Advanced search

WIBU for DH to claim PIP?

(54 Posts)
shouldwePIP Mon 13-Mar-17 15:39:54

NC for this.

DH has severe mental illness, when he is well he can work full time but struggles to sustain this long term. When he is poorly he barely functions at all and certainly can't work. Currently he is working part time which is sustainable health wise but tight financially. Prior to becominģ unwell the first time he was self employed and so was not entitled to ESA when he became unwell due to my earnings being above threshold. Despite me having a good wage the sudden drop in income meant than we ran up debt. We had almost paid that off when he became unwell again last year and not realising that this time he was entitled to ESA missed out on claiming that and again ended up in debt.

DHs CPN suggested he may be eligable for PIP and when we looked into it he seems to score in for the higher rate based on the criteria. If he got this it would allow him to continue working part time comfortably, but we are aware thats not really what its meant for. Its intended to be used to help him with his independance, but the things he needs help with are things like prompting him to eat, wash, take tablets and montioring his condition, all of which are easy enough for me to do for him and cost nothing. I suppose though if it allowed him to stay in work and not get too ill to work again that in its way would be helping him to stay independant.

I think my views are coloured as I work with serverly physically and mentally disabled people and DH is so much more able than any of them. We also worry what people would think if they knew he was claiming. I earn a desent wage, he works part time nmw, we both drive, have 2 (ancient) cars and rent a nice house in an okish area. If it wasn't for the debts from when DH was ill we would be comfortably off, and I think we both feel that there are others who are more deserving/in need than us.

BewtySkoolDropowt Mon 13-Mar-17 15:53:58

You both work and contribute to the system, so when you are entitled to get something back from the system, you should. Bear in mind that PIP isn't easy to get, even when it appears that you meet the criteria, so you might not even get it.

But you are exactly the kind of people I am happy for my tax to be spent on. You are not taking the mickey, you are working and this will enable your husband to keep working. It is much better to be in sustainable employment part time than full time employment interspersed with periods of not working, imo.

Out2pasture Mon 13-Mar-17 16:01:01

How would he feel about this? Could not being in employment, with its emotional, and social benefits be an added factor to his depression? If he chooses to return to work after a trial period would having been on PIP be a hinderence? And lastly what age is your dh?

LakieLady Mon 13-Mar-17 16:01:26

He absolutely should claim PIP. Poor MH is every bit as disabling as a physical condition. Order the forms today, and if he's successful the money will be backdated to today!

Please get help with filling in the forms though. If you can't get an appt with CAB or similar, there is good online help available and it's worth familiarising yourself with the "descriptors", ie the criteria applied by the decision-maker, which bear little resemblance to the questions on the form.

Don't just tick the boxes for the things he can't do, make sure you write a bit about how his MH affects his ability to carry out each activity. If he can do things some of the time but not others, quantify the amount of time (ie days pw or weeks per month) he is unable to do them. To score "points" for not being able to carry out an activity, he must be unable to do it for at least 50% of the time.

To be able to carry out an activity, you need to be able to do it repeatedly, reliably, safely and in a reasonable timescale. Any activity that he can't do to those standards counts, but again, you need to spell it out.

Ideally, send in independent medical evidence.

LakieLady Mon 13-Mar-17 16:02:38

Out2, he doesn't have to tell them he's on PIP if he goes for a job. It's none of their business!

BabychamSocialist Mon 13-Mar-17 16:03:26

I don't see why you shouldn't claim it. Financially we don't need to claim it for DS2 but we do as he qualifies and it acts as a passport benefit, which means he can get more specialist help about his condition. Your DH sounds like he more than qualifies and I think PIP would be a big boost for you both. If his condition is so debilitating at times then he should definitely get the Enhanced rate of it.

BabychamSocialist Mon 13-Mar-17 16:04:37

Oh and PIP is like DLA, you're allowed to work and claim it and you don't need to tell your employer. As it's meant to help with the extra costs of disability, you can spend it on whatever you want.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 13-Mar-17 16:06:14

If he is entitled to it claim it, and stop hand wringing. Stop worrying what other people will think; its nobody else's business so dont discuss it with them.
I hope you dont advise other people not to claim it, its not a competition to see whose worse off.

shouldwePIP Mon 13-Mar-17 16:07:38

out2pasture DH is 30, he definately finds working beneficaial to his MH but stress can easily tip him into being unwell. You can claim PIP and work at the same time, it would just make it financially easier for him to stay part time, but theres no limit to the hours you are allowed to work on PIP as it is not a work or income related benefit.

