Talk

Advanced search

children at the hairdressers ...

(28 Posts)
6079SmithW Sat 11-Mar-17 17:23:25

I enjoy going to the hairdressers. It's not just about getting a haircut. It's two hours every 6-8 weeks where I get a nice pamper, drink coffee, read trashy magazines and enjoy the peace and quiet.
Today this experience was blighted by other people's children. One woman in particular (who was with another stylist) sat chatting away merrily while her ds roamed the salon, sat spinning on the empty chairs, generally made a nuisance of himself and shouted 'mum mum mum mum' constantly throughout because he was being ignored.
Yet more children then arrived, and to be fair they were quieter but still it seemed pretty inappropriate for them to be practising their singing and dancing in the salon.
AIBU to think that unless your dc is actually having the haircut/beauty treatment/whatever you should leave them at home? Can't decide if I'm turning into a crabby old woman?! angry

Aeroflotgirl Sat 11-Mar-17 17:25:54

Very easy, if you have family and friends to look after them, some people like myself, have nobody, so have to take them. I guess it would have been better if she waited until they were at school.

Coverup890 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:26:19

I think in an ideal world they should be but what about single parents ect? Im really stingy so i go to those cheap places that are always full of kids.

Haggisfish Sat 11-Mar-17 17:26:36

I would never take dc to hairdresser for reasons you describe. Some people might have no childcare, I guess, but I think I would organise for a home visit hairdresser if I were in that position!

highinthesky Sat 11-Mar-17 17:28:42

A bit of both, really. The salon will not want to lose business by being seen to be unwelcoming to children, but it wouldn't have harmed for the mum to have kept her kids contained and amused with their own toys.

Perhaps ask the salon when their quiet times are? Emphasise that you enjoy the sanctuary of your pamper-time.

Wish I could afford to have my hair done every 6-8 weeks. It gets pinned up from 2-4 months post haircut to save it from looking out of shape.

I8toys Sat 11-Mar-17 17:28:48

God no - leave them at home. Its sometimes the only time we have away from them. YANBU

TheOnlyLivingToyInNewYork Sat 11-Mar-17 17:29:02

No hairdresser I go to would allow that. There are chemicals and hot things and sharp things everywhere, and you're not properly looking after your kid if you are getting your hair done.

either go when they are with someone else or don't go at all.

TwatteryFlowers Sat 11-Mar-17 17:32:17

A single parent who works full time would find it very difficult to go to the hairdressers without their children. It's not always as easy to 'leave then at home'.

Having said that though, it does annoy me when people let their kids take over the place whenever they go anywhere and some parents do seem incapable of telling them to sit down/sit still/stop touching everything.

TheOnlyLivingToyInNewYork Sat 11-Mar-17 17:33:38

A single parent who works full time would find it very difficult to go to the hairdressers without their children. It's not always as easy to 'leave then at home'

Thats what mobile hairdressers were invented for. Or babysitters.
Or not getting your hair done at all, its not like its necessary.

merrymouse Sat 11-Mar-17 17:37:20

I agree I'd be concerned that they would bump into somebody holding sharp scissors or knock over something hot. I'm surprised the hairdressers didn't say something. Hairdressers aren't really safe environments for lively preschoolers.

However, I think it's really a commercial decision. Some hairdressers offer coffee and pampering. Some are loud and busy, some are cheap and quick. If you value pampering or are very clearly paying for pampering, give your hairdresser feedback and then either stay or vote with your feet.

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 11-Mar-17 17:39:07

My hairdresser doesn't allow children, I have had times in my life when I have had to take a baby or preschooler due to lack of support or because breastfeeding but they have been pinned into buggies. I will sit on fence and say I would rather they weren't there distracting my pampering experience but totally understand that sometimes needs must. ( wouldn't expect them to walk around or make a noise though

WorraLiberty Sat 11-Mar-17 17:43:41

I remember the mind numbing boredom of having to go to the hairdressers with my mum, while she had a perm.

I used to sit on a chair and quietly read a library book. Occasionally the hairdressers would offer me an orange squash and I remember one Summer, being given an ice lolly.

But there was no way in the world my mum would have let me spin round on chairs, or run about disturbing people.

If you need to take your kids with you, make sure they behave themselves or use a mobile service.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:47:30

I think it's unprofessional to allow children to roam around. For parents who have no childcare - mobile hairdressers are your answer.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 11-Mar-17 17:49:24

I don't understand people who let their kids prance about in hairdressers. If they must come, park them with a book/iPad, on pain of death.

