Talk

Advanced search

To ask which organizations have been most helpful and supportive if you have a child with special needs ?

(3 Posts)
hellokittymania Mon 13-Mar-17 12:59:54

My organization just finished hosting a training weekend for special education teachers and today we had a parents and children say . We had an open forum for the parents and when we asked if anybody had any questions concerns etc. every single parent started asking away . This event was not held in the UK but it was even an eye-opener for the organizations that work with families here . It makes me very glad that we held the event today as we can see what we need to do next .

In the UK which organizations have been the most supportive to you and your family's and can you tell me in what way they were most helpful ? If there is a parents group in your area how often do you meet ? If there were more groups in your area that did a day for parents and children would you easily be able to attend ?

We did a half-day event today and had games arts and crafts snacktime and the open forum and it went extremely well . I was told that there is an annual event for visual impairment and autism but I don't think an annual event is enough. In fact had I known that this would go so well and parents really want information and interaction with each other I would have held all Day event . At the end every single child was given some gifts as well . Are there things that you as parents would like to receive such an event ? Whether it be a voucher or some material on how to help your child ?

BackforGood Mon 13-Mar-17 23:17:27

You'll be much more likely to catch the parents you want to speak to, if you post in one of the Special Needs sections rather than AIBU.

UnderTheF1oorboards Mon 13-Mar-17 23:41:38

Too vague. Special needs are hugely varied, what specifically are you talking about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now