Advanced search

To just go to bed and rest or should I go to the doctor?

(14 Posts)
Dixiestamp Fri 10-Mar-17 10:36:26

I think I have shingles again. I have severe nerve pain across my head made worse when I touch the blister on my forehead (milky white and hasn't scabbed over). I already take gabapentin (in large proportions!) for nerve pain in other areas and I'm not working today (well, I have lots of work to actually DO but it can wait). Can't get an answer at doctor's-usual wait for an appointment is 2 weeks and they don't do 'turn up' emergency ones. They do do emergency 5 min appointments if you can snag one early enough but I've give up ringing. Is there any point in being seen by a doctor for shingles? Can I just stay in until I feel better or do I need anything (like anti viral?). Sorry that was long winded. PS have flipping awful headache but have ample pain meds here.

CMOTDibbler Fri 10-Mar-17 10:39:35

If you get anti virals today, then the shingles shouldn't be too bad, so ring up and get seen

lougle Fri 10-Mar-17 10:40:40

You need to be seen. Can you go to the surgery and get booked in at reception?

highinthesky Fri 10-Mar-17 10:43:18

I think you at least need to have a TC with your GP. Explain to the receptionist that it's shingles hence the urgency. Otherwise call 111 and they will ensure you get medical attention.

I'm a bit concerned about the recurrence. Are you immunocompromised?

highinthesky Fri 10-Mar-17 10:44:21

Btw this should not stop you from taking analgesia.

Please tell me you are UK based?

Dixiestamp Fri 10-Mar-17 10:45:14

I had it twice last year so I think my immune system must be a bit rubbish. I don't live far away so I think I'll probably pop down now if I can't get an answer soon. Thanks for the replies.

Hadalifeonce Fri 10-Mar-17 10:45:23

I would call the surgery and explain that you think you may have shingles; at our surgery there would be a call back by a doctor or nurse to discuss, where an emergency appointment would be arranged, or a prescription written. I hope you feel better soon.

Dixiestamp Fri 10-Mar-17 10:45:31

Ps, yes, am UK.

Hopefullyoneday1 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:45:47

Yes you must see a doctor ASAP. Not wishing to scare you but my mum had shingles on her head which spread to her eye. She is now blind in that eye

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 10-Mar-17 10:46:48

You need antivirals. Particularly important if shingles on the face/forehead to avoid the eye being affected.

Keep ringing until you get through and ask for an emergency appointment.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dixiestamp Fri 10-Mar-17 10:47:24

I've kept trying and have finally got through- they will see me later today!!

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 10-Mar-17 11:14:50

Excellent! Well done for persisting.

Lazyafternoon Fri 10-Mar-17 11:26:21

Oh glad to see they're seeing you!

I was going to suggest 111! In my area they are brilliant at offering out if hours/ emergency same day appointments if can't get one of your own GP ones but really need to see a doctor and not life threatening enough for A&E!

Dixiestamp Fri 10-Mar-17 12:32:18

Thanks for the advice everyone- you were right! They have given me anti-vitals. Will rest up today (and occupy myself with a bit of lazy MN reading!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: