Talk

Advanced search

To think it looks like someone tried to break into my house?

(16 Posts)
Balsamicpearls Sun 12-Mar-17 14:37:09

I noticed these marks on my patio door this morning. I've never noticed them before. I've lived at this house for a year but I think I'd have noticed them. What does it look like? There are lots of similar marks on the external side of doors all near the middle where lock is. Any way to make it safer? Although as they haven't managed to get in (if it was an attempt) I suppose that's positive

MuncheysMummy Sun 12-Mar-17 14:43:59

shock certainly looks like it to me!!!

Bundesliga Sun 12-Mar-17 14:46:58

Oh sorry, that must be very worrying. It does look like an attempted break in. It is good they didn't get in.

Saladd0dger Sun 12-Mar-17 14:47:21

I have those marks. It's from getting my keyrings caught in between the door when I'm in a rush

SelfObsessionHoney Sun 12-Mar-17 14:49:29

Just for comparison this is what my back door looks like after someone took a crow bar to it

Wando1986 Sun 12-Mar-17 14:49:29

I'd say so but they're not very good at it. Double glazing only needs to be popped out so they're not very good at their night job. Call 101 OP and report it. Would also suggest a motion light and sanding the patio for a few weeks to check for footprints.

SelfObsessionHoney Sun 12-Mar-17 14:50:15

Thought I'd added it.

Balsamicpearls Sun 12-Mar-17 14:53:33

Thank you. I'd like to get something like a pat lock but won't work on a single handle door. Thanks for advice

Balsamicpearls Sun 12-Mar-17 14:54:58

Salad - wish it were that but we don't use it for general access. Only open it in summer

orzal Sun 12-Mar-17 14:58:50

As Wando1986 says, it's very easy to remove a pane of glass. We used a handyman to have a pane of glass removed to get a large sofa into our living room. I couldn't believe how easy it was and it made very little noise as well.

BakeOffBiscuits Sun 12-Mar-17 15:21:02

We too have those each marks from keys getting caught in the door. I really think that's what it. There are no marks on the outer bit of the door, that you can see. I don't know how someone trying to break in, could make marks on the inside of a door, without also making marks on the bit you can see.

You say you've only lived there for a year and only open it in the summer, so on the few occasions you've opened it, you may not have noticed.

I think you can relax op smile

LadyLapsang Sun 12-Mar-17 15:26:06

Ring 101 and report it. They should also be able to give you advice. Also, check you are locking all your doors and windows properly. If they really want to get in they will but try and make it harder. Also, maybe worth looking on the Police website which shows crime in your area - you can then see where recent burglaries (and other crimes) have occurred.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sun 12-Mar-17 16:40:43

The marks are on the inside though? Or am I missing something?
Either way, please make sure you don't leave a key on the inside of the door - makes thieves jobs much easier (break glass, open door, walk in and out easily)

user1484394242 Sun 12-Mar-17 16:50:09

We put these on the top and bottom of our door after next door had an attempted breakfast in. Got them for £2 or £3 each off amazon

Balsamicpearls Sun 12-Mar-17 17:05:42

Thanks user. Will look into those. There are loads of similar marks on external side of door too...all around the centre

ImportSave Sun 12-Mar-17 17:12:07

I actually don't think that looks like a break in attempt and phoning 101 for a few marks on a door would be stupid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now