Talk

Advanced search

Friend cancelling

(40 Posts)
PixiePlunge Fri 10-Mar-17 19:05:18

My friend and I have a spa day booked (yes I know how they are viewed on here but we both wanted to go grin). This has been booked for 7 months.

She then texts me today to say she's now unable to make it as she's decided to go on holiday.

I've paid for the whole thing so whether she'll pay me back I'm not sure.

The fact is, she didn't even apologise when cancelling. Aibu to think this is rude and inconsiderate?

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Mar-17 19:06:40

Yanbu, of course you're not, that's awful.

Trills Fri 10-Mar-17 19:07:07

She hasn't even apologised? shock

Trills Fri 10-Mar-17 19:07:35

Even if she did say she'd pay for her share, you won't necessarily enjoy it the same on your own.

MarklahMarklah Fri 10-Mar-17 19:07:47

Yes, very rude. But I'll probably get told I'm in the wrong for saying that.
I have a friend who has done similar with a holiday. Thankfully I'd only paid the deposit and I got that money back, but she didn't apologise, nor did she offer any money. I don't see her much any more.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Mar-17 19:07:57

Have you texted her back with a 'wft? I've paid x for you, and booked a day off work.'

MummyMuppet2x2 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:09:01

YANBU How rude!
She had so many ways she could have dealt with this, she chose the bluntest confused

treaclesoda Fri 10-Mar-17 19:09:46

I think it's staggeringly rude.

But you're probably going to get loads of people saying that it's fine, and that some people find it hard to commit to plans because they are nervous and that you shouldn't judge.

Sorry that your friend turned out to not be a friend after all.

PixiePlunge Fri 10-Mar-17 19:10:05

Yes I said that you could have at least apologised and she just texts back -

I am sorry.

hmm who knows how sincere it was.

Hedgehogparty Fri 10-Mar-17 19:11:35

Texting to tell you that was rude in the first place, she should have spoken to you properly.
No apology offered?
I'd be re evaluating this friendship.......

Tantrictantrum Fri 10-Mar-17 19:11:39

Say ok no problem. Can you send me your share? If she says no say well how are you paying to go away?

JaneEyre70 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:13:38

Find another friend to take and don't pay out for her again in advance. Lesson learned. She's very rude not to offer to pay for it.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Mar-17 19:13:43

what are you going to do? Can another friend take her place? Can you get a refund? If she knows you've paid for it, I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned that.

PixiePlunge Fri 10-Mar-17 19:18:47

I won't get a refund as I bought it through wowcher ... I'm not sure if I could take someone else. I had to email the spa with both our names.

Rollonbedtime7pm Fri 10-Mar-17 19:19:51

Definitely ask her for the money! How cheeky is that?!

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Mar-17 19:21:22

Text her 'as you know, I've paid x for you and it's non refundable. Can you transfer the money you owe?'

ImperialBlether Fri 10-Mar-17 19:22:21

You could take someone else - they won't care that it's a different person. She should pay her share now, though - she doesn't sound a very good friend.

ChuckDaffodils Fri 10-Mar-17 19:24:24

Can someone else just pretend they are her? They aren't going to check passports at the door surely?

PixiePlunge Fri 10-Mar-17 19:26:59

Can someone else just pretend they are her? They aren't going to check passports at the door surely?

No I don't think that but I think they sometimes ask for a debit card to open a tab for each person when you have a drink etc

topcat2014 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:34:42

'friend' sounds a bit like bubbles de vere to me - can you find someone else to go with and get the friend to refund you

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 10-Mar-17 19:36:00

Just ask her for the money Pixie.

IamFriedSpam Fri 10-Mar-17 19:38:00

YANBU. There are always people that come on to say "she doesn't have to go to a spa with you" but I think it's incredibly rude and inconsiderate.

Hedgehogparty Fri 10-Mar-17 19:39:30

Yes - as it sounds like since the tickets are non transferable, she needs to pay up.
Do you think she will?

Northend77 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:39:43

I'll go!!!

Loopytiles Fri 10-Mar-17 19:39:57

Never a good plan to pay upfront for other people, sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now