Urgent - any French speakers available please?

(9 Posts)
PamplemousseRouge Wed 15-Mar-17 11:42:19

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is a rubbish AIBU!

I recently did another thread about this, but unfortunately haven't managed to find anyone to help.

I'm applying for an internship and the deadline is coming up next Monday. I've been asked as part of the application to submit a cover letter in French. As French isn't my first language, I'd be really grateful if anyone could perhaps proofread the letter please just to check it. Would anyone on here be happy to help please?

Thanks so much everyone smile

BeyondUnderthinking Wed 15-Mar-17 11:44:36

It's DHs second language. Obviously a native is preferable, but if one doesn't turn up, I can get him to read over it for you? smile

Astoria7974 Wed 15-Mar-17 11:47:23

I think you should submit it without getting it proofread because they need to understand your level of French & that is why they probably asked you for a French language CV. If it is artificially perfect then you're giving them a misleading impression.

pimmsy Wed 15-Mar-17 11:52:48

I'm french native and will be happy to have a look. If you want I can P.M you my email.

TrickyD Wed 15-Mar-17 12:08:42

I understand your point Astoria, but equally the employer might be impressed by the OP's initiative, provided she comes clean about it.

Astoria7974 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:15:26

TrickyD - generally when I ask for a CV in a particular language it's because I want to know what their language skills look like (not a proof-readers).

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 15-Mar-17 12:23:34

I would have it proof read, just as I would do in English...

inoa77 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:03:03

OP, I am French, and like pimmsy happy to have a look at it.

PamplemousseRouge Wed 15-Mar-17 15:30:36

Thanks so much, everyone smile I completely understand your point Astoria and I fully agree with you.

I suppose it's because French is not my first language so I don't feel completely confident using it. Having a native French speaker look over the letter would be a huge help both practically and psychologically.

I've previously asked family or friends to look over things in English that I've written like my dissertation or personal statements for jobs, so I suppose it's just a final check to (hopefully) put my mind at rest really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now