Talk

Advanced search

to ask for help writing a speech?

(16 Posts)
Screamifuwant2gofaster Thu 09-Mar-17 20:43:52

Tomorrow I've got to give a 5 mins speech at a formal 'old boys type'dinner. It's the annual meal for a club (don't want to say what club, it'd be outing). There will be about 60 guests and several speeches. I've been asked just to thank the guests. Most of the guests are aged 75+. Few under 60. I'm guessing I'm supposed to say 'thanks for comin'g in a long drawn out way and include some sort of funny story?! I've got zero experience in this sort of thing.

Know this isn't a very interesting AIBU but would really appreciate any ideas... I'm dreading it! Posting here for traffic. Please help!

Scribblegirl Thu 09-Mar-17 20:44:35

Ok. Why have you been asked to speak? smile

Etymology23 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:46:07

Any stories from when you were there? Drive making? Sports? People not doing any work and now being jolly successful?

Etymology23 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:46:26

Drive making = drinking...

ThreeFish Thu 09-Mar-17 20:46:53

Why would you be thanking the guests specifically? Do you mean you have to thank the other speakers on behalf of your club?

hellinabreadbasket Thu 09-Mar-17 20:51:42

Maybe start with a "thanks for coming - I know I have dragged you away from insert joke based on the interest of club then I know some of you have been members since back when - then insert story from that tine then thanks for coming again etc

Trifleorbust Thu 09-Mar-17 20:57:00

Without knowing what sort of club or why you have been invited to speak...

Screamifuwant2gofaster Thu 09-Mar-17 21:00:02

That's a very good question. smile Probably because I'm 40+ years younger than most members and can stand without a frame. Im not joking. I became a member some months ago and have quickly been given lots of responsibilities. They would really like me to run the club lol. I joined out of curiosity really. I'm leaving the club in a few weeks. The club has been running for over a hundred years. It's very traditional. I pretty much hate everything about it except the activity it's linked to. Sorry, realise I'm not giving you much to go on!

Trifleorbust Thu 09-Mar-17 21:01:53

No...

Screamifuwant2gofaster Thu 09-Mar-17 21:06:04

Threefish- No, I've definitely been told to thank the guests for attending. The other speakers will be thanked by other people.
Basically, most of the members aren't really that interested in the club's main activity anymore...they are too old/ disabled to do it. They attend because they've always done it. I only see the members on the club night. Most of the members have been attending for over 50 years.

Scribblegirl Thu 09-Mar-17 21:22:41

I'm thinking the history of the club would be good to use. Past glories and all, older types will love it. Any stories from the past? Maybe something on how it's lovely that people are breathing g fresh life into the activity. Basically you want to have a bit of a narrative that draws on the past, thanks speaker for contributions and then loops back to how awesome it is that people still love whatever the <thing> is.

If you want to pm the activity go for it - having a quiet night and do comms so happy to help. smile

AstrantiaMajor Thu 09-Mar-17 21:35:26

Ladies and Gentlemen, I feel very privileged to have been asked to give a short speech on behalf of XXXX club. The frendship and kindness shown to me since I joined has made me feel that I have been a member much longer than xxxxx months.There is only one reason why the club has such a long and venerable history. That is the loyalty and dedications of Members like yourselves who support us throughout the year. On behalf of our committee I would like to thank you all for joining us at our Dinner tonight.

I am sure you can improve greatly

AstrantiaMajor Thu 09-Mar-17 21:36:10

ThAt last bit is not part of the speech even though it may be true.

Screamifuwant2gofaster Thu 09-Mar-17 22:22:24

Wow....thank you all so much.

Astra- last bit made me lol. The tone of that speech is perfect. Thanks all so much.

Pembilton Thu 09-Mar-17 22:22:56

AstrantiaMajor nothing to add but hahaha grin

ThreeFish Thu 09-Mar-17 22:41:01

Astra' suggestion is good. If the guests are all getting on a bit, would they appreciate a mention of members who have passed on this year, in a loss to the club sort of way? Of course, if you're newish you don't want to risk inadvertently not mentioning wee Jimmy who won x trophy for club in 1940.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: