Talk

Advanced search

Lending money

(14 Posts)
Chocolatefiend99 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:57:46

I am selling my car due to moving abroad for 2 years. I would have sold my car privately for 3k, I offered it to my DP for 2k. They asked if they could pay me monthly. My response was I'm not sure as things can change. He took this to mean I don't trust him as I didn't think he would pay me back.

I am naturally not a risk taker and consider all scenarios. I do trust them but circumstances can change. I wanted to make sure I went into it with my eyes wide open.

Am I being unreasonable? Would you be offended in the same circumstance? I am prepared to hear I am if that's what the responses are. Thanks

PurpleDaisies Sun 12-Mar-17 19:59:33

Is DP your partner or parents?

ButtercupChain Sun 12-Mar-17 19:59:46

By DP do you mean your partner?

I think you should trust your partner?

Are they not going with you (abroad) ???

troodiedoo Sun 12-Mar-17 20:00:15

I wouldn't ask to pay monthly, that's cheeky to me. They can get a loan and pay that monthly if necessary.

highinthesky Sun 12-Mar-17 20:00:36

Never lend on trust money that you can't afford to lose.

YANBU.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:01:22

Sorry he is my partner. No he can't come with me as we aren't married.

Wando1986 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:01:38

I'd never consider it unless it was in a single payment. You're opening a can of worms and in all likelyhood you will not be together for much longer if you're in another country.

I'd say No, you need the cash upfront for living expenses there. Sorry.

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Sun 12-Mar-17 20:05:11

So you are giving him a discount of 33% off market value and he wants 0% interest credit?

shock

YANBU

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:06:50

I can afford to lose the money if it wasn't paid back. I would only worry if his circumstances changed as i know i wouldnt be a priority to pay. His bills and rent would come first then his kids. And rightly so.

I had hoped we could try and make it work seeing each other using holidays. We barely see each other today due to shifts.

MrsTarzan1 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:08:23

I'm more surprised you're charging your partner to buy your car? Do you not share money/items or is this a new relationship?

HecateAntaia Sun 12-Mar-17 20:09:23

i wouldnt.

tbh 2 yrs apart i wouldnt guarantee we'd even stay a couple.

you're however many miles away for 2 years. if he decides not to pay, what can you do?

you could retain ownership of course. draw up an agreement and only when he is paid in full do you transfer ownership.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:10:26

Its not a new relationship but we don't share finances nor do we live together. If i wasn't going away this would have been the next step.

Chocolatefiend99 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:11:50

He did suggest I keep the car in my name until it's paid off but only after he said he was upset I didn't trust him. I would have considered this.

oleoleoleole Sun 12-Mar-17 20:13:35

Once you've gone he might stop paying, I wouldn't take the risk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now