Talk

Advanced search

To ask about Winter Fuel Payment for care home resident

(8 Posts)
Cheadle Thu 09-Mar-17 23:12:41

I rang the DWP yesterday to inform them aunt had moved into a care home and to update their records to change her address for Attendance Allowance and State Pension.

I then asked whether she would still qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment. I explained she was self-funding at the care home and was told 'no, she won't be entitled to that anymore'.

Is that correct? I accepted what they told me on the phone at the time but thinking about it now I'm not so sure they have given me the correct information.

Does anybody have any information about this please?

caroldecker Thu 09-Mar-17 23:19:59

She probably won't - she is not paying extra in winter for heating in a care home.

Becca19962014 Thu 09-Mar-17 23:21:23

Living in a care home means she no longer qualifies.

Becca19962014 Thu 09-Mar-17 23:22:20

Whether she's self funding is irrelevant, the eligibility test says those living in care homes are excluded.

pinkdelight Thu 09-Mar-17 23:28:27

The payment is so that a person won't be cold in their home. She won't be cold in the care home, so the payment isn't needed. The fact that lots of people who don't need it use the money for other things doesn't mean it's not meant for something specific.

Cheadle Thu 09-Mar-17 23:35:51

Thanks everyone.

QueenBodicea Thu 09-Mar-17 23:45:49

My late DM was self funding in a care home and received the winter fuel payment. It was not the full amount on the grounds that she was living in a communal setting but the self funders are entitled to the payment because the fees they pay contribute to the heating bills. She passed away in 2015 but i dont think the system has changed.

Becca19962014 Fri 10-Mar-17 00:23:02

It changed September 2016 queenbodicea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now