We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To burn my house down?

(12 Posts)
Bonadrag1988 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:50:36

Obviously not, but I am going out of my mind.
I have flies in my bedroom. They look a bit like fruit flies (tiny, black, really fucking annoying), and I can't work out where the fuck they're coming from. They don't bite, but they're driving me nuts.

I've tried raid fly spray and although it kills them, these little bastards are relentless. I'd admire them if they weren't so fucking annoying. Does anyone have any advice about how the f to get rid off them, forever?

(In the past I've used indorex to get rid of fleas when my cat had them, does anyone know if that'll work? I'm losing the plot here!).

Mumteedum Sat 11-Mar-17 10:57:40

You can trap fruit flies with a jar of cider vinegar and washing up liquid mixture. Put cling film over and pierce it in several places.

listsandbudgets Sat 11-Mar-17 11:27:33

OP I'm sorry about this but last time this happened to me, it was followed a few days later by an awful stench and I finally sourced the whole problem to a dead bird covered in maggots in my boiler cupboard. I still have no idea how it got there looks suspiciously at cat.

Once removed the whole fly problem disappeared within a couple of hours, though given I was wretching my guts up I wasn't able to appreciate this.

Sorry OP but you may need to hunt for dead bodies or rotting meat - possibly under floor boards sad

AGrinWithoutACat Sat 11-Mar-17 11:58:32

Try fresh mint - growing in a pot or cut stems - it helped reduce the fly population I had in my house one year - apparently they don't like it

DJBaggySmalls Sat 11-Mar-17 12:00:04

They could be drain flies. Pour some toilet bleach down all the plug holes and drains, then put the plug in or cover them.

AnathemaPulsifer Sat 11-Mar-17 12:00:24

How tiny? I've had truly tiny flies emanating from a rotten banana a couple of times after a holiday. Maybe in the bottom of a bag somewhere?

ImperialBlether Sat 11-Mar-17 12:03:14

Do you have a plant in the room? I was trying to grow something from M&S - a bulb in a pot - nothing happened and then I noticed it was mouldy. That's when those little flies appeared - once I chucked it out, they went.

AndHoldTheBun Sat 11-Mar-17 12:18:46

I've had this a few times, fruit flies can come in with fruit, or in compost/house plants and can be difficult to get rid of if you don't find where they are coming from.

Anything like fruit (or even nuts, or dry fruit) can get infested so either keep fruit in the fridge or if it's not fridgable, under a mesh dome. Make sure open packets of dried fruit or nuts are kept sealed shut.

Look in your DC bedrooms for discarded apple cores or banana skins... empty bins frequently especially any that might contain any kind of vegetation. Clean under the fridge etc now and again because it's easy for bits of veg or fruit peel to find its way under machines (especially if the bin is close by and your DC are as crack-handed at using it as mine are, and drop bits on the floor) confused

LisaMed1 Sat 11-Mar-17 12:25:10

How big are they? If you can't find an obvious source of flies in fruit etc have you checked for woodworm?

HLBug Sat 11-Mar-17 12:26:23

Yup same as lists - this happened to us. It was horrible - they were all over the living room. Would get rid of them, close the door at night, walk in next morning and they'd be all over the windows again. Turned out to be a dead pigeon that had fallen down the chimney and got stuck on the chimney sheep we had stuffed half way up to help keep the room cosy. Had to get a proper Mary Poppins style chimney sweep round to clean everything out. Horrid.

Degasinacar Sat 11-Mar-17 14:27:21

We had this with a potato that had fallen behind a kick board. There wasn't enough bleach in the world to scrub me clean of removing that. Agree with others, Hunt now for it before it gets really bad.

MrsJamin Sat 11-Mar-17 14:35:34

Don't joke about burning your house down please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now