Talk

Advanced search

To put this scaffolding on eBay?

(29 Posts)
justwanttoweeinpeace Sat 11-Mar-17 18:48:58

My roof is covered in scaffolding. I've been asking to have it removed weekly since November. Every time they 'forget' or they'll 'do it this week'.

I'm pretty sure it's increasing the risk of a burglary, not to mention it being an eyesore and doing my garden no favours.

In all seriousness, how do I get rid?

PuntCuffin Sat 11-Mar-17 18:51:40

We had similar issues. I did end up saying that if it wasn't gone by the following week i was going to consider it my property and sell it. They removed it.

Have never understood why they would not want to move it to the next job as they can't be earning from it staying on a complete job. Unless they have no work and have not planned for storage. Which would be bonkers.

PuntCuffin Sat 11-Mar-17 18:51:53

We had similar issues. I did end up saying that if it wasn't gone by the following week i was going to consider it my property and sell it. They removed it.

Have never understood why they would not want to move it to the next job as they can't be earning from it staying on a complete job. Unless they have no work and have not planned for storage. Which would be bonkers.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:53:03

Hang' free 'signs on it. .

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 11-Mar-17 18:59:03

November?
You've got more patience than me!
I'd expect it to be removed within 2 weeks of finish of roofing work

PollyBanana Sat 11-Mar-17 18:59:45

Charge them storage!

justwanttoweeinpeace Sat 11-Mar-17 19:07:43

If anyone wants it I'm in Herts, PM me!

CatsRidingRollercoasters Sat 11-Mar-17 19:09:17

The OP has said that her dd is nearly 3. My dd has just turned 3 and couldn't give a crap about her hair style. Long may it continue!

CatsRidingRollercoasters Sat 11-Mar-17 19:09:40

Wrong thread blush

CatsRidingRollercoasters Sat 11-Mar-17 19:11:45

Just to add, YANBU OP! Give them an ultimatum: a week to get it shifted or you're giving it away. I'll bet they pick it up.

I agree that it's a security risk. To someone passing in the street, a person up on scaffolding looking in windows etc doesn't look particularly suspicious.

gamerchick Sat 11-Mar-17 19:11:45

It's a storage thing, they'll leave it until they need it again. Free storage.

Just tell them you'll consider it yours at X date as suggested in writing and it'll probably be collected pretty quick.

justwanttoweeinpeace Sat 11-Mar-17 19:31:38

Right, scaffolders given an ultimatum and it's post-dated on freecycle.

Thanks all!

BigGreenOlives Sat 11-Mar-17 19:33:13

It's much easier for them to move it from one house to another & only have to load up their lofty once, hence them leaving it.

BigGreenOlives Sat 11-Mar-17 19:33:21

Lorry

Homemadeapplepie Sat 11-Mar-17 19:34:39

Yep, happened to us too. I think they just leave it in situ until they need it for another job.

PuntCuffin Sat 11-Mar-17 19:35:08

That's not the OP'S problem though.

Collaborate Sat 11-Mar-17 20:13:31

You must look at s12 of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act1977. Provided you follow the procedure to the letter you will eventually be able to sell it without being arrested for theft. You will however not be able to keep any profit, and will have to pay it all over to him.

mypropertea Sat 11-Mar-17 20:35:30

I had this problem. After a very stern phone call from myself they rang back 5 min later to say they were currently taking it down. I said that was odd as I was in my house. Turns out they were merrily stealing a scaffold off someone else's house grin

Melfish Sat 11-Mar-17 20:40:22

We had ours up for ages, the builders blamed the scaffolding company etc and it was up there for at least a month- the job on our chimney took 2 days FGS! We're needing work on our other chimney and I'm dreading having the scaffolding up for weeks again, particularly as it's a shared chimney and I don't want to piss my neighbour off.

MycatsaPirate Sat 11-Mar-17 20:42:21

My dp needs a couple of scaffold poles but we are too far away?

Can you post them? grin

pootsmum Sat 11-Mar-17 21:02:11

Keep it! Use the boards (or sell them at £30 each to allotment owners) as raised beds and sell the poles for scrap. Or hire a couple of lads and start your own scaffolding company. Quids in.

justwanttoweeinpeace Sat 11-Mar-17 21:43:45

Ooh, raised beds. Now there's an idea...

justwanttoweeinpeace Sat 11-Mar-17 21:45:43

Collaborate - I really wish I could understand a word of the document you linked to sad

Steviea88 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:55:58

If you do decide to get rid will happily come and collect grin

Steviea88 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:58:13

I think you need to send a letter to their registered address (signed for) stating that if it isn't removed from your property by a certain date then you will be disposing of it yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now