We had to go loads of boring places as children and sit still. ''Tis good training for work. wink

<zooms off on Zimmer frame>

Crunchymum Sat 11-Mar-17 17:49:38

I remember going for a haircut with my friend when DC1 was just one. I left him at home but she bought her (at the time) almost 2 year old.

It was a fucking nightmare. The child was understandably bored, but he was awful.

That said this friend does have form for taking her kids to 'inappropriate' places (well places I'd not be able to enjoy with my kids in tow grin)

I cancelled a drink with her one Saturday as she was bringing her child - he wouldn't have even been allowed in the pub on a Saturday evening?

* she isn't a single parent by the way!!!

ofudginghell Sat 11-Mar-17 17:50:35

Hairdresser here smile

For clients that have little children under school age Saturdays and our late evenings are a winner so they can get childcare and come and relax themselves.
We have a polite but direct notice to clients regarding children
If children are accompanying an adult (it's not recommended for a colour/longer appointment)they have to be old enough to sit on our waiting area quietly and not move around the salon.
If they can't do that we advise the parents come at a more suitable time so as not to ruin the experience for other clients grin

We also generally book children in for haircuts after school times rather than Saturdays or busier periods as again it can cause chaos.
Although we don't reject children we state for both health and safety and other clients relaxation reasons the above.

I too agree that young children shouldn't be allowed to run around hair salons with chemicals and hot irons. It's a big no no from us.

Just to add I have three children of varying ages and couldn't think of anything worse than them running riot in the only time a lot of women get to relax.

BitchQueen90 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:54:48

I always book my appointments when DS is at nursery. However on one recent occasion my hairdresser had to change my appointment and I took DS. They were fine with him being there. Granted he wasn't running around the salon though, he was just sat watching kids YouTube on my phone. I go to a nail salon regularly as well where a lot of people bring in their kids, doesn't bother me at all.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Mar-17 17:58:55

YANBU

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sat 11-Mar-17 18:12:41

Yanbu i hate it

A newborn isn't so bad if it's sleeping/happy enough but a toddler, that's bored, noisy and running round pisses me off no end.

Last time I had my hair dyed then women next to me was also having hers dyed but she'd brought her dd along she must of only been around 3 I mean ffs what child is going to sit and behave while you have your hair dyed, it's not a quick trim is it. Needless to say the child soon started playing up.

Mobile hairdressers are easy to find if you have no childcare

JassyRadlett Sat 11-Mar-17 18:15:44

Am I the only person who hates the idea of mobile hairdressers?

I make sure I book evening appointments so it's lovely and calm, and my own kids are asleep by the time I get home.

Gillian1980 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:16:01

Taking kids with you to the hairdresser - fine.

Letting kid run about and make noise - not fine!

I used to have to sit quietly with a book. I'd expect dd to sit with a book or maybe a tablet (with headphones!).

I'm not a regular visitor to the hairdresser, maybe once or twice a year - but I do usually have to take dd with me.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Sat 11-Mar-17 18:21:55

I've had the same hairdresser for years because she's bloody good & therefore continued to see her after DC, she also cuts their hair which would be pretty hard if they weren't present...
They don't fuck around though, mainly due to gameplay on tablets & food if that fails.
I don't take them when I have my colour done though.

Pinkheart5915 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:24:06

It depends

Taking your dc If your having a cut and blow dry is different to taking them when you have your hair dyed for example which can take a long time

Taking your dc if they sit quietly is different to taking them and letting them run round because you don't fancy parenting your child while you get your hair cut, the rest of the salon doesn't want to hear your child playing up.

I always leave my babies with mil or dh and get my hair cut, my oldest is only 18 months and he wouldn't be happy sitting in the salon for ages.

When I've been to the hair salon other people have had dc with them that have been well behaved but there has also be parents that think it's acceptable to let them run around the place or using an iPad with earphones because we all went to listen to Peppa Pig

KingPrawnOkay Sat 11-Mar-17 19:14:38

It depends on the child really. I pay a lot for my hair and like you I enjoy the experience and wouldn't want it ruined but to be fair nearly all of the children I've ever seen in my hairdressers have been well behaved, sat still in the waiting area with their Nintendo or whatever. They're very quick to ask parents to discipline their children and if a child can't be quiet and sit down they say they'll both have to leave if they can't control their brat child. I've seen it happen and I did have a giggle to myself.

MidniteScribbler Sat 11-Mar-17 22:18:10

I have no choice by to take DS. I'm a teacher, so when he's at school, I'm at work. Not going to waste money on a babysitter when he is quite capable of sitting still quietly and playing with a tablet or colouring book. He has a little backpack he takes places with him that keeps him entertained. I wouldn't take him if he didn't sit still or disturbed anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now