Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scented candles - am I the only person that hates the things?!

(46 Posts)
Starlighter Sat 11-Mar-17 08:16:19

Christmas, birthdays, anything, people keep buying me scented candles?! I hate the bloody things!

I have young children, I don't have time for that shit!

Is it just me?? It seems like such a thoughtless gift, like buying someone air freshener as a present?!

Maybe they're trying to tell me my house stinks... hmm

HookandSwan Sat 11-Mar-17 08:23:12

I'm a Yankee candle addict :D I think they make a lovely gift but if it's not your thing that's totally fine smile YANBU x

Snap8TheCat Sat 11-Mar-17 08:24:31

How much time do you need to light a candle?

Palomb Sat 11-Mar-17 08:26:10

How can you not have time for candles. How much time to candles need?

Wolpertinger Sat 11-Mar-17 08:28:31

No!

Nasty things that smell horrid and set off my asthma. I can barely go in my local garden centre due to ginormous Yankee Candle display in the entrance.

Plus then there's the time I left one burning all night - massive fire risk.

Instant regift or charity shop in this house.

oliviaoatcake Sat 11-Mar-17 08:28:47

Sorry OP, I love them. Diptique, The White Company, Jo Malone, Just Jo especially. Si even like the salted caramel ones that New Look do.

Trills Sat 11-Mar-17 08:29:17

Many people like them. I do.

I understand that you don't like them but don't understand what you mean by not "having time" for them. You don't light them and then watch them burn. You can do other things while they burn.

Unless you suspect that your friends secretly hate you, they intend it as a nice gift because they think they are nice.

Just tell them that it's not really your thing.

onlyconnect Sat 11-Mar-17 08:33:09

I like them but it's a recent thing. I used not to and if I got one as a present I'd put it straight in the jumble. I don't like them near food though. Horrible if there's a candle giving off scent near where you're eating.

SleepFreeZone Sat 11-Mar-17 08:34:25

Love them. I have a high shelf I can burn them on.

Ellisandra Sat 11-Mar-17 08:37:36

It's nice to walk into a room to a really nice fragrance.

But - I flipping hate that over priced candles have become a go to lazy no thought gift for women.

Yes, some will love that gift. I just think "I'd rather you put thought in or saved your money".

Kennington Sat 11-Mar-17 08:40:19

They are a big cause of indoor air pollution. Releasing soot into a room. And a load of iffy perfume vapours.
They are no good for anyone's health - same goes for plug ins, febreeze and all other artificial room frangrances.

dementedma Sat 11-Mar-17 08:42:06

Isle of Skye candles are natural and smell gorgeous.

Annesmyth123 Sat 11-Mar-17 08:43:11

They make me wheeze and sneeze. I hate them.

Blueroses99 Sat 11-Mar-17 08:46:54

Most scented candles give me migraines so I steer clear. Buying a gift in a Yankee Candles shop for 10 mins meant I needed to lie down for the rest of the afternoon...

KoalaDownUnder Sat 11-Mar-17 08:48:19

I bloody love them. Only really naice ones, mind. I'm currently burning a coconut & lime one, and my whole house smells like a tropical paradise 🤗

(Kennington - not too worried about air pollution. Pretty sure that was a greater risk when I lived in London and blew black snot out of my nose every day.)

Champers4Pampers Sat 11-Mar-17 08:48:33

I think the OP means she doesn't have time for them because with small children in the house you need to have eyes in the back of your head when candles are lit. (Saying that I just wait till they're in bed).

I like a scented candles depending on the smell. It's plug in & spray type scents that I can't stand. They give me headaches.

Wolpertinger Sat 11-Mar-17 08:55:04

Yankee Candle is instant reach for the inhaler and the sumatriptan.

Nice confused

Agree it's the 'no thought present for women' aspect that's really annoying.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 11-Mar-17 08:56:43

I've never smelled a Yankee Candle. But the packaging is tacky, so I wouldn't buy one based on that alone.

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 11-Mar-17 09:00:47

I agree with OP. My opinion is why spend money on poncey candles when you can open a window to make a room smell nice/ get rid of pongs.

Ifailed Sat 11-Mar-17 09:01:18

I take "not have time for" as a way of showing OPs disdain.

elephantoverthehill Sat 11-Mar-17 09:01:19

I would much prefer a nice bunch of flowers in a room. Mind you we could return to the 80s pot pourri days, and unsuspecting visitors grabbing a handful thinking they were nibbles wink.

Starlighter Sat 11-Mar-17 09:21:02

Pot Pourri!! I forgot about that! My mum used to have that stuff everywhere. grin

I have no really high shelves so I wouldn't risk burning candles with the kids around and I'd worry about forgetting about them at night.

Some of them have really sickly, headache-inducing smells too.

I have a cupboard full of them! I'd be ok in a power cut, I guess... wink

PeterVincentVampireKiller Sat 11-Mar-17 09:24:56

KoalaDownUnder what brand is your coconut and lime one? I love anything tropical smile

honeylulu Sat 11-Mar-17 09:26:01

I don't hate them but I get given far too many and it rarely occurs to me to light them except sometimes at Christmas. When I Marie Kondo-ed my bedroom and living room I was shocked by how many candles and vases I had. They are the sort of presents people give you when they can't think of anything else.

Mungobungo Sat 11-Mar-17 09:31:47

I really don't like them either and don't get the Yankee candle craze.
I was bought an imperial candle for Christmas once and although it's a nice smell, it's still too overpowering and I burned it enough to get the jewellery out then haven't touched it since.

Also, why are they so bloody expensive!?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now