Talk

Advanced search

Is it 'common' to smoke on your front step?

(202 Posts)
LookAtTheFlowersKerry Tue 14-Mar-17 18:30:05

My mother has spotted my decorative boot ashtray out the front. She is HORRIFIED.

I smoke out the front if it's raining (there's a covered bit, porchy thing). Otherwise I smoke out the back.

My mother says it's terribly low class and my neighbours will all judge me. They normally just say hello tbh, and comment on the shitty weather.

Is she right though? Am I committing a terrible faux pas?

What's worse is that I'm often in my pjs and slippers...

Aibu?

bignamechangeroonie Tue 14-Mar-17 18:32:20

Anyone with a decorative boot ashtray doesn't have to worry about being perceived as common.

You ARE common, embrace it and get a waving windmill thingy from Poundland grin

Purplebluebird Tue 14-Mar-17 18:32:32

Sorry but I find that a bit strange, wouldn't care enough to judge you though grin

SummerHouse Tue 14-Mar-17 18:32:54

<clutches pearls>

You have a decorative boot shockconfusedblush

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 14-Mar-17 18:33:11

I used to do it in my last house, not this one as it's literally a main road, and my back door is better here.
I can't say I cared what anyone thought and same as you, people would just engage in a bit of small talk on the way past.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Tue 14-Mar-17 18:34:03

It's a decorative boot from Poundland grin

Justmuddlingalong Tue 14-Mar-17 18:34:08

Does your DM pay your rent/mortgage? If so, she's entitled to her opinion. If not...

Mrsemcgregor Tue 14-Mar-17 18:34:27

I wouldn't think anything of it if you were my neighbour. Maybe I am common too?!

Flumpernickel Tue 14-Mar-17 18:34:54

YABU it's terribly common and I would happily join you! grin I love upsetting curtain twitchers, count me in. wink

Crowdblundering Tue 14-Mar-17 18:35:26

My ex (was northern - I am southern grin) used to do it and it used to MORTIFY me would chat out there really loudly too so all the neighbours couod "hear our business".

OH DSMUM sits out front waving and saying hi to people (we have a VERY narrow path and people just don't do that round here 😂).

PovertyJetset Tue 14-Mar-17 18:35:41

Yeah I'd say your way past common with your Poundland ornaments and Jammies on out on your front door. grin

laurzj82 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:35:42

Haha my parents had a decorative boot. used as an ashtray

booksandcoffee Tue 14-Mar-17 18:36:30

I would just think that you are respecting a no smoking rule in the house and good for you.

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 14-Mar-17 18:37:38

I would probably have a little internal 'Urgh' because unchecked I will tend to think smoking is poor taste in general. I think it comes from the idea that it's an addiction and therefore a weakness, as well as being anti-social to boot. If I examine that further though I note that lots of people have vices, and that perhaps the biggest issue with smoking is that it typically is associated with the working class and is therefore subject to more scorn than it may perhaps deserve.

All that would probably run through my mind as I passed you, and I'd leave feeing a healthy dose of British guilt and uncomfortableness about class distinctions.

AYankinSpanx Tue 14-Mar-17 18:37:58

I"ve never seen anyone do this!

To be honest, my only two thoughts would be it's good that you're not smoking inside (around kids etc), and bloody hell, and having to stand outside to smoke would totally make me want to give up!!

I am imagining your hair in curlers though.

SquidgeyMidgey Tue 14-Mar-17 18:38:13

My reaction was it's just common to smoke, sure I'll be flamed for that but meh.

MagicMarkers Tue 14-Mar-17 18:38:20

Smoking itself is pretty common tbh. I agree with your mother about doing it in your pyjamas on your front step. It's not a good look.

My former neighbours used to smoke at the back of their house and it used to waft though into our house if the windows were open. It was pretty annoying.

Eolian Tue 14-Mar-17 18:38:46

Exactly what MooPoint said, to the letter.

Violetcharlotte Tue 14-Mar-17 18:39:11

I'm sure it very common, but I've done it plenty of times. Normally when it's raining so I can shelter under the porch. Otherwise I go in the garden.

AYankinSpanx Tue 14-Mar-17 18:40:01

Moo puts it all very well.

Huldra Tue 14-Mar-17 18:40:35

A few people do on the opposite side of our street, they have tiny shady gardens and it's warmer out front.

Yesterday I sat on my doorstep with my neighbour and had a beer.

LookAtTheFlowersKerry Tue 14-Mar-17 18:41:04

Haha! I'm not sure if it makes it worse or better that we live in a very 'naice' little estate, all detached houses and posh cars we don't fit the demographic.

The neighbours are all lovely and don't seem to have sprayed a big red X on our door yet, so we might be ok.

Cleebope Tue 14-Mar-17 18:41:31

Yes it's common as fuck but what the hell? Commoners have the most fun in life. I do it too but usually hide behind a bush whilst judging my really really common neighbour opposite who does it full frontal in the driveway.

DancingPenguin1 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:43:00

We used to have a flowerpot out the front of ours and occasionally the local travellers would come and see if they could get any tobacco out of the dog ends

Flyinggeese Tue 14-Mar-17 18:46:32

Another appreciating MooPoint's eloquence on this. Spot on. Exactly my reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now