Talk

Advanced search

Brexit Orange Juice (and everything else) a complete rip off

(100 Posts)
user1488581876 Sun 12-Mar-17 12:53:02

I notice in the supermarket this morning that the 1 litre cartons of Tropicana juice are now either 950ml or 850mls. Of course, the price has remained the same.

Looking at the aisles in the supermarket this morning, I can see that products have been shrinking at a very dramatic rate in the last few months.

This surreptitious inflation (shrinkflation) seems to have got really out of hand at the moment.I get the impression the major retailers seem to have decided the Great British Public are complete fools and won't notice.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 12-Mar-17 13:20:55

Not just brexit although that hasn't helped as its increased costs. This had been happening for years and if you've only just noticed then it's worked

user1488581876 Sun 12-Mar-17 13:29:45

I haven't only just noticed, harderandharder2breathe.

The issue I'm discussing is that I have noticed is that the rate of shrinkflation seems to have increased dramatically in the last few months compared to what it was a year or so ago.

LostSight Sun 12-Mar-17 13:41:15

Are you annoyed about the whole concept of shrinkflation? (Good word btw!). Or the rate it is now occurring?

Toblerone shrinkflation was my absolute favourite. The whole family found ot hilarious.

Many of the tricks food manufacturers and retailers employ annoy me. My personal bugbear is the tricks they use to make you fat, including selling 'diet' foods that are loaded with sugar, which don't help you slim because they just increase hunger and food cravings.

CountMagnus Sun 12-Mar-17 13:54:43

Wasn't there a Channel 4 Dispatches programme about this the other day?

Roomba Sun 12-Mar-17 14:10:00

I've noticed juice going up a lot recently. I love grapefruit juice, but am weird as I prefer the concentrate stuff rather than fresh. Only Sainsburys sell it near me - it was 75p for 1L before Christmas, in the new year it was 85p, few weeks later 90p and now it's 95p.

Ditto the beetroot dip I love, was £1.30, now £1.50. And the Baba Ganoush, was £1.70, now £2.

Various other things I buy have shrunk in size, so it's now 440ml, not 500ml, or it's 365g rather than 450g now.

I'm sure lots of things are going up in price that I haven't specifically noticed, but I've definitely noticed I spend approx 25% more each week than I did before Christmas.

Florrick Sun 12-Mar-17 14:23:50

There was a recession in 2008 you know.

Its been happening for years - the Christmas chocolate tins get smaller year by year but still the same price.

Owllady Sun 12-Mar-17 14:26:33

It has been happening for years I work in food retail and it was my job to label check on a Saturday am and most of the changes were due to products getting lighter (but staying the same price) and this was over 6 years ago.
I imagine it's getting worse though

RortyCrankle Sun 12-Mar-17 14:30:18

It's absurd and incorrect to blame Brexit; shrinkage of items has been going on for as long as i can remember which is several decades.

Owllady Sun 12-Mar-17 14:33:57

We most probably need to eat less anyway
I'm always amazed ppl eat a whole pizza to themselves (and yes mn have told me I am weird about this before, so don't start grin )

Owllady Sun 12-Mar-17 14:34:39

And btw I'm a couple of stone overweight so could do with eating less myself

FeelingSmurfy Sun 12-Mar-17 14:35:34

Tropicana has been like that for a long time, maybe a year?

user1488581876 Sun 12-Mar-17 16:51:51

If the Dailymail is to be believed, when the Tropicana change occurred depends on where you buy.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-4218994/Tropicana-hit-shrinking-scandal.html

Last month, Sainsbury's were still selling Sainsbury's is selling the new 1.6 litre carton on its website, while Morrisons and Asda are only stocking 1.4 litre cartons for the same price. Tesco's online grocery shop is still stocking the old 1.75 litre bottles. The 1 Litre cartons changed before Christmas.

Chloe84 Sun 12-Mar-17 17:33:09

Aldi freshly squeezed orange juice tastes like Tropicana.

I don't shop there as it's a bit far but that's one thing I noticed.

hennybeans Sun 12-Mar-17 17:41:16

Innocent smoothies have done the same. Used to be a litre.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 12-Mar-17 17:42:45

Since the Brexit vote the pound has dropped 18% against all other major currencies
so imports are more expensive.
Orange juice is imported.

If May actually triggers A50 next week without a commitment to stay in the single market it will get even worse

WTO rules and logistics will add significantly to the cost of everything that is imported
(including a lot of what is exported as the parts are imported)

user1488581876 Sun 12-Mar-17 17:43:29

It's absurd and incorrect to blame Brexit; shrinkage of items has been going on for as long as i can remember which is several decades.

If shrinkage of items were going on at this rate for several decades, all items now would be reduced to practically nothing long ago.

Brexit and the fact that the pound now buys 25-30% less in euro/dollar terms goes a long way to explaining the rising costs.

Hacpac Sun 12-Mar-17 18:50:13

Prices gone up loads on some goods too. I've noticed fish is really expensive now.

StrawberryShortcake32 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:55:45

I stubbed my toe earlier. Damn you Brexit!

af2000 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:56:30

Pizzas too.. Have you noticed that the big round fresh pizzas have now become oval shaped and are significantly smaller/lighter. I understand if ingredients have become more expensive there is a need to make savings but either make the pizza the same size and increase the price or make the pizza smaller and price accordingly. The current set up makes me feel like I'm being ripped off angry

user1488581876 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:10:15

I stubbed my toe earlier. Damn you Brexit!

Correlation does not imply causation

(then again it could be argued that both can be caused by an inability to see further than one's nose.)

caroldecker Sun 12-Mar-17 19:24:44

Much food should actually get cheaper - there are import duties into the EU on most foodstuffs. The EU pays, on average, 15% more than world prices for food.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 12-Mar-17 19:50:40

Caroldecker
Put your cards on the table
which foods - name 3, any 3 - that you expect to be cheaper if the UK leaves the single market.
I used to do customs clearance so have the WTO tariff at my fingertips ready to roll
waiting for names ....

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 12-Mar-17 20:00:16

It has been going on for years. Look at how everyone complains about Quality Street every year.

user1488581876 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:30:33

It has been going on for years. Look at how everyone complains about Quality Street every year.

I don't believe anyone is disputing that shrinkage hasn't been around for years. However, the rate of shrinkage going on across the board at the moment is particularly alarming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now