Talk

Advanced search

To try and negotiate a pan-London Estate Agent down to 1% commission?

(6 Posts)
foamgliders Sat 11-Mar-17 15:08:03

Our house is an easy sell in a nice part of SW London near good schools etc. Lots of young couples settle around here to start a family, often moving from inner-London boroughs where prices are higher, and often introduced to the area by estate agents. There are lots of local estate agencies, but we're tempted by Dexters who operate over a wider area and so have more of those types of potential buyers on their books. They sell a lot of properties around here.

Websites like this one tell me I should be trying to negotiate fees down to 1% or lower, but would I be whistling in the wind with a pan-London agency? It would be handy to know what's achievable, but it's not something that seems to get discussed on the review sites - perhaps they make you sign a non-disclosure agreement before they'll agree to lower their fee!??

Trifleorbust Sat 11-Mar-17 15:09:26

I doubt they would make you sign an NDA - they would have to be very desperate for your business!

foamgliders Sat 11-Mar-17 15:36:28

Yeah, I doubt it too. It's odd though - so many online sites are quick to say "you should negotiate" but nobody ever discusses what they managed to negotiate, or at least if they do claim to have negotiated a super deal they don't name the agent.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 11-Mar-17 15:41:41

If it's foxtons you have no chance.

foamgliders Sat 11-Mar-17 16:58:56

No, not Foxtons - I did read online that they don't negotiate. It's Dexters, and they say they do, but just wondering what people have managed to negotiate with them.

foamgliders Sun 12-Mar-17 12:46:41

Bumping for the Sunday crowd.

Has anyone negotiated Dexters down to 1%?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now