Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have my flat smelling like burnt popcorn and vinegar during an inspection?

(21 Posts)
nosyupnorth Fri 10-Mar-17 15:11:52

My landlord has just informed me that my quarterly flat inspection will be carried out on Wednesday. However, I badly burned some popcorn last weekend leading to a horrible burnt popcorn smell coming from my microwave, in order to deal with that I cleaned the microwave with first dishsoap and then white vinegar which had reduced the popcorn smell to tolerable levels but not removed it - and added the aroma of vinegar.

The problem is strictly with the microwave, which was my own addition and not part of the tenancy, however it can be smelled in the kitchen and living area (open plan) and is quite obvious when you enter the room.

AIBU to except my landlord to overlook this situation, or will it count against me during the inspection?

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 15:15:07

Blimey how bad is the smell and why is it lingering so long?! I don't think it's anything to worry about but if it's stressing you out, can you hide the microwave somewhere?! Like your car, or someone else's house (who doesn't have a good sense of smell?!)

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 15:16:25

Is your microwave going to be usable again? If the smell hasn't gone yet is it ever going to go?

myoriginal3 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:22:08

Incense. Works miracles at eliminating odours. You get it in pound shops.

GloGirl Fri 10-Mar-17 15:24:45

Buy some bicarbonate of soda, and pour it into a wide shallow bowl or plate. Leave in microwave for a few days. Coffee also works if you wanted to try a small plate full whilst you get bicarb soda.

AlpacaPicnic Fri 10-Mar-17 15:25:25

Try boiling a lemon in some water in the microwave... I think that is supposed to eliminate smells...?

DurhamDurham Fri 10-Mar-17 15:27:11

Open all your windows, if only for half an hour as that'll really make a difference. Better to disperse the smell rather than just masking it with fresheners etc.

I don't see how it could be held against you, there isn't any actual damage.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Fri 10-Mar-17 15:30:13

Is your microwave really suitable for use after burnt popcorn gate??

I assume you've been airing the property each day windows open for a few hours? Try microwaving half a lemon in a little dish of water my Mum swears by that for smells.

If they say about the smell just say you burnt some food, we've all done it haven't we so I can't see it being a problem it wouldn't be for me as a landlady anyway

thetemptationofchocolate Fri 10-Mar-17 15:39:10

Cat litter is quite good at absorbing strong smells. If you could get hold of a cup of it (clean, obviously smile ) it might just help a bit.

PebbleInTheMoonlight Fri 10-Mar-17 15:39:12

I'm another vote for leaving a dish of bicarb in the microwave for a couple of days (obviously not when using it) or boiling sliced lemons in water in the microwave itself. Both are pretty amazing at neutralising smells.

JaneEyre70 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:39:25

Cut a lemon in half and boil it in there....works miracles. Failing that, leave a dish of bicarb in there and it will absorb the odour. I'd make sure you've cleaned the vents out on the back and side as that's possibly where the smell is coming from - or bin it!!

littlefrog3 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:40:24

Can you not put off the inspection for a week?

MurielsBottom Fri 10-Mar-17 15:41:22

Just wanted to add that after burning some popcorn in our microwave it ended up going to the tip. It was just not salvageable in any way. We tried for weeks to clean and get rid of the smell but it was impossible.

Sorry. Can you ditch/replace the microwave?

Vagabond Fri 10-Mar-17 15:43:12

My friend boiled up some duck bones one day to make stock (posh, innit). Forgot about it and went to the pub. Came home to find his flat stinking to high heaven - the bones had melted down to a sludge and his whole flat had to be refurbished. Wallpaper, sofas, carpets - all had to be replaced.....even all his clothes had to be washed. Oh, and he stank too!

Just thought that would cheer you up!

I love popcorn but most people burn it. My husband is terrible at burning popcorn and wonders why I don't munch away on it. Poison chalice.

Kikikaakaa Fri 10-Mar-17 15:50:25

I threw my microwave out after doing this, I couldn't keep it any more with the smell

nosyupnorth Fri 10-Mar-17 15:52:26

I will grab some lemons and bicarb when I'm at the shops later, and get it turned about so i can check out the state of the vents

I can't afford to chuck or replace it right now - the smell isn't that bad now i've cleaned it and I can live with, it's just obviously different to the rest of the flat and noticable upon entry

vagabond yikes i'm glad i'm not in that mess - that does make me feel a lot better my comparison. i will definitely not be attempting to make stock from scratch anytime soon.

Cheby Fri 10-Mar-17 15:53:26

Put microwave in the car temporarily. Job done.

EssentialHummus Fri 10-Mar-17 16:02:36

Buy some bicarbonate of soda, and pour it into a wide shallow bowl or plate. Leave in microwave for a few days. Coffee also works if you wanted to try a small plate full whilst you get bicarb soda.

Yup. And lots of open windows.

DeepfriedPizza Fri 10-Mar-17 16:07:07

Put Mackerel in the microwave, then the flat will smell like fish instead of popcorn.

Job done

SusannahL Fri 10-Mar-17 16:19:19

Honestly op I think it is time to get a new microwave.
They really aren't expensive at all. I saw some in my Sainsbury's earlier this week, and they start at about £45.

alpacawhacker Fri 10-Mar-17 16:26:14

Oh god, my dp once badly burned some popcorn in a microwave. I will never forget the choking smoke, or the smell!!

Surely if you just explained to your landlord what happened? Or am I being naive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now