumble or pie or similar.

Burntbum Wed 15-Mar-17 17:23:22

I used to live in Vermont and a shop nearby sold Ben and Jerry's factory seconds for a dollar a tub. Little wonder I gained so much weight living there!

Oldraver Wed 15-Mar-17 17:24:32

It is expensive at full price...but there is nearly always an offer on somewhere

BeMorePanda Wed 15-Mar-17 17:26:18

I only buy Ben & Jerry's & Haagan Daas on offer - I love ice cream! But I am happy to only eat it when it is on offer.

balence49 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:26:38

My friend spent ages trying to convince me that it's a waste of money and you are only paying for the name... not true at all in this case. Maybe with some stuff but not Ben and jerrys. As she now agrees after I made her do a blind test on that vs the decent supermarket one. I only ever pay 2.50 tho no way would I spend a fiver on it.

IntoTheDeep Wed 15-Mar-17 17:53:47

The only Ben and Jerry flavours stocked round where I live are all chocolate based or have chocolate bits in.

So I never buy it because I don't like chocolatey ice cream.

But based on the rare occasions I've eaten it, I'd agree it's a good quality ice cream. Just a shame about the flavours.

Birdsgottaf1y Wed 15-Mar-17 17:59:25

When you say that you aren't a fussy shopper does that mean ethical wise, as well?

As said B&J is nice and it's farms/trades a lot more ethically than some brands.

Farm Foods sell it constantly at £2.50.

EmeraldScorn Wed 15-Mar-17 18:00:59

Ben & Jerry's cookie dough ice cream is lovely but I also like Maud's ice cream!

xmaspost Fri 17-Mar-17 16:41:35

So my friend's trip was extended a few days, so my she asked me to shop again for her neighbour.

Seemed not basic/plain BJ option in the shop...all mixtures of different things. But was on special offer so I got extra one for me (a cherry flavour one), and will try later this evening.

Also, as I waiting in queue I ws wondering why Philip just doesn't do his shopping online delivery? Hmmmnnn...

Ellisandra Fri 17-Mar-17 18:22:09

If you have Cherry Garcia, you need to invite me over grin

And no, you won't have found "plain" - that's why it's a fiver a tub full price!

Ericaequites Fri 17-Mar-17 18:36:27

In the States, you can buy plain vanilla Ben and Jerry's. It's delicious and addictive in most flavors. Remember the pint tub is not a single serving size:-)

Soubriquet Fri 17-Mar-17 18:55:18

Remember the pint tub is not a single serving size:

Urm yes it is grin

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Fri 17-Mar-17 19:00:55

Ben and jerrys is one of those things that each shop has on special half price offer for one week out of every 3. See also dishwasher tablets and vitamin tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now