Talk

Advanced search

To enjoy eating burnt bits on food?

(12 Posts)
PlayOnWurtz Sat 11-Mar-17 18:48:07

Especially grilled meat. The burnt bits are the best! DH thinks I'm weird.

mummymeister Sat 11-Mar-17 19:28:25

hes right. there have been a few studies which show that burnt meat is carcinogenic. Much as I love it to, I have stopped eating it. you need to google the evidence and decide for yourself.

UrethaFranklin Sat 11-Mar-17 19:32:01

I love it. Make a lasagne and chip all the burnt bits of cheese from round the edge - yum yum the best bit!

Thinking about it, burnt crispy cheese is the best of any meal.

Coulddowithanap Sat 11-Mar-17 19:32:18

I totally agree with you. When my parents do Sunday dinner for the whole family my sisters and I will offer to help dish up with the intention of getting the burned edges of meat, burned edges of stuffing and apple crumble are also great!

Unicorn81 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:34:13

Mmmm burnt cheese and very crispy bacon is the best. I sometimes just shove some parmasen on a baking tray and make them crispy, amazing

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Sat 11-Mar-17 19:47:15

The burnt crispy bits round the edge of a baking dish are the best.

DeadGood Sat 11-Mar-17 19:52:24

It's called the Maillard reaction. mummymeister, I don't think the OP was commenting on how healthy burnt foods are, but how they taste. You even say in your post that they taste better!

The point is that the OP's partner is the 'weird' one, as I'd say it's common knowledge that browned food tastes good.

mummymeister Sat 11-Mar-17 20:26:42

browned food yes but burnt food? she says the burnt bits not the browned bits in her OP.

I like cooked food. I like my meat to be browned. and I did used to love all the burnt crispy bits of bacon, sausages, roast pork etc. however, the occasional bit is probably ok but having read up on the risks - just don't do it now.

high fat foods and high sugar foods taste good as well but wouldn't advocate eating a lot of them either.

DevonshireCreamTea Sat 11-Mar-17 20:31:07

yanbu mmm i love burnt crispy bits on the edge of cottage pie etc. he is being U ;)

Ethylred Sat 11-Mar-17 20:37:16

Acrylamides.

Happy eating.

Believeitornot Sat 11-Mar-17 20:40:04

It's horrible!

SwedishEdith Sat 11-Mar-17 20:42:46

I love crunching the ends of chicken legs - presumably the bit just before the chopped off feet. And burnt chicken skin - gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now