Talk

Advanced search

To make the boys share a cabin

(197 Posts)
MrsWatt Sun 12-Mar-17 18:48:50

We have booked our holiday and have decided to go on a cruise around the med. I have booked two staterooms for our family of six and it is causing a lot of problems among my kids.

In the first cabin.
We have me and dh + DS(aged 4) and DS (aged 15). We booked a large room with a balcony since we all need the space,

The second cabin is going to be my stepson and my son both aged 17. I booked an interior since balconies were sold out and ocean view was only available on the lower decks and what I've read is that it can be very noisy. So me and dh upgraded the room to a luxury cabin. It isn't the biggest room but fine for two people to have enough space. The problem we have is that when i upgraded the room two singles became a double (i thought it would be a choice it wasn't).

My son doesn't want to share with Dss and instead wants to sleep on the sofa in our room. Aibu to think he is being a massive brat or should i let him. We have spent a lot on this holiday and changing arrangements at this point isn't an option ainu

Booksandmags79 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:50:12

Do they just share the room or share a bed too?

Lurlene Sun 12-Mar-17 18:50:33

Would he share with his 15 year old brother?

19lottie82 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:50:40

Tell him he's being a brat and if he isn't happy he's welcome to either pay for his own cabin, or stay at home.

MrsWatt Sun 12-Mar-17 18:50:53

They share both bed and room at price of a better room.

EveOnline2016 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:51:12

Why not have the 15 year old share with the 17 year old.

wildpoppiesanddaisies Sun 12-Mar-17 18:51:56

He is not being a brat. He evidently feels uncomfortable at having to share with his stepbrother.

MrsWatt Sun 12-Mar-17 18:52:30

My stepson won't share with me or my four year old which I do understand.

DoublyTroubly Sun 12-Mar-17 18:52:41

To be honest, does it really make any difference to you if he sleeps on the sofa in your room? Just let him do what he feels more comfortable with, it's not like he's asking you to spend more money on an additional room and I can understand him not wanting to share a bed with his stepbrother

TrinityForce Sun 12-Mar-17 18:52:56

he isn't being a brat at all

What cruise line is it op? Have you asked them to change the bed configuration?

I don't know, my first instinct would be to say he's being a brat but thinking back to being 17, I can't imagine any of my male friends would've been keen.

Sat on the fence here sorry grin

DoublyTroubly Sun 12-Mar-17 18:54:15

So you can understand your DSS not wanting to share a room with you but you can't understand you DS not wanting to share a bed with his stepbrother???

SmilingButClueless Sun 12-Mar-17 18:54:19

I can understand him not wanting to share a bed. I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to share a bed other than with a romantic partner or their own DC. Sharing a cabin is a different matter.

Is there any way of changing the cabin to one with twin beds, even if this isn't such a nice cabin?

MatildaTheCat Sun 12-Mar-17 18:55:01

Hmm, and ou should have checked before you agreed to the double bed though you did it for the right reasons.

Would he agree if you suggest having 2 duvets on the bed with extra pillows down the middle and sleeping top to tail for example? I wouldn't let him sleep on my sofa. You've paid a fortune for everyone to have their own bed. Can the other two boys be moved at all? Or, of course, can you ring customer service and beg for help?

DisneyMillie Sun 12-Mar-17 18:55:29

Can you not enquire as to the possibility of downgrading their room again so they get separate beds? Even if it means not getting the money back on the difference. Then at least you'll all have more doace

mycavitiesareempty Sun 12-Mar-17 18:55:43

There is no way I would have wanted to share a bed with a step sibling at that age. Room, well, fine and totally different. But bed? No no no no no.

Booksandmags79 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:56:19

If it was just the cabin then yes. But it doesn't sound like it's going to be a great holiday for him if he's uncomfortable for the whole week. Is it too late to change back? Maybe they'd be happier with their own bed in a less luxurious room? As he's happy to give up the luxury room altogether, then maybe that's the answer?

WandaBack Sun 12-Mar-17 18:56:26

He could sleep on the sofa in their cabin? I'd be surprised if they can't alter the bed arrangements, they are normally just two singles pushed together. Last time we cruised DS 18 and 20 were a bit aghast to find they had a double bed but it was soon divided into two singles.
I can't believe he'd rather be cramped in with 4 others including a 4 year old who will wake him up very early grin

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 12-Mar-17 18:57:11

I can completely u derstand him not wanting to share the bed. Sharing a room is one thing but I think sharing the bed is a bit much

silverduck Sun 12-Mar-17 18:57:17

I don't think they should have to share a bed. Singles in a lower grade cabin is fine, 15 and 17 yo brothers is ok.

ComputerUserNumptyTwit Sun 12-Mar-17 18:57:52

It wouldn't occur to me to have my 18yo dss share a bed with 19yo ds. A room maybe, but not a bed.

OSETmum Sun 12-Mar-17 18:57:56

No 17 year old boy is going to want to share a bed with another 17 year old boy, step brother or not!

llhj Sun 12-Mar-17 18:58:02

God it's no big deal sharing a bed with another person, needs must and all that. I've shared a bed with all sorts in my time. It's a bit precious and spoilt imo considering they're getting a fab holiday.

BendingSpoons Sun 12-Mar-17 18:58:41

Is there any way of downgrading the room and having two singles? I have always hated sharing a bed apart from with DH so I don't think he is being U although I get it's an awkward situation.

ComputerUserNumptyTwit Sun 12-Mar-17 18:58:56

*16 yo ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now