Talk

Advanced search

any medically minded people awake? WIBU to get a tetanus shot?

(15 Posts)
deliverdaniel Sun 12-Mar-17 04:02:12

Can anyone help me. Had a bit of an incident today- DS playing on beach- got stuck in sinking mud. I had to go and pull him out. Cut my foot badly on glass in the mud . The cut is full of mud after several cleanings and I can't get it out. Not sure how polluted teh beach is, but it's in an industrial area in the bay. It's still bleeding a few hours later. Is this the kind of thing that needs a tetanus shot or am I being a wuss? If so, can it wait til tomorrow? (it would be a major hassle to go out now to do it -it's pretty late and would involve my DH cancelling his evening plans to come back and look after DC)

Thank you

steff13 Sun 12-Mar-17 04:04:28

If it's still bleeding does it need stitches? I'm in the US, here I'd go to the er for that. Or urgent care if it was open. I'd definitely want a tetanus shot. How long since you've had one?

deliverdaniel Sun 12-Mar-17 04:06:31

Hi Steff- thanks for replying we are in the US too. Urgent care not open and so it would have to be ER. Don't think it needs stitches (not bleeding loads but steadily a bit) but I don't know. It's more the infection thing that worries me... But going to the ER is obv a major pain and usually incredibly expesnive too so would rather nto if i don't need to...

londonrach Sun 12-Mar-17 04:07:15

Sounds like needs stitches and def a tetanus shot.

steff13 Sun 12-Mar-17 04:15:11

When did you have your last tdap? Did you get one when your last kid was born? If it's been more than 10 years, you definitely need it.

steff13 Sun 12-Mar-17 04:16:37

The er is a pain, but I'd go.

sycamore54321 Sun 12-Mar-17 04:16:53

Tetanus is a horrid thing - most associated with soil but I imagine a beach isn't much different. Have you had a tetanus shot in the last few years, in which case I'd be a little more relaxed about rushing? But your description of a dirty wound with foreign bodies in it, and still bleeding hours later is much more worrying. I really think you should get some attention as soon as you practically can.

deliverdaniel Sun 12-Mar-17 04:17:11

thanks everyone- do you think it's ok to go tomorrow or do I need to go now?

Needcourage Sun 12-Mar-17 04:32:11

Hi, OP..
When was your last tetanus vaccination? If you are 18yrs old or less and you are fully immunised against tetanus (5 doses) then you should be okay. If older and it's been 5 years or more since last vaccine, then you may need a shot. If 10 years or more since last vaccine, then you need a shot. If you are unsure...can't remember when last you had a booster, then you need to get checked out.

Needcourage Sun 12-Mar-17 04:36:17

From the way you describe it....bleeding and despite several washings, can't get it out....I would say the sooner you get it checked out..the better. Not really advisable to delay these sort of things. May seem like a minor injury but the consequences of poor care are major.
Your DH would understand. Sometimes these things happen.

deliverdaniel Sun 12-Mar-17 04:42:43

Thanks so much needs yes I'm over 18 and I'm sure longer than 10 years since booster. On my way now. Huge thanks for replying. I always feel embarrassed to go to ER as though they'll tell me it's not serious enough and to stop making such a fuss!

shinysinkredemption Sun 12-Mar-17 04:52:45

Better safe than sorry. Good luck OP

Needcourage Sun 12-Mar-17 05:19:36

Glad you are going to ER, OP. Sounds like you would need a shot. Best of luck. Hope you don't have a long wait in ER. So you can be back home soonest.

deliverdaniel Sun 12-Mar-17 08:45:08

Thanks everyone- 7 stitches and a shot. Glad I went. Thanks for the advice

shinysinkredemption Sun 12-Mar-17 09:21:17

Brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now