We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The most glamorous girls in town are boys.

(205 Posts)
PhyllisDoris Wed 15-Mar-17 00:16:19

How is this ok, but dressing up as a black person isn't?

Isn't it about time men dressing as a parody of women was banned?

cowgirlsareforever Wed 15-Mar-17 00:20:36

What do you find offensive about this OP?

TheWorldAccordingToToads Wed 15-Mar-17 00:21:17

How is this ok, but dressing up as a black person isn't?

Because racism and sexism aren't the same OP. Racism is much much worse...

Heratnumber7 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:24:46

Racism is much worse
Is it? I don't agree. I think racism and sexism are equally as awful as each other.

cowgirlsareforever Wed 15-Mar-17 00:25:54

Would you class all men who like to dress up as 'parodies of women?' What are you asking to happen? Transvestites to be arrested?

TheWorldAccordingToToads Wed 15-Mar-17 00:27:24

I don't agree either Heratnumber7. However IME racism is taken much more seriously than sexism.

cowgirlsareforever Wed 15-Mar-17 00:27:58

Men who wear lipstick and nail varnish, as Eddie Izzard often does and little boys who prefer princess dresses to be thrown into a prison cell?

OfaFrenchmind2 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:29:09

Sexism is just as awful as racism imo. It isolates, devalues and kills as much as racism.

TheWorldAccordingToToads Wed 15-Mar-17 00:33:34

Sexism is just as awful as racism imo.

Tell society that.

Notmyrealname85 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:35:09

Banned to whose benefit, who is this undermining and how?

Drag actually has a really interesting history. Drag artists have been at the forefront of fighting for lbgt rights for generations - look at stonewall. They've often been marginalised by us straight people (assuming these posters are!) and gay people who didn't think they were good representatives of the gay community.

I always thought drag was a lighthearted and fun form of entertainment! Honestly I can't find a reason to take offence at it but it would be genuinely interesting to know why it's taken you aback

Notmyrealname85 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:37:23

Full disclosure: as a young 20something moving to a big city, I was looked after by my next door neighbour who was so incredibly kind and generous... And made his money doing drag smile he was the most kind and gentle soul... So I am biased!! Behind everyone's makeup and costume there's a real person, maybe with more in common with you than you'd first know smile

cowgirlsareforever Wed 15-Mar-17 00:43:24

I honestly believed that drag was a celebration of women, not a pisstake.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 15-Mar-17 00:46:15

Don't see the issue.

reallyanotherone Wed 15-Mar-17 00:49:49

I don't mind drag.

The problem i have with the tagline- the most glamorous women are boys, is the concept that of course men "do" women better than any woman could hmm.

it does remind me of blackface, the "superior" dressing as the oppressed. Supposedly light hearted fun, but with the message of look at us, being better than you.

Kiwiinkits Wed 15-Mar-17 00:49:52

It's a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things.

I'm more worried about the likes of 'The Real Housewives' franchise and 'the Bachelor' being representations of real women doing real life women stuff. When that couldn't be further from the truth. Real women are far more together, more thoughtful, less bitchy, more intelligent than the morons who put themselves forward for this form of reality TV.

Janey50 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:50:50

Exactly why is racism far far worse than sexism? confused

Paninotogo Wed 15-Mar-17 00:51:32

How is racism worse toads? Are you a man? Cock

Kiwiinkits Wed 15-Mar-17 00:53:16

Who wants to be glamorous, anyway? That's a lot of work for NO GAIN. If the drag queens take this prize, great for them, they get to spend their precious time doing make up and hair and squeezing themselves into uncomfortable shoes. Lucky them, NOT. I'll bank that extra time and use it for something important, thanks.

Megatherium Wed 15-Mar-17 00:59:18

Ever been to the panto, OP? Did you object to this?

Broken11Girl Wed 15-Mar-17 01:01:30

I think Toads was being sarcastic.
Agree, OP. 'Minstrels' were banned 60 years ago.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 15-Mar-17 01:07:38

Oh please. Haven't you heard of drag kings OP? That's women dressing up as men and performing. They're not as prevelant as drag queens but they're out there.

You can't get offended by drag. It's a beautiful, inclusive art form which champoions women's rights.

RuPaul's Drag Race has helped thousands of kids get some confidence and learn a few life lessons. My DD included.

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 15-Mar-17 01:08:58

Toads of course sexism is as bad as racism. You're saying "tell society that" doesn't mean shit apart from you're back tracking.

Society isn't as far ahead in beating sexism as it is in beating racism but that doesn't mean racism is worse.

But it's not a competition.

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 15-Mar-17 01:09:31

For fucks sake.

Notmyrealname85 Wed 15-Mar-17 01:11:00

Jonesy mega fan of rupaul here! Amongst all the glamour and plot lines it hurts to hear some of the contestants' back stories, there's so much unkindness from families and threats of violence out there sad

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 15-Mar-17 01:11:12

And another thing about drag. Listen to and watch some of the best drag queens and they'll all tell you they are drag artists because of their admiration for women and their love for the aesthetic.

Most of them see icons such as Maddonna, Judy Garland, Beyonce etc as amazing and beautiful women they want to emulate and have done since they were little boys.

It's not about parody but about paying homage.

Yes there are funny queens like Lilly Savage but at the heart of all drag is love for women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now