Talk

Advanced search

To want to put a padlock on her bloody mouth

(56 Posts)
DerFlabberghast Tue 14-Mar-17 16:27:57

So, my mother has a friend, quite an old fashioned French lady, who is always sniping about everyone's eating habits, she herself is rail thin.
This lunchtime she declined most of the food offered in a very snooty way because roast potatoes are 'something fat girls eat' (!!!!) and told me off for snacking (it was bloody fruit!) and suggested that 'if I was a slave to such habits I should think about putting a padlock on the fridge'

I have put on bout a stone after getting out of rehab and am a healthy size 12. WIBU to tell the miserable putain to shag off.

DerFlabberghast Tue 14-Mar-17 16:30:43

She also told me (sorry for the double post I'm raging) that I used to be 'so nice and slim before' yes I was because I WAS ON DRUGS YOU GALLOPING BAGGAGE

CaliforniaHorcrux Tue 14-Mar-17 16:34:11

Doesn't sound like a friend, I couldn't say that kind of thing to a friend's daughter or anyone else. None of her business what you eat and shouldn't be saying it at all if she's the guest. No idea why she thought you made a habit of it and if she thinks size 12 is large then wtf

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 16:36:38

Does your mum's friend actually know that you have been preoccupied with the small matter of beating an addiction?!

KeemaNaan Tue 14-Mar-17 16:36:39

You need to learn the French for kiss my ass fuck face grin.

yellowfrog Tue 14-Mar-17 16:36:51

You would only be unreasonable if you did NOT tell her to shag off!!

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 16:37:12

Putain lol blush

yellowfrog Tue 14-Mar-17 16:37:41

Congrats on rehab by the way!!

iklboo Tue 14-Mar-17 16:37:47

Tais toi!

LittleIda Tue 14-Mar-17 16:40:01

Tell her to stick it up her skinny cul.

TheMerryWidow1 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:41:42

stupid woman, perhaps you should tell her exactly why you were "so nice and slim" give her a shock or get your mother to tell her not to be so rude you don't need that sort of comment after rehab, well done by the way.

BorpBorpBorp Tue 14-Mar-17 16:46:30

What a horrible life she must lead never eating roast potatoes, no wonder she's a miserable arsehole.

pimmsy Tue 14-Mar-17 16:47:03

You could reply

" Peut-être c'est parce que là, tu me gaves, grave!"

CheesyWeez Tue 14-Mar-17 16:49:26

I was shock when I was working in France when women came back to the office from maternity leave. They would ask straight out - "How's the bébé? And how many kilos have you got left to lose?" It was such a normal question one colleague was talking about his daughter giving birth to a granddaughter he just said cryptically "Oh she's fine. Only 3 to go." I had to say "3 what? " "Kilos to lose!" <rolled his eyes>
I would only have lunch with your mum if food-police unfiltered friend not invited OP grin

Pallisers Tue 14-Mar-17 16:50:29

I'd be a bitch too if I had never had a roast potato. She is more to be pitied than censured.

DownTownAbbey Tue 14-Mar-17 16:51:09

Say that you're worried about ending up a bag of haggard old bones with a scrawny turkey neck and being jealous of every younger, curvaceous woman I see.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 14-Mar-17 16:52:39

YANBU. She's bloody rude but I guess no one's ever picked her up on it before.
Suggest you tell your mum to leave her friend out of your meetings next time, or you'll say something that everyone will regret.

Emmageddon Tue 14-Mar-17 16:53:46

"tu me gonfles"

Don't put up with it, rude woman.

somewheresomehow Tue 14-Mar-17 16:54:55

ferme la bouche s'il vous plait
shut your mouth please grin

BiscuitMillionaire Tue 14-Mar-17 16:55:01

star star star for 'galloping baggage'

mumonashoestring Tue 14-Mar-17 16:55:06

Give her the most syrupy, blatantly over the top sympathetic face you can conjure up and tell her it must be just awful to spend so much time obsessing about food. Then change the subject.

AlpacaPicnic Tue 14-Mar-17 16:59:47

Look her dead in the eye and say 'I was thin because I was ill. I'd rather be heavier and well.'

And well done on your success. It must have been a scary move but you did it! flowers

Alice212 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:59:54

Awful woman
Please scream at her "I was on drugs, you galloping baggage"

Btw congrats on your achievements.

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 14-Mar-17 17:03:07

Ugh, I thought your thread title was rude and probably sexist... but turns out I'm going to hold the padlock for you as you get ready to put it on her lips!

You have done an amazing thing. Ignore lip flappy food phobic woman!

Anyone who believes it's appropriate to say (or think) this kind of thing has massooove problems with food and body image.

Put her weirdy problems back where they belong. Firmly onto her. I've had someone project her own stuff into me before, and it really got to me, I found it really undermining and destabilizing. And one day when she was doing it again I broke and said (rather loudly) 'do NOT push your emotions onto me. I have nothing to do with what you're saying or feeling right now. Take responsibility and deal with it yourself. Leave me alone and don't come back until you've got yourself under control again'

I found it somewhat liberating and she was shocked into silence! I think she's been used to splatting all her crap over everyone else and making everyone else the problem and herself the sainted perfect 'right' one... and everyone either tolerated her or ran away.

It wasn't about food and the way others look, but applicable nonetheless.

Push her crap back onto her and most importantly... away from you. You have too much to deal with right now to cope with this woman. Can you stop seeing her for a while (a long while!)? Or get your mother to shut her up around you?

clippityclop Tue 14-Mar-17 17:03:11

Congratulations. Don't give the old bat another thought. At least your mum has had the grace not to tell her about your previous problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now