Talk

Advanced search

Leaving baby asleep with...

(119 Posts)
0hCrepe Tue 14-Mar-17 08:51:57

There have been a few situations where I've had to wake the baby to pop out for something and it has felt like it would be so easy to leave her. For example I pick ds up from school occasionally after a club, could I leave her with dd (10 and very sensible). I'd be back 10 minutes later.
Can I leave her asleep while builders are working in a different room while I pop and buy milk to make them a brew?
I've never done it but WIBU to?

limon Tue 14-Mar-17 08:54:23

I definitely wouldn't do this, no.

NavyandWhite Tue 14-Mar-17 08:54:36

How old is baby? What if she woke up screaming while you out? What would your 10 year old do?

I definitely wouldn't leave the baby while I nipped out for milk with the builders. They are there to do their job not listen out for your baby.

Just make sure you have plenty of milk in.

ClarkWGriswold Tue 14-Mar-17 08:56:44

I definitely would not do this. Please don't either

LilacSpatula Tue 14-Mar-17 08:56:50

No way. Sorry but my daughter is more important than if we have milk in the fridge.

Annesmyth123 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:01:15

Depends on the 10 year old. DS was very steady and mature and I could have left him in charge no bother. DD not a chance. She is a panicker.

mumeeee Tue 14-Mar-17 09:02:43

No I wouldn't do this.

Babymamamama Tue 14-Mar-17 09:14:37

No no no I wouldn't do that.

MommaGee Tue 14-Mar-17 09:18:26

Re builders, if they knew they should actually refuse to be there for safeguarding reasons

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Tue 14-Mar-17 09:19:26

It's a joke, right?

Sixisthemagicnumber Tue 14-Mar-17 09:19:49

No, I wouldn't do this. If the builders want a cuppa and you have no milk then ask one of them to get some milk or they will have to go without. Or you could always keep an emergency carton of long life milk in the cupboard.
A 10 year old is not a suitable babysitter even for 10-15 minutes either.

SmokyMountains Tue 14-Mar-17 09:20:55

I wouldn't do this.

I get when you are bone, bone tired and the thought of deliberately having to wake the baby up to go out is about as appealing as pulling your own teeth out, but I think unless you call in a favour for pickup and stay in, you need to take the baby. Ten just isn't old enough.

Get the builder to nip for milk for you if you need it to make them a cuppa!

SmokyMountains Tue 14-Mar-17 09:21:48

x post with Six. Similar views smile

BestZebbie Tue 14-Mar-17 09:24:09

No, a builder won't want to take on responsibility for your baby as they won't be insured/crb checked etc for that, and it isn't their job. It isn't fair to expect them to put themselves at risk in a fire etc trying to save your baby, either - that isn't part of their job.

Trifleorbust Tue 14-Mar-17 09:25:10

Of course you can't.

Jazzywazzydodah Tue 14-Mar-17 09:25:12

shock hmm

No.

NuffSaidSam Tue 14-Mar-17 09:29:28

Definitely not with the builders.

Possibly, with the ten year old if they are very sensible, trained up and happy to be left in charge and you have good neighbours. And only then for a few minutes, I wouldn't risk it for 10 minutes to an after-school club because you can so easily be delayed.

EyeStye Tue 14-Mar-17 09:32:39

I think that I would probably be tempted to do this with my almost 10 yr old. She's very sensible. She would make sure no harm came to the baby and give her a cuddle if she woke up crying. The risk of something going wrong is tiny. However I probably wouldn't actually do it it just doesn't seem to pass the acceptable test!

Afreshstartplease Tue 14-Mar-17 09:35:10

God no

fatmummy87 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:35:57

I take it you're joking?

Olympiathequeen Tue 14-Mar-17 09:36:14

I wouldn't risk this.

SuperBeagle Tue 14-Mar-17 09:37:09

I'd do it with the 10 year old for 10 minutes, definitely.

But not with the builders, for a myriad of reasons.

0hCrepe Tue 14-Mar-17 09:38:49

No ive never done it. It's just one of those thoughts when she's just dropped off that I have to disrupt her to fetch ds and dd says please leave her with me! Also it's not because I'm tired it's because she is, she's actually a great sleeper and very happy baby. If she woke up crying dd would comfort her and ring me if necessary. I won't do it though don't worry.
I was talking to about it with a friend who said she has started to leave her 3 yo with her 12 yo ds and I was thinking they have more potential to harm themselves messing about with things.
Anyway I've just been for milk with her in the sling and she's still in it and now just dropping off which is delicious.

brasty Tue 14-Mar-17 09:39:07

When I was young, 10 year olds would commonly babysit. I looked after babies on my own at this age. But depends on the 10 year old.
With builders I would ask one of them to pop out.

SolomanDaisy Tue 14-Mar-17 09:39:36

It depends how well you know the builders. I've left my DS with our odd job man for ten minutes before and I'd do it with the baby if I knew she'd sleep. But we know him. If you know the builders and they're ok with it, I would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now