Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why England wants to keep Scotland?

(1000 Posts)
user1481215005 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:21:37

Or am I being really thick? NS has been causing no end of grief the past few years always complaining about how bad Scotland has it (despite receiving more money for Scotland than Scotland gives back) also promising English votes for English laws and then changing that when something she didn't like can up. Her financial plan depends on the North Sea oil. If Scotland keeps rights to that it'll last fifty years tops before oil runs out. She just seems to be a constant pain and wants special treatment which wales and NI don't ever seem to get. I do love Scotland but right now I'm inclined to cheerily wave them off and wish the good luck.

sonyaya Mon 13-Mar-17 16:23:26

Lots of people in Scotland want to stay, and lots of Scottish people in England want Scotland to stay. I'd feel very sorry for them.

I think it would be a shame to lose the Union, personally.

user1481215005 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:23:26

Should probably read Why do England, wales and NI want to keep Scotland

NoWinNoFfi Mon 13-Mar-17 16:31:35

I want them to stay for selfish reasons; hard to see anything other than Tory governments for the foreseeable future if Scotland becomes independent.

But if i lived in a country that always votes to the left and voted heavily to remain in the EU, I wouldn't fancy being part of Theresa May's Brexit Britain.

Yabbadabbo2 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:10:50

Perhaps she loves the eu and is showing this by asking the same question until she gets the answer she wants democratic answer.

WhiskyIrnBru Mon 13-Mar-17 17:18:58

You're being really thick biscuit and you're believing the MSM spin. Plenty of information out there to prove Scotland are net contributors to the UK. Nicola Sturgeon is criticised because she has a passionate view point on what is better for her country. Scotland is fed up with voting and ending up with the opposite of what we voted for. Look up the McCrone report. The history behind it etc. The UK government is totally spooked by this. I hope we do this.

WhiskyIrnBru Mon 13-Mar-17 17:20:05

Also if we were that much of a liability and a drain on resources why are the UK government so desperate to keep us? hmm

Keepithidden Mon 13-Mar-17 17:20:58

North sea oil and gas? Renewable energy potential? Or am I being cynical!

Osolea Mon 13-Mar-17 17:22:01

I want them to stay because it's just makes for a nicer planet to live on if there's more unity and less division. Same reason I don't want brexit.

ButtercupChain Mon 13-Mar-17 17:22:21

No idea. I wanted them to stay the first time round, but now I don't care.

All Sturgeon cares about is Scotland; don't ever believe she cares about 'the union' of the United Kingdom. Because she doesn't.

GeillisTheWitch Mon 13-Mar-17 17:22:53

Also if we were that much of a liability and a drain on resources why are the UK government so desperate to keep us

This. The government won't subsidise a spare bedroom in a council house, why would they want us to stay in the union if we're a financial liability?

MrsPeterDoherty Mon 13-Mar-17 17:23:36

Because we'd all lose even more if the Union breaks up. We're already set to lose so much with Brexit.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Mon 13-Mar-17 17:26:57

"The great master of propaganda once said its a case of repeat a lie often enough people will believe it."

Scotland is not subsidised by England. This is a fact. The Institute of Fiscal Studies, along with many other reliable sources, will confirm this without too much trouble.

John4703 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:27:00

Also if we were that much of a liability and a drain on resources why are the UK government so desperate to keep us?
I totally agree, if we in Scotland are such a pain then why not get rid of us.

I want them to stay for selfish reasons; hard to see anything other than Tory governments for the foreseeable future if Scotland becomes independent.
I thought that too in the last referendum and I am still not sure why the Tories did not support the Yes vote, get rid of us Scots and be assured of a long period in power. We must have something here worth having.

Puzzledandpissedoff Mon 13-Mar-17 17:27:41

The oil and gas is no good reason for keeping Scotland in the union since it doesn't belong exclusively to them ... it belongs to the UK, of which they're a part

If Scotland had voted to leave (or if they do so in future) their share of this would need to be negotiated, with an outcome they may or may not have liked

AuntieStella Mon 13-Mar-17 17:29:04

I'm not remotely sure that people in those countries actually do want to 'keep' Scotland.

I'd be quite happy if their right to self-determination meant they left.

Toadinthehole Mon 13-Mar-17 17:29:26

All manner of reasons. Long association. Cultural similarity (to say the least). Cross-border family association far more profound than with any other EU state. Defence. And finally economic disruption. If Brexit will disrupt the UK economy just think that independence will do to Scotland's. The irony shouldn't be lost on anyone.

lavenderandrose Mon 13-Mar-17 17:29:45

I feel it would be best if Scotland left the rest of the U.K., and I think it will happen.

aprilanne Mon 13-Mar-17 17:32:27

not every scottish person votes snp .i have never our schools are a shambles our nhs the same but she who must be obeyed still gives out free prescriptions free elderly care when some can sure afford more that the £95 a month our council charges everyone so its not complety free but cheap .my inlaws stock pile free medicine .but i am proud also to be british i wish theresa may would just tell NS to get lost really

VikingVolva Mon 13-Mar-17 17:32:43

UK as a whole paid for the oil/gas rigs, which is why UK as a whole received the revenues.

So should perhaps continue to take the revenue unless/until the Scots buy them out. Which they can't really attempt unless they do opt for independence. Though if course there is oodles of international precedent that geographic propinquity does not necessarily confer ownership of territory.

LurkingHusband Mon 13-Mar-17 17:34:07

All May Sturgeon cares about is England Scotland ^; don't ever believe she cares about 'the union' of the United Kingdom. Because she doesn't.

Touché

ThinEndOfASlipperySlope Mon 13-Mar-17 17:34:27

The referendum only goes one way OP. You don't actually know that England, Wales and NI want Scotland to stay.

More importantly, why isn't the Scottish Leave Campaign called Sexit?

StripeyDress Mon 13-Mar-17 17:34:47

Last vestige of fading colonial grandeur?

Bit Miss Haversham I think.

Itsmeitscathy Mon 13-Mar-17 17:37:28

biscuit

Because this hasn't been done to death already.

lavenderandrose Mon 13-Mar-17 17:37:58

It was in the news today.

It's a perfectly valid topic.

This thread is not accepting new messages.