Talk

Advanced search

Equal Pay - WWYD/ABIU?

(14 Posts)
GeorgesMummy1 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:25:22

Not sure if anyone can offer any advice?
I have worked at a small family run (not my family) business with approx. 10-15 employees. It may be relevant that I am the only female employee. Have been employed as a receptionist/credit controller/transport co-ordinator amongst other things that come with day to day office duties since June 2010 doing between 25 and 30 hours per week.

We have recently employed a full time accounts manager - been here about 8 months (which was once my role) and so far he has been great to work with and has really streamlined the accounts department.

He has been on sick leave for the past 10 days so I have been covering for him, this is not a problem at all BUT I have now had access to the payroll and am quite shocked to learn the amount that all the other employees are on.

For instance, there is a young chap (19yo) who works on the factory floor, loading and unloading deliveries and sweeping up etc. He is earning 50% more than I am. We both work the same hours. There is also a couple of other office staff who are on a great deal more than that.

My question is how do I bring this up? Plus I am not sure I was actually supposed to see the figures for each employee, just the total IYSWIM?

Any suggestions, advice from anyone who has been through similar would be gratefully appreciated as I am at work now and seething!

chickenlickencluck Wed 15-Mar-17 13:45:13

Tricky, and quits right to feel mightily pissed off.

How badly do you need the job? Are you employable elsewhere? You might need to be prepared to threaten to leave unless they increase your salary

chickenlickencluck Wed 15-Mar-17 13:47:04

A few years ago I found out a was being paid a lot less than a male colleague who was two years more qualified than me. When I was told one year there would be no pay rise for me, I told them I would look forward to a huge pay rise the following year, given what x was paid. I got a pay rise. You need to play hardball.

NewIdeasToday Wed 15-Mar-17 13:47:06

You can't bring this up based on the completely confidential payroll info you've been working on. That would be exceptionally unprofessional and potentially a disciplinary offence.

Topuptheglass Wed 15-Mar-17 13:50:13

Could you request a payrise in writing?

A request would open up communication regarding pay rates & you need never say you saw the others wages.

When was your last pay rise?

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Wed 15-Mar-17 13:54:09

Who is paid in line with similar jobs locally, you or the 19 year old?

If you are underpaid compared to jobs locally as well then you really need to ask for a pay rise or find another job paying more.

I guess if you are doing payroll then it stands to reason you will see what everyone is earning. Probably best to keep what you've found close to your chest I guess though.

GeorgesMummy1 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:19:50

Am still mad 😡 Think I'm going to have to put it in writing to request a pay rise (never had one!) does anyone have any idea how to word it please?

Sonders Wed 15-Mar-17 17:46:48

I'd probably wait a while so that's it's not totally obvious what your motivations are for asking.

Start with a casual conversation about wanting a meeting about your role within the company. Follow up by email when they agree a place and time. At the meeting, talk about how much you've enjoyed your time and the company, and how your contribution has helped them to grow. Specifically include the example about how you used to do the account as part of your role, but it's grown so much they employed someone specifically to do that.

Then go in to how you'd like to negotiate your salary - you can be pretty blunt here as hopefully by this point they've just been agreeing that you're fabulous. Definitely have an idea in mind - one that is your objective and a second figure that you'll settle for.

They may ask you to justify the raise, and say it's because of your contributions - but also ask them what they think you can do to move forward - e.g. take up responsibilities. If this happens, make sure you have a set time frame and schedule the follow up meeting then and there.

Good luck!

Happyandhungry Wed 15-Mar-17 17:49:42

You haven't had a payrise in 7 years?! Ouch! Definitely put in a request for a substantial payrise and explain that you can earn £x amount for a similar job elsewhere and that you've never had a payrise and they will probably be forced to agree. Don't mention other peoples wages but maybe if pushed mention is verbally but dont write it down anywhere!

PizzaPower Wed 15-Mar-17 17:58:35

I think you need to tread very carefully OP. You have access to privileged information and are wanting to use it to benefit yourself.

This might not sit well with your employer.

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 15-Mar-17 18:09:17

You have never had a pay rise? Have you ever asked for one? I'm afraid it sound like they are walking all over you because the probably think you are a soft touch.
Make a note of the average salary for your job role in your area and also write down examples of times you have done a good job and added value to the company. Explain based on this and not having had a pay rise that you think you are worth x amount.

alfagirl73 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:16:15

You can only bring an "equal pay" claim as such or argue "equal pay" if you are doing the same job/like work as other employees who are being paid more on the grounds of sex - eg. there are 5 employees doing the exact same job - 4 are men all being paid x and you are the only female employee being paid y (less than them).

If I were you I would put together a business case for a pay rise. Have you taken on extra responsibilities over your time there? Discuss your length of service there - your experience and knowledge in the job. Perhaps look up similar jobs in the area and look at what the average pay is for those so you can argue market rate for that type of job. Make it on your merit rather than because you're (rightly) pissed off at seeing other people's pay. If you make a solid argument and clearly state what you want, they'll take you more seriously.

Wtfdoipick Wed 15-Mar-17 18:27:17

For instance, there is a young chap (19yo) who works on the factory floor, loading and unloading deliveries and sweeping up etc. He is earning 50% more than I am.

Thing with a job like that is it is frequently looked down on. Our equivalent member of staff earns more than the office staff due to needing a forklift license. You need to check not just the going rate for your job but also his.

Yamadori Wed 15-Mar-17 18:33:38

You can only bring an "equal pay" claim as such or argue "equal pay" if you are doing the same job/like work

Actually, this isn't the case, you only have to prove that the job you are doing is of equal skill/value - as my local council found out to their enormous cost when they were taken to court by a large number of their (almost exclusively female) clerical staff, who were being paid a lot less than the male maintenance staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now