Talk

Advanced search

To send my DD to school

(6 Posts)
wonderingagain21 Thu 09-Mar-17 21:40:20

My DD(14) had a serious but unexplained skin reaction & was prescribed 40mg of prednisone daily for 3 days. Is there any reason to keep her at home if she's well enough to get up etc.

MsPavlichenko Thu 09-Mar-17 22:01:48

I think at age 14 I'd be letting her decide this one, albeit that she can work/keep up at home.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 09-Mar-17 22:09:41

It's up to her really, with your guidance.

If she's not sleeping due to her skin, I'd keep her off. I had an allergic reaction once and my legs swelled and itched like mad and I hardly slept for the pain and itching even with them propped up on pillows, slathering on calamine lotion every half hour or so for some tiny relief.

I'd also be sensitive to her teenage vanity if her reaction is embarrassing for her (on her face for example) as covering it with concealer etc is unlikely to help matters.

emma6776 Thu 09-Mar-17 22:11:16

I wouldn't- I had a similar thing a few years ago and wanted to crawl out my skin- it was AWFUL. Not to mention the way it looks - at 14 I would have been too embarrassed to go to school.

wonderingagain21 Thu 09-Mar-17 22:14:25

DD is quite keen to go but only because it's a high pressure school and she's worried about getting behind. I wasn't sure if the steroids would affect her ability to cope (other than by reducing the reaction).

PlayOnWurtz Thu 09-Mar-17 22:17:02

Steroids can affect your sleep (I can't sleep on them at all dc on the other hand is unaffected by them!) So if they do I'd keep her off otherwise it's one day to the weekend let her decide tomorrow and then rest over the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now