Talk

Advanced search

£3.6bn to be spent in 3 years

(7 Posts)
AutumnBlossom Fri 10-Mar-17 23:05:58

On these assessments where people declared by their doctor to be unfit to work, are then tested by private firm.

I need to do some further investigating into figures, but that's likely to be near the bill for just trusting the *trained GP's opinion -*that their patient is too ill.

I do NOT want this to be a bashing of people on benefits thread.

If a GP who knows the patient says they are unfit to work, do you consider £3.6bn in 3 years to be a waste?

NapQueen Fri 10-Mar-17 23:09:39

How much is the total bill for benefits for those who cant work over a 3 year period? Bet its a damn sight more thab that! Speculate to accumulate Id say.

Moanyoldcow Fri 10-Mar-17 23:31:58

Yes - I do. I have no personal experience of claiming anything other than child benefit but it seems to be vulnerable people are further humiliated by having these ridiculous capability assessments.

We don't seem to understand as a country that some people need more help than others. I'd pay more tax voluntarily because I can afford it to ensure people who needed support got it.

AndKnowItsSeven Fri 10-Mar-17 23:44:36

NapQueen the figure you are looking for is the amount paid to people fraudulently claiming disability benefits. I don't know the £'S but it's 0.7 %.

NapQueen Fri 10-Mar-17 23:51:30

£12.57b per year. Roughly £36b for the three years. So £252m fraudulantly paid then over 3 years. So itll balance in 14 years time.

Does seem disproportionally large.

HerRoyalNotness Sat 11-Mar-17 00:01:45

I find that figure high. How many people will hey be assessing in that period?

AndKnowItsSeven Sat 11-Mar-17 00:23:49

So it's not exactly value for money is it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now