We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think wife is being a little bit silly?

(222 Posts)
AmericanCreamie Mon 13-Mar-17 11:53:37

I am Irish and DW is English. Our son is 2 days old. She said we can go for a name that's Irish but works well in English too. The one we liked most was Dillon, she then goes "great, but I want it as Dylan"??? That then completely takes away the fact of it being Irish. confused she isn't getting it. This baby will never be named!!

TeenAndTween Mon 13-Mar-17 11:55:50

Patrick.

witchofzog Mon 13-Mar-17 11:56:57

Is Caeleb Irish? That's a lovely name smile

JonesyAndTheSalad Mon 13-Mar-17 11:57:22

I like Dillon better but if she hates the Irish spelling then it's a no go isn't it?

She's not being "silly" if she doesn't like the spelling though.

I also like Patrick. And Sean. Are they no good to her? Good old Michael is nice too.

MaidOfStars Mon 13-Mar-17 11:58:45

Dylan is Welsh grin

AmericanCreamie Mon 13-Mar-17 11:58:47

No not silly for not liking the spelling! Silly to say we can pick an Irish name that's good in English and we pick it together and then say "oh but it can't be spelt the Irish way" grin it actually made me laugh!

BreatheDeep Mon 13-Mar-17 11:58:55

hmm

HebeBadb Mon 13-Mar-17 11:59:05

Dillon is just a run of the mill sur name, I know so many people with that sur name. Why wouldn't you prefer Dylan! I'm Irish and I love Irish names but I don't love making a point for the sake of it.

I love Diarmuid. It's a good one cos it sounds so cool in Irish but no fool would ever translate it to Dermot!!!! So I offer up the suggestion Diarmuid for you. my English xh rejected it

Thefitfatty Mon 13-Mar-17 12:00:06

grin I prefer Dillon. And that's all I'll say on the matter. But the best Irish name is Erin. grin

thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 13-Mar-17 12:00:24

Is Dylan not Irish? The only Dylan I can think of is Dylan Moran.

HebeBadb Mon 13-Mar-17 12:00:29

Sorry, didn't mean to offend there.

But she gave birth two days ago. What is wrong with a Welsh spelling of a name that you both like?

Is the baby getting your sur name?

I think you should let her choose the spelling.

{gavel}

HebeBadb Mon 13-Mar-17 12:01:18

Dylan Thomas!

Under Milk Wood or summit. Very very Welsh.

SmallBee Mon 13-Mar-17 12:02:03

YANBU, Dylan is Welsh! Sounds like you need to keep looking for another name.

thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 13-Mar-17 12:04:07

Ignore me, a Google would have prevented me commenting. Dylan Moran is great though (beside the point)

AmericanCreamie Mon 13-Mar-17 12:04:42

@HebeBadb - well, the point was is that we get a name that's both good in Irish and English confused no, we are double-barrelling, why?

HebeBadb Mon 13-Mar-17 12:05:07

What about Lorcan? No spelling issues.

My x thought it sounded like Vulcan though.

Sandsnake Mon 13-Mar-17 12:06:40

She was ridiculous. And you have the patience of a saint to still offer to buy it for her after 45 minutes and that rudeness.

Sandsnake Mon 13-Mar-17 12:07:11

Sorry somehow managed to post on completely the wrong thread!

Annesmyth123 Mon 13-Mar-17 12:07:39

A little bit silly sounds infantilising towards your wife.

Twotothreeagain Mon 13-Mar-17 12:08:05

If you spell it Dillon, he will spend his whole life correcting people who spell it Dylan. I have never met a Dillon as a first name, only as a surname. What about Cian?

HebeBadb Mon 13-Mar-17 12:09:50

@AmericanCreamie, well if the baby will have both sur names, go hiontach, but you have done extremely well to find a name that you both like and to disagree only about the spelling!

I think you should defer to the human being who pushed a baby out less than 48 hours ago and that is my honest opinion

VacantExpression Mon 13-Mar-17 12:10:49

I thought Dylan was Welsh possibly misses point

Do you live in UK- I imagine your son will spend his life correcting people if you go for Dillan. Once heard Colleen Nolan say how she had regretted using the Irish spelling of Ciara for her dd and I still made similar mistake myself with my dd and regret it every day

AmericanCreamie Mon 13-Mar-17 12:12:05

@HebeBadb the point is, the spelling completely changes the origin. Yes, she pushed out our son and that's exactly why she got picks on the middle name.

Genuine question, will she always get final say with everything, because she pushed him out?

FrenchLavender Mon 13-Mar-17 12:12:13

It's true - if you live in England then everyone will end up spelling it Dylan which will be annoying for him. They sound exactly the same so why does it matter so much to you? Most people will be saying it, not writing it.

AmericanCreamie Mon 13-Mar-17 12:12:34

@VacantExpression Dylan is Welsh, yes. Dillon is Irish! That's the point! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now