Talk

Advanced search

to find my mum hypocritical?

(5 Posts)
PregnantAndEngaged Tue 14-Mar-17 15:50:20

I told my mum the other day that I was going to give her money in a card for her birthday so she can get what she wants. Two reasons for this, I don't get paid until 20th and her birthday is 24th so I don't have time to go a choose anything really but also I always end up getting her the same thing (gym kit) as that's all she ever wants, so figure she might as well choose her own.

But anyway got a call today from her asking me what I'm going to get her for her birthday and that she'd rather I bought her something rather than just giving her money as she thinks it's more special. When I asked her what she wanted, she said gym kit again. Yet for my birthday she just paid on her credit card for a bag I chose and I even placed the order myself with her credit card details, and this was 3 weeks after my birthday as she wanted to do it when she came to visit (which wasn't planned until 3 weeks after my birthday) and she didn't even buy me a card for my actual birthday!

Whilst I am sure I am being a little bit lazy here, AIBU to feel a bit irritated and find this hypocritical?

QueenofallIsee Tue 14-Mar-17 15:56:08

I think that IS pretty rubbish of her. Not sure why you told her what you were going to do though, that did sort of invite negotiation (or it would with my Mum). Just say you will get what you are given and do what suits!

PregnantAndEngaged Tue 14-Mar-17 16:01:02

Yeah, I even got a card in the post from my partners grandparents and his aunt & uncle who I've only ever met a handful of times, and my auntie who lives in the same house as my mum, but my mum didn't send me a birthday card.

I do regret mentioning it to her and not sure why I did, maybe she suggested a present idea or something and I didn't want her expectations to be too high.

Anyway.. just got a text from her telling me what size she is :|

PregnantAndEngaged Tue 14-Mar-17 16:02:29

Oh and also, she forgot my birthday the previous year!

LoriD Tue 14-Mar-17 18:00:58

Perhaps you suggest a shopping trip in which she can pick her own outfit to wear or buy her a gift card for the shop you'd normally get the kit in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now