Talk

Advanced search

To ask what strange foods you have eaten?

(116 Posts)
hellokittymania Tue 14-Mar-17 19:28:05

In the Philippines I have eaten ice cream with chili, pork intestines and fried fat intestines and a few other things . Bicol Express was good but I still don't know what was in it. I draw the line though at trying goats eyes Ballut. I don't like eggs anyway unless they are made of chocolate grin

I have also had dog and sneak in Vietnam and fill worms and crickets in Thailand.

Except for the ice cream and the Bicol express, I don't think I would want to try the other things again

Thingsgettingstranger Tue 14-Mar-17 19:37:51

Lettuce and custard. I don't know why but I was craving it. Very nice.

KKthePanda Tue 14-Mar-17 19:40:54

Various creepy crawlies and drank goats blood mixed with milk, wouldn't recommend either, both absolutely rank

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:43:00

Shark
Didn't know what it was or wouldn't have eaten it BTW.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Tue 14-Mar-17 19:51:55

Ostrich burgers, when I had them they weren't very common, they're much more popular now though.

Klaphat Tue 14-Mar-17 19:59:22

I've eaten plenty of different types of herring on rye bread since then, but the day I had Bismarckhering in a roll like that I was still a bit picky, but absolutely ravenous, and my companion was most surprised when I wolfed it down. I think he bought it for the lols when I presumably would look at it and be horrified.

I've also had smoked eel, was quite nice.

Juveniledelinquent Tue 14-Mar-17 19:59:59

I'm upset and disgusted that the OP has eaten dog.

PageNowFoundFileUnderSpartacus Tue 14-Mar-17 20:00:07

Does a MacDonalds Filet-o-Fish count?

hellokittymania Tue 14-Mar-17 20:01:22

Panda they both song gruesome ! At this one restaurant in Mindanao they specialize in goat everything but I don't think that one was on the menu .... just the thought ....

greenworm Tue 14-Mar-17 20:04:00

Squirrel, but there was hardly any meat on it, a lot of gnawing involved, and it wasn't really worth the bother.

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 14-Mar-17 20:04:23

I've eaten Ye Old Oak hotdogs a few times. I dread to think what they're made of!
Aside from that -
A lovely pot of mixed seafood from Lulworth Cove that contained all sorts of things including a tiny octopus!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Tue 14-Mar-17 20:04:46

In some countries it's normal to eat dog, just like it's normal to eat cows and pigs and chickens in this country.

MerryRealisation Tue 14-Mar-17 20:07:09

I've eaten squirrel as well. It was BBQ'd and a bit rubbery.

WaegukSaram Tue 14-Mar-17 20:08:46

I've eaten dog, too. I didn't enjoy it, and I'd never eat it again. I was with a group and did it to be polite.

The weirdest thing I ate was some weird sea creature, it was chopped up but still moving as I ate it.

TwentyCups Tue 14-Mar-17 20:10:55

No use being upset and disgusted over eating dog unless you feel exactly the same about cows, pigs and chickens. There is no difference.
And I say that as a vegan.

However to add to the thread - as a very small child (4 or so) I ate reindeer having been told it was ham! Was most upset at being tricked into eating Rudolph grin. Perhaps not surprising I stopped eating meat shortly after!

pinkpopcorn Tue 14-Mar-17 20:11:25

I had Guinea pig whilst in Peru. It still had its head including teeth! It was really crispy, so tasted pretty good smile

Nomorechickens Tue 14-Mar-17 20:13:07

Friend in a French restaurant, proud at how well he could read French, ordered escargots (snails). Unfortunately he didn't look properly because they we actually escargots de mer, sea slugs. Apparently they were pretty much as you'd expect ie rubbery, slimy, salty and not really edible

SmileEachDay Tue 14-Mar-17 20:14:28

I'm upset and disgusted that the OP has eaten dog. Why?

Tripe. Absolutely disgusting.
Jellied pigs trotters.

123bananas Tue 14-Mar-17 20:16:18

Crocodile - like chickeny fish

Lungs - not sure what animal- didn't like the rubbery texture.

Tripe <boak>

Sea snail <boak>

Land snail - yum with garlic

Drew the line at brains.

Ants, coal, soap, worms and mud as a young child.

TinyBarista Tue 14-Mar-17 20:18:13

Another BBQ'ed squirrel eater here. Was hairy and reminded me of a testicle. Appetising... hmm

venys Tue 14-Mar-17 20:19:17

I was going to say Cuy (Guinea Pig) except I didn't like mine. I am usually like most foods too. I have had reindeer , pickled herring, and smoked eel too but I actually didn't think it was that unusual in this part of the world. I have had llama in Ecuador (actually quite nice) and crocodile and emu in Australia. But nothing weird like creepy crawlies or monkey brains I am afraid.

hellokittymania Tue 14-Mar-17 20:21:50

Dog is actually eaten in many countries northern Thailand and the Philippines Laos I believe Vietnam and China. Not something I would recommend but when you're the guest and people go out of their way then you try it. I usually ask people not to tell me what I am eating until after I had finished eating it . grin The pig intestine fat got a few laughs while I was eating it.

I don't think dog is as bad as urine the eggs or what ever they are called.

WaegukSaram Tue 14-Mar-17 20:22:05

I've eaten sea slugs before - they are absolutely VILE, and I say that as someone who likes just about everything.

hellokittymania Tue 14-Mar-17 20:24:56

gizmodo.com/5897678/chinas-urine-boiled-eggs-are-a-cultural-delicacy

The urine eggs

ArchNotImpudent Tue 14-Mar-17 20:26:28

Sheeps brains - in Bulgaria - had taken a couple of mouthfuls before someone told me what they were, and then I couldn't face eating any more - though from what I remember they didn't taste unpleasant, and had the texture of dried mushrooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now