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 13-Mar-17 16:08:02


Pip is not an out of work benefit

shouldwePIP Mon 13-Mar-17 16:09:57

lakielady thats very helpful thank you.

DJ no I wouldn't advise anyone either way its not in my role.

emsler Mon 13-Mar-17 16:21:50

Believe me, he won't get PIP if he isn't entitled to it - the amount of hoop-jumping is crazy - so don't worry a jot about that.

As a tax-payer I would be very happy to support your DH - sounds like you both work very hard to manage his MH condition and having the ability to stay part time will, in the long run, mean your DH is contributing via taxes and NI, as well as making it less likely he'll need support from the NHS. So it's a win-win all round.

Hope it goes well - and definitely get some advise when completing the forms!

lalalalyra Mon 13-Mar-17 16:32:08

If claiming PIP would help your husband access a job that helps him better stay well - be that a part-time one or a change of role or whatever - then that is helping him stay independant.

PIP is to help with the higher cost of living when you are disabled or ill, if you are only well enough to work part-time then that is one of the higher costs associated with being disabled or ill.

Leggit Mon 13-Mar-17 16:39:48

Tbh I doubt he will be successful. Although you CAN work and claim PIP that generally doesn't apply to the MH side of things. If he is able to work they will assess him and having capacity so he won't qualify. The fact that he MAY get worse doesn't count. I know it's not what you want to here but applying under MH and working doesn't really 'match' iykwim

Leggit Mon 13-Mar-17 16:40:10

* hear

DevonshireCreamTea Mon 13-Mar-17 16:40:29

I claim PIP for MH reasons. It is a life saver for me as like your husband i just cant work full time. However not working doesn't help me either. Part time gives me a great balance and thankfully my PIP tops up my bills. Aslong as he is entitled there is no harm in applying. Letters from doctors, therapists and consultants help, as well as inpatient notes if he has ever been in hospital for his MH. Medication lists etc are also good evidence. Good luck to you both.

Birdsgottaf1y Mon 13-Mar-17 16:47:18

OP, I would suggest that he uses the CAB, or a local Welfare/Disabled Rights Centre to claim.

I've had to take my claim to tribunal and it's taken a year. There's been delays in me obtaining medical evidence etc. It's stressful when you get turned down, so having an advisor to call, is helpful.

Babyroobs Mon 13-Mar-17 16:49:51

No reason why he can't try to claim although as pp have said it can be difficult. Sometimes there seems to be no logic as to who gets it and who doesn't. I have a friend who has very regular seizures and cannot work she has just lost her PIP ( I understand PIP is not an earnings replacement benefit) which really helped them financially. Her marriage is now under strain and she is not entitled to any ESA as she hasn't worked for a number of years.

user1476185294 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:13:15

I'm on PIP, and there are certainly many less able people out there which is why they have different rates.

If it means he can work part time then claim away. I put of my claim for ages and only recently found out about ESA. I don't like that I NEED to claim it but I do, otherwise I would have to work and make myself even more ill.

LovelyBath77 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:23:38

In terms of income it is not means tested and with a severe MH diagnosis and psychiatrist care involvement / care worker he would probably qualify. It is a passport benefit to other things such as premiums in tax credits. i think it is a good idea to apply.

Groovee Mon 13-Mar-17 17:25:22

I claim pip and work. Having pip means I don't have to struggle to work full time. If I'm off sick for an extended period of time due to my condition, then we have a fall back.

Definitely worth trying and getting someone like fightback for justice to do your forms for you.

LovelyBath77 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:25:40

Good idea to get help to fill it in, might be quicker and easier. I had a home visit and it all took around a month from that, but until then it was a few months. If they have the ESA stuff too maybe copy that for them as they don't share info sometimes. If he has a care plan or support worker they could help with it perhaps.

LovelyBath77 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:27:31

The driving may be a problem- they think this means you are Ok in lots of ways. If he doesn't drive certain times due to meds or whatever make sure you mention it.

Out2pasture Mon 13-Mar-17 17:31:24

There certainly doesn't seem to be s issue with applying.

LakieLady Mon 13-Mar-17 17:47:48

Tbh I doubt he will be successful. Although you CAN work and claim PIP that generally doesn't apply to the MH side of things. If he is able to work they will assess him and having capacity so he won't qualify.

I've helped many people in work succeed in getting PIP for poor mental health. It's nothing to do with capacity, it's to do with needing supervision, prompting and motivating to carry out certain specified activities.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: