Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to pop the shops with my pox riddled daughter?

(111 Posts)
FrankiesKnuckle Sun 12-Mar-17 10:12:45

Daughter has erupted in pox spots overnight. She's ok in herself, a bit over emotional (she's 4).

So Sunday's activity is out obviously.

I've promised to make cakes with her, now I've realized I need actual stuff to make them.

WIBU to take her to the shop? Large supermarket in town 10minutes away, and possibly the pound shop for occupying tat?

I've got no one else to look after her, her grandparents are away and my husband is working and won't be home until 8pm. Couple of local friends are busy/avoiding the pox.

So, can we nip out?

FrankiesKnuckle Sun 12-Mar-17 10:13:23

Pop TO the shops.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Mar-17 10:13:26

No you can't go.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:14:14

Hood up, scarf around and tell her not to talk to anyone. ..
Or ring a bell ahead of her walking down the aisles!!
Enjoy the cakes!!

Spadequeen Sun 12-Mar-17 10:14:17

No. Find something else to fo

SoupDragon Sun 12-Mar-17 10:14:22

Find something else to do that doesn't involve deliberately and unnecessarily putting other people at risk.

Onlyaplasticbagdear Sun 12-Mar-17 10:15:06

Nope sorry. Can someone go and buy the things for you and drop them off?

NapQueen Sun 12-Mar-17 10:15:12

No you cant take her. Different if she was a baby and tucked well into a pushchair away from anyone but she is 4. No.

Get dh to bring baking stuff in tonight and do it tomorrow.

AristotlesTrousers Sun 12-Mar-17 10:15:38

I wouldn't, no.

Wishing her a speedy recovery. flowers

witwootoodleoo Sun 12-Mar-17 10:16:03

Couldn't your friends that are avoiding the pox lend you the ingredients/go to the shop for you and leave the supplies on your doorstep?

KarmaNoMore Sun 12-Mar-17 10:17:11

If they are crusted over that is fine, if not you are being very selfish. You are passing it in and there are people who may be very vulnerable in the supermarkets (I am half deaf thank to catching measles as a young baby before I was old enough to get the vaccine).

PragmaticWench Sun 12-Mar-17 10:17:13

You know it's not okay. Some people have suppressed immune systems and they are more important than you making cakes with your DD.

I know it's frustrating but some families spend weeks and weeks in quarantine when one child after another gets the pox, that's just how it goes.

SellFridges Sun 12-Mar-17 10:18:12

Chicken pox, as I understand it, is spread by direct contact with the virus. So if you cover the spots, ensure she doesn't cough and sneeze over anyone and make sure she doesn't touch anything, I think it's fine.

SellFridges Sun 12-Mar-17 10:18:50

Or. Amazon Prime Now.

Annesmyth123 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:18:51

You can't take her if her spots are not all crusted over.

RockyTop Sun 12-Mar-17 10:19:43

No you really shouldn't take her.

FrankiesKnuckle Sun 12-Mar-17 10:19:55

Unanimous so it seems.

No red paint, pink will have to do to daub our front door with a large P.

Long day ahead.

highinthesky Sun 12-Mar-17 10:20:03

Can you not find a simpler cake to make together using stock ingredients?

E.g. cornflakes, butter, cocoa and golden syrup = chocolate cornflake cakes?

Winniethepooer Sun 12-Mar-17 10:20:33

Op as frustrating as it is, think about others.

Its so trival, 'to pop to the shops' but for a pregnant mum or person with an immunity issue it could be a really big deal to come into contact with Chicken Pox.
YABU

KarmaNoMore Sun 12-Mar-17 10:21:06

That advice really puzzled me Sellfridges... how do you ensure a child doesn't cough?

Creatureofthenight Sun 12-Mar-17 10:21:27

No you can't take her out.

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:23:04

A colleague of mine has not antibodies for chickenpox, and is registered disabled, and if she comes in to contact with someone with chicken pox she either has to take a course of anyibiotics within 24 hours or she has to be admitted to hospital and put on a drip.

FrankiesKnuckle Sun 12-Mar-17 10:23:08

2nd option. Drive a bit further to a tesco express petrol station. She can stay in the car. Job done.

Onlyaplasticbagdear Sun 12-Mar-17 10:23:29

Oh that would be fine I think.

PeridotPeridot Sun 12-Mar-17 10:26:56

No you can't, it would be really irresponsible.

We had CP back to back here for a month...ds2 had it, was just ready to go back to school when ds1 came down with it.

It was horrendous with work and life in general. Shit happens though, you just have to deal with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now