Talk

Advanced search

People posting picture of their ill children

(263 Posts)
Notsowifeymaterial Fri 10-Mar-17 13:28:36

So normally when I'm browsing on fb and see someone's posted a picture of their child on the sofa or in bed captioned aw my poorly baby 😒 I usually ignore it or if it's a friend I'll comment hope they feel better soon etc.
But yesterday someone on my friends list posted a picture of their child actually on a stretcher in the back of an ambulance captioned poor baby off to hospital. He's struggling to breathe.
I was imaging the scenario as this..
Paramedic - right ok we need to get this child to the hospital right now. Mum are you ready?
Mum - hang on can you just step back a sec whilst I take a photo.
Paramedic - umm.....
Mum - ok I'll just take one more so I can see which is best, ok got it. Hmm should I apply a filter. Which one will get me more likes do you think? shows paramedic the photos
Paramedic - um I'm sorry miss but we do really need to get to the hospital?
Mum - right of course. Let's go. Does the ambulance have wifi so I can post it on Facebook?
paramedic internally facepalms
BTW the child ended up being fine and is now home.
Aibu to think that that's just inappropriate for a mother to do?

TheOnlyLivingToyInNewYork Fri 10-Mar-17 13:30:06

Rather overactive, that imagination, isn't it?

Sirzy Fri 10-Mar-17 13:31:11

Or they were travelling, all was stable and she took a quick picture.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 10-Mar-17 13:32:19

YANBU, I'm not sure I could walk away from that post without making a comment...

Dontactlikeyouknowme Fri 10-Mar-17 13:33:25

It takes seconds to take a photo

zzzzz Fri 10-Mar-17 13:34:48

A picture says it all really. Perhaps it was all she had time for and she was hoping for offers of help?

TheStoic Fri 10-Mar-17 13:35:11

Must admit, posting on FB would not be on my mind if my kid was in an ambulance.

Perhaps they use FB for emotional support. Some people genuinely need the feedback they get from social media.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Fri 10-Mar-17 13:35:14

I don't know why people do it, I've seen people upload poorly children in hospital beds before now and I just think why would you

leghoul Fri 10-Mar-17 13:35:43

I think you're being judgemental and unpleasant. I don't have facebook but I think a picture can be a way to communicate what's going on to people. It's very distressing to see your child so unwell and I think it's inappropriate to judge unless you're that very same person with the same contacts to send photo to etc. Also lots of people just take lots of pictures.

liz70 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:36:00

I got airlifted to hospital off a cliff in an RN search and rescue chopper once.

My mum posed for a photo with all those nice young crewmen, while I was strapped and morphined up to my eyeballs, and being stretchered into A and E. hmm

grin

leghoul Fri 10-Mar-17 13:36:40

Posting a picture of an unwell child makes more sense than posting one of your breakfast or thighs or Fitbit.

IamFriedSpam Fri 10-Mar-17 13:36:42

On the one hand if people want support I don't object to them asking for it on the other hand (and maybe I'm being grouchy) it does annoy me slightly that people feel the need to broadcast every second of their life. I have a member of my DH's family that's like this. WE can never just enjoy the moment, we all have to stop in the middle of having fun and all get rearranged for a photo, to go on Facebook.

Graceful1 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:36:54

Some people have a distorted sense of reality nowadays as to what is acceptable, It never ceases to amaze me how they canot get through a day without posting their whole lives on FB etc. Where do they find the time.

Back to OP though maybe they just like drama and want everyone to know about the drama.

WhatHaveIFound Fri 10-Mar-17 13:36:55

YANBU. I don't post anything medical about myself or my children on social media. I will however write get well wishes to others who do.

WorraLiberty Fri 10-Mar-17 13:37:06

YANBU

I think it's awful really, the way some parents exploit their children with photos like this, and then put them on the internet.

For what?

So the parent can get some fuss/sympathy.

I'm really glad I didn't grow up in a social media/mobile phone era.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:37:16

YANBU I get get why people do it

My baby dd had to go to hospital by ambulance as she couldn't breathe just before Christmas and the last thing on my mind was "oh must take a pic and upload it to social media" My baby was poorly and I couldn't give a frig for what's happening on social media

MadisonAvenue Fri 10-Mar-17 13:37:31

I had a Facebook friend who frequently posted pics of her kids when ill. I think she had six kids so often had one who was sick or had a sports injury and just about weekly there'd be a picture of one of them looking sorry for themselves at the doctors or in A&E (or the ER as she's in the US).
I found it very odd, and felt uncomfortable.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 10-Mar-17 13:38:43

Yanbu. Wtf!

Even if it only took a nano second to take the photo. Just wtf!

alltogethernow123 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:39:02

dontact

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Yeah because that's the point of the thread.

It's just sad attention seeking OP. Parent needs their head looked at

ElspethFlashman Fri 10-Mar-17 13:39:20

My BILs partner, ugh.

Constantly sharing those sickly sweet "What Is a Mom?" posts and "What kind of Mom are you?" And the answer is always that she's basically the greatest mum in the history of the universe.

In reality she's the type of Mum who posts about 12 pics (in an album!!!) Of her little child covered in chickenpox looking utterly miserable.

But it works, cos she got about 20 comments underneath going"poor baba! And poor Mum too!" And she answered every single one along the lines of "Soooo tired! But the things you do for your kids no matter what!! I just wish my Mum was still alive to support me when times get tough!! Miss her so much!!!"

angry

Oh and in amongst the comments were suggestions of Calpol etc and she thinks it entirely appropriate to tell the world that they tried suppositories but the poor mite became hysterical and started kicking and punching Mummy!!!!

angryangryangry

wheretoyougonow Fri 10-Mar-17 13:39:39

It's pure attention seeking and I hate it. I've been in emergency situations with my children and this does not even enter my mind! Thankfully I don't have many people like that on my news feed anymore.

Sirzy Fri 10-Mar-17 13:40:49

Ds did his first proper smile in hospital while still on oxygen. I posted the photo on Facebook - it was a lovely photo of him and a good way of showing how he was improving from 48 hours previously where it was very touch and go. I have other photos from when he was at his illest but I have chosen not to share them - I wouldn't judge others in similar situations who do though.

He has spent a lot of the last 7 years in and out of hospital and so the occasional picture has been posted of him while in. It's a part of his life!

zzzzz Fri 10-Mar-17 13:40:55

I honestly think they are looking for babysitters for their other children or help with school runs. What other point would there be?

Dontactlikeyouknowme Fri 10-Mar-17 13:41:32

All FB is attention seeking .That's what it's for.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Fri 10-Mar-17 13:41:46

YANBU - it's wildly inappropriate but then I don't like any of the pics of friends' sick children on social media. Poor child lying sick on the sofa and gets a camera shoved in their face and their pic splattered all over Fb. I just don't get it. Your post did make me giggle though. Hope the child was ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now