Talk

Advanced search

Covered in dog shit!

(28 Posts)
Snugglepalace Wed 15-Mar-17 14:02:22

I am a dog walker and I also pop into peoples houses at lunchtime to let their dogs out in the garden for 30 mins or so.

There is this one house that I visit. The dog is lovely but very very bouncy and is hardly trained. He jumps up ALL of the time. I try to train him not to but obviously my attempts are futile as the owners do not train him.

They have a very small garden and its usually covered in dog shit! I've mentioned this to them on numerous occasion but it falls on deaf ears.

On my visit today, the dog runs out into the garden and I play ball with him. He comes back and as usual jumps up and constantly paws me. My black leggings are covered in mud, or I though it was mud until I get a nasty whiff, he's trodden in shit and covered me, so I have to cut the visit short to get home and clean up!

AIBU to expect a cleaner garden? Surely nobody is that busy that they can not clean up after their dog?

I am seriously considering giving this one up, although I feel bad for the poor dog, apart from my visit he is left in the home all day!

EastDulwichWife Wed 15-Mar-17 14:07:03

Not at all! Can you afford to lose this particular job? If so, I'd tell them you can't be expected to look after him in those conditions and won't be able to continue. It's dangerous for you and cruel to the dog.

Sounds really grim for you - hope you've been able to have a hot shower!

Bellerophon Wed 15-Mar-17 14:07:41

Tell them that they have to clean it up, or they find another dog sitter

Disgusting people

xStefx Wed 15-Mar-17 14:11:20

I would tell them what happened and that youll have to stop your visits if they cant clean up their garden. They will either do what you have asked or you wont hear from them again.

Snugglepalace Wed 15-Mar-17 14:28:53

The dog must regularly stand in it as the garden is full of it. He has a free run of the house and sits in the sofas etc, they must be aware of this?
They never listen, I'm going to have to give this one up, could really do with the money though and I'll miss the dog.
And yes, I did have a shower as soon as I got home and stuck the clothes in a hot wash angry

krustykittens Wed 15-Mar-17 14:31:44

That is absolutely disgusting! I would say something and keep your fingers crossed that they clean up. Sounds like that poor dog really needs you.

Deathraystare Wed 15-Mar-17 14:38:11

Well you can try to embarrass them by explaining why you won't be coming round to take the dog out anymore but it won't change them. They are too lazy to clear up or take the poor dog for a walk. Why do these people have dogs???!!

That reminds me. When I see p[eople walking the dog, not allowing themtime to poo/piss. Dogs also like to have a good sniff to check out who has been there before. Wee mail - which is doggy email. People won't give them time. It must make the walk so boring for the dog. I have seen dogs crouch and their owners drag them along.

walkingthedogs Wed 15-Mar-17 14:57:16

I would just pick the poo up before I played with the dog

LizzieMacQueen Wed 15-Mar-17 15:02:18

Do you visit daily? Maybe (mistakenly) they have assumed you will pick up the dog poo?

Dizzy199 Wed 15-Mar-17 15:02:59

On one of the rspca programmes I saw someone being warned about ther poo filled garden being unsuitable for their dog. If it is really awful and you are concerned about a welfare issue, you could report them if you feel it is appropriate?

milliemolliemou Wed 15-Mar-17 15:27:23

I'd write to them to say you won't be coming again because their garden is filthy and a health risk for the dog and for you. that it's unfair on the dog. If they clean it up and keep it clean you'd be prepared to go back.

Do they walk it themselves or does it just get half an hour with you? I'd be prepared to go to the RSPCA>

Snugglepalace Wed 15-Mar-17 17:15:54

The dog is well care for and gets a walk (by the owners) every day but they just don't seem to do a dog poop check in the garden like I, (and most owners) do. I have thought about texting something like 'there was some poop in the garden today and could you let me know where you keep the doggy bags for future times as I didn't want to rummage in your drawers! ' but I don't want them thinking that'll be my job to do in the future, this wasn't agreed at the beginning, I don't do it at my other dogs houses and I don't feel it's my job to do that. Obviously, I do as part of my dog walking obligations but I feel it's a home owners responsibility if it is on their property and whilst they are there and I'm not, surely!?

JigglyTuff Wed 15-Mar-17 17:26:01

Oh no, don't do that or they'll just put you on poo duty! I'd text them and say that their dog was covered in shit from the garden and you had to go home because he covered you in shit too.

And see what they say

walkingthedogs Wed 15-Mar-17 17:34:03

Could you take the dog out for a walk instead? If you could then you wouldn't have to go in the garden and you both stay clean smile

Snugglepalace Wed 15-Mar-17 19:13:46

Jiggle - your right, I'm going to send a txt tonight.
Walking - I've offered to walk him but they prefer I didn't as he's so scatty and unruly!

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Wed 15-Mar-17 19:18:36

What about telling them what happened, how inconvenient it was for you and dangerous for the dog and then suggest that you'll lift the poo for extra money? Otherwise tell them they need to lift it or you can't keep their dog on?

Snugglepalace Fri 17-Mar-17 12:52:42

So, after texting and explaining about Wed I go to the house today, walk in garden and guess what? Yep, the crap is still there along with 4 other loads in other areas of the garden - ffs what's wrong with people?! angry

ThePiglet59 Fri 17-Mar-17 13:07:38

They are filthy pigs, that's what is wrong with them. My parents were like that, and our house was covered in dog poo when I was growing up. I would contact the RSPCA. That dog needs to be with different owners.

PerfectPenquins Fri 17-Mar-17 16:55:19

If the dog is well cared for otherwise which you say he is the the rspca won't do anything it takes a lot to get them to actually do their job in my experience. I'd drop this client if you can sounds like they aren't going to change at all

GeillisTheWitch Fri 17-Mar-17 17:00:40

I wouldn't be going back there. Clarty bastards. You're not paid enough to deal with this shit, literally.

Topseyt Fri 17-Mar-17 17:30:49

Do they ever clear their garden?

Whilst it is true that dog owners have more leeway in their own gardens about exactly when they pick up their dog's shit, I understand that it is still illegal to allow it to become a health hazard.

Text them as you have already suggested you will to mention it as tactfully as possible. If they don't tackle it then they may have to find another dog walker, or you could get your local council's environmental health officer to write them a warning letter (they can couch it as though neighbours etc. have made a number of complaints about smell and stuff, without naming names).

I have two dogs. A labrador and a cocker spaniel. I normally clear my garden every day and I can't stand it starting to build up, which it does very quickly if I don't keep on top of the job.

Topseyt Fri 17-Mar-17 17:33:16

It is not the RSPCA. It is your local council's environmental health team and animal warden who usually deal with this sort of thing.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 17-Mar-17 17:33:17

They dont train the dog, they dont walk it, they dont clean up after it; why do they have it at all? Ditch them as clients.
I feel sorry for the dog but you cant enable that.
You can also report them to the Environmental Health. They can force them to clean the yard.

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Mar-17 17:34:21

They have no shame. Have you explained that unless they pick up the poo you'll have to dump them wink

PoisonousSmurf Fri 17-Mar-17 17:35:24

And you believe that they walk the dog? Only people who never walk their dog, let the garden get that bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now