Talk

Advanced search

Attendance prize or punishment

(6 Posts)
GoadyTwoShoes Tue 14-Mar-17 10:24:28

My DC's primary school have recently announced that at the end of this school year all children who have achieved 97% attendance will be given a fun activity day as a prize.
The school already has excellent attendance so I'm not sure why this incentive is necessary. The majority of kids will get to enjoy the fun day but a small number of kids, who for whatever reason are below this level, will be left out.
Is it me or is this really mean, and probably counterproductive?
What do you think, are they being unreasonable?

CruCru Tue 14-Mar-17 10:26:26

It is a bit weird. Sounds like a good way to encourage parents to write a load of stroppy letters to the school.

BeaderBird Tue 14-Mar-17 10:30:00

Schools are under the kosh and doing anything they can to raise attendance - this will be one of many other incentives because they are questioned and pushed about it at every turn.

What would you suggest they do?

Why shouldn't there be a prize for good attendance and recognition of poor attendance? We can't all win a prize and some of us should do better.

Skatingonthinice16 Tue 14-Mar-17 10:33:17

Because if you are already suffering with a long term condition then it's a bit harsh to be penalised for it. It's already shit. Why make it feel even worse. It's not like rewarding academic or spotty children. It's rewarding healthy children. In my opinion being healthy is enough of a bonus.

neverknowinglyunreasonable Wed 15-Mar-17 20:19:50

This encourages ill children to come to school and spread their germs.

Crumbs1 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:45:40

If parents dislike the idea of schools promoting attendance they should write to Amanda Spielman at Ofsted as it is they who judge schools based on attendance. A head can lose their job over a poor Ofsted report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now