Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to leave 7 yo at home while I go to the shop?

(20 Posts)
freozm Mon 13-Mar-17 09:50:44

He's off school unwell and is asleep on the sofa.

I want to buy some Calpol. WIBU?

Afreshstartplease Mon 13-Mar-17 09:51:54

How long would you be? Does he know what to do in an emergency? Is he old 7 or young?

Definitely don't go without telling him

Sirzy Mon 13-Mar-17 09:52:50

I wouldn't.

Can you ask a friend or family member to grab some?

Shadowboy Mon 13-Mar-17 09:53:18

Where is the shop in relation to the house? How long would it take? If it requires driving I would say it is unreasonable. If it were me and I had to drive I'd scoop him up and put on back seat. If it's walking distance how long would it take?

freozm Mon 13-Mar-17 09:53:53

It's only a 2 min walk or could drive there in 10 seconds. Friends and family are at work but have messaged too see if my mum will grab any during her break.

Afreshstartplease Mon 13-Mar-17 09:54:47

Two min walk I would but I would make sure he knew

JennyOnAPlate Mon 13-Mar-17 09:58:39

Don't leave without telling him you're going, but as long as he knows I think it's fine.

Shadowboy Mon 13-Mar-17 10:03:59

A 2 min walk is nothing really. If you tell him and quickly nip to shop for calpol I'd have thought that's ok.

See I live 15min away by car from nearest shop so I'd have to drive with kids in car 😥 (Hence why we are moving back to the city from the country)

Afreshstartplease Mon 13-Mar-17 10:05:27

I would do it with my 7 or 9 year old , our shop also two min away

However I wouldn't leave them both together

kineticmagnetic Mon 13-Mar-17 10:05:42

I would go if it's just a 2 min walk, can you call the house phone and leave it near him so if he wakes you can reassure him?

Mrscog Mon 13-Mar-17 10:06:29

Yes - 2 minute walk definitely. Tell him you're going - does he have your phone number?

ETanny Mon 13-Mar-17 10:13:51

If I was that close, I'd make sure he knew where I was going and I'd also lock the door.

AwaywiththePixies27 Mon 13-Mar-17 10:17:13

It's up to you OP. My nearest shop is 30minutes away so no chance.

If it's only literally two minutes away, you be the Judge.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 13-Mar-17 10:32:05

I would but I'd want to make sure he knew I was going and how long I'd be gone

7 is still quite little to wake up alone not knowing where parent has gone

Natsku Mon 13-Mar-17 10:40:25

Tell him first in case he wakes up and panics but yeah, just a two minute walk? Perfectly fine and much better than dragging a poor ill lad out.

BastardGoDarkly Mon 13-Mar-17 10:42:33

I'd wake him and tell him, and also leave a note in case he falls back to sleep and wakes up, forgetting.

I'd definitely do it.

FloatyFlo Mon 13-Mar-17 10:46:03

I just had the same issue. Ds is off sick. Shop is under a min walk away. Needed to get milk and electric and cigarettes My ds is 6 and half and would probably be absolutely fine. I decided against it though. Juts in case something happened to me while out (extremely unlikely I know). He chucked his boots on and put his coat over his pj's and I bought him a comic for big so good about it. We were gone and home again in five mins.

FloatyFlo Mon 13-Mar-17 10:46:50

However I wouldn't judge you for doing it at all!

isupposeitsverynice Mon 13-Mar-17 10:48:57

I probably would in those circumstances.

NuffSaidSam Mon 13-Mar-17 10:52:16

I would, but not while he was asleep in case he woke up and didn't know where I was. I'd wait until he wakes up and is watching TV or something and then go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now