Talk

Advanced search

A bedroom one

(65 Posts)
sorryforme Sat 11-Mar-17 15:36:14

What would you think about this?

A man lives by himself in a 3 bedroom house with 2 double rooms, 1 small single. He has 1 dc to stay up to 3 nights a week.

AIBU to be annoyed that said dc is given the small room?

I know people often do this when they are a couple but he has the whole of the rest of the house for himself already.

Sirzy Sat 11-Mar-17 15:40:03

What is the other room used for?

babyunicornvomit Sat 11-Mar-17 15:42:01

It depends. If the other double has been converted to something he uses daily - a gym, study, library etc. - then I don't think he is BU by doing this, as long as the small room is decorated reasonably nicely for DC. If it's just an empty bedroom or unused room, then yes he is being VU.

gleam Sat 11-Mar-17 15:42:50

Is it the box room?

Patriciathestripper1 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:43:54

Why would that make you annoyed?
Is it your child?

sorryforme Sat 11-Mar-17 15:45:21

I think it's a kind of study and place for his stuff, but the other room could have been. The double rooms are big. I haven't been in to see what it's used for but I've been in other houses that are the same layout.

haveacupoftea Sat 11-Mar-17 15:47:16

A single room is big enough for a part time resident child.

TheOnlyLivingToyInNewYork Sat 11-Mar-17 15:48:07

YABU. His house, up to him what he does. A single room is perfectly adequate for a child.

Minniemagoo Sat 11-Mar-17 15:49:00

For 1 night a week the child won't have much 'stuff' so better to have 1 room dedicated theirs even if it's small. Other room can then double up as spare/office/junk room with the child ever being affected.
Honestly as it's only 1 night a week I think its great the child has a full time room.

sorryforme Sat 11-Mar-17 15:49:36

Yes, I suppose it's a box room. There wouldn't be much space left with a bed in.

Minniemagoo Sat 11-Mar-17 15:49:49

Oops sorry misread - its 3 night not one per week but I do think a dedicated single is fine.

sorryforme Sat 11-Mar-17 15:50:18

I said 3 nights a week.

PurpleDaisies Sat 11-Mar-17 15:50:33

As long as the room the child is in is big enough for them and their things I can't see an issue. They've got a room of their own rather than a part time bedroom, part time study etc which is better than what I had when I stayed with my dad.

I'm guessing this is an ex you're pissed off with?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sat 11-Mar-17 15:50:39

Why are you so interested in how someone uses their house?

NavyandWhite Sat 11-Mar-17 15:50:40

A man? Your exH?

TheNaze73 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:50:50

YABU.

indigox Sat 11-Mar-17 15:50:57

Why does it matter to you?

UnbornMortificado Sat 11-Mar-17 15:51:10

YA probably BU his house his rules etc but it does seem a bit odd. I wouldn't of done it that way personally.

m0therofdragons Sat 11-Mar-17 15:52:05

When we had just 1 dd we also had similar situation re bedrooms and we made the single room her bedroom and kept the double as a spare room for visitors etc. Seems sensible to me and surely up to the parent how they use the space in their own house.

Andrewofgg Sat 11-Mar-17 15:53:45

This is your DC, isn't it?

As long as the single room is adequate for a one-night stay YABU. It's his home. You would not take kindly to him suggesting you change your arrangements.

Meluzyna Sat 11-Mar-17 15:54:07

Of course it depends on a lot of things. Does this mean that the DC has exclusive use of the smaller room and that (s)he can leave all their stuff there from one week to the next without worrying about anhone coming in on the four days they are elsewhere?
That actually sounds reasonable to me: presumably if the chap has guests - his parents, other friends (couples) to stay then he needs the use of the double bedroom regardless of whether or not the child is there. My parents gave me the second double bedroom in our home when I was 8 years old, on the understanding that I would move into the empty small single whenever there were guests (which happened fairly frequently as both parents' families were large and lived too far away to come for the day). Although I enjoyed having the bigger space on a daily basis it never felt as if it was entirely "mine". In some ways if I'd had the smaller room it would have been completely my own.

sorryforme Sat 11-Mar-17 15:54:14

Yes, it's my dc and I'm annoyed because he has form for being selfish. I wanted to see whether other people thought it was ok but I appreciate as an isolated issue it probably doesn't appear that bad.

deloresclaiborne Sat 11-Mar-17 15:55:50

sounds fine to me at least they have their own room and not sleeping on the settee
are you the child?

deloresclaiborne Sat 11-Mar-17 15:56:14

sorry x post

typedwithcertainty Sat 11-Mar-17 15:57:52

I live in a 3 bedroom house, 2 doubles one single, and have given my DC the single and he's here's permanently shockblush

Now I feel bad! I don't see the issue, his needs are met aren't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now