Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to go to cinema with baby?

(43 Posts)
trufflehumper Thu 09-Mar-17 19:34:08

Really would like to see Beauty and the Beast in the cinema. WIBU to pick a daytime showing (when its most empty) and go with my EBF DD (3months) ???

harridan50 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:36:28

Go to a parent and baby session. Very common now at many cinemas

Justwantcookies Thu 09-Mar-17 19:36:29

I'd say it's fine. As long as you are prepared to leave if your dd starts crying. Just sit near an exit. She might sleep all the way through if you're lucky.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 09-Mar-17 19:39:25

The problem is people don't leave when the baby starts crying. They spend minimum of five mins trying to shush the baby. Spoils the film for others. Imho if you can't find a special baby screening you either get a babysitter or wait for the DVD.

StarlitTrees Thu 09-Mar-17 19:40:22

A lot have parent and baby sessions.
My local showcase cinema has them every thurs at 10 and the last thurs this month is beauty and the beast! grin
These sessions have slightly lower volume, the lights are a little brighter and you can get up if you need to. And the best part- it only costs a fiver!

trufflehumper Thu 09-Mar-17 19:45:55

Thank you for the advice harridan and starlit - will see if my local cinema has a parent and baby session. possum her crying was my main worry - I would leave immediately but then id have missed the film sad. As she is not reliably taking a bottle as yet so unfair to ask anyone to babysit. But that's another thread!

Trifleorbust Thu 09-Mar-17 19:47:05

I wouldn't. She would be scared, I would be tense and she would cry at least 30% of the time!

trufflehumper Thu 09-Mar-17 19:49:25

trifle good point re: being scared. From my recollection (havent been to the cinema for a loooongggg time) it is pretty loud. Perhaps id do better to wait.

NameChange30 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:49:42

Go to a parent & baby session. If there's a Picturehouse near you, they're called "Big Scream". At Cineworld they're called Cinebabies. At Odeon they're called Newbies.

GrumpyInsomniac Thu 09-Mar-17 19:49:55

I used to take my son to parent and baby screenings. Lights are on low, volume turned down a bit to be less offensive to small ears, and a chance to feel like an adult on days when I felt completely baby-brained. It was bliss. There's bound to be a cinema near you that offers them.

NameChange30 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:50:27

Cross post. At parent and baby sessions they reduce the sound.

Ilovewillow Thu 09-Mar-17 19:51:15

I took my four month old son because my then 5 yr old was desperate to see Frozen (he's not permanently traumatised), he slept and fed through the entire film. As long as you don't disturb others go for it.

TheMasterNotMargarita Thu 09-Mar-17 19:53:33

I did it with DS at 3 months but it was a kids showing Secret Life of Pets. My older child had wanted to go.
He took it all in his stride we sat a bit away from the speakers although it was still loud. He looked at the screen for all of 2 minutes and then fed/slept.
As long as you don't spoil it for anyone else it's fine. It's very unlikely to be busy during the day.
I probably wouldn't do it now he's 6 months and a bit louder and more distracted.

SerialReJoiner Thu 09-Mar-17 19:53:34

My DS slept through all of the Lego batman movie. He was 7 weeks old.

trufflehumper Thu 09-Mar-17 19:56:22

grin namechange thanks for the links - so helpful. If sound is low DD might sleep through a morning showing. There may be hope yet!! wink

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 09-Mar-17 19:56:30

I took my then 4 month old so my then nearly 4 year old could see the Shaun the Sheep movie.
Matinee performance on a school day and we booked seats where there was extra room for the car seat.
Probably one of his longest naps, I just jiggled him a bit now and then and he was fine.
I would have taken him out if needed.

Underthemoonlight Thu 09-Mar-17 19:56:53

I have a baby and I was be annoyed if I took dd as a treat to the cinema ( not cheap) it's not something we do very often and if there's a crying baby it spoils it. I would just arranged a sitter for DS. People don't go straight out and spend time fussing burping etc. If there's a baby friendly session go to the one but it's totally unfair on other patrons paying.

trufflehumper Thu 09-Mar-17 19:58:09

serial master willow around the 2-5 month mark seems to be the best age for this then.

Bellaposy Thu 09-Mar-17 19:58:27

We go to a mother and baby showing every week and it's brilliant but I wouldn't go to a regular showing.

NameChange30 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:00:09

You're welcome, hope there's a screening near you!

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with someone bringing a baby to a regular showing, if the baby didn't cry no one would notice, and if the baby did cry they could always leave (it would only be annoying if they didn't leave!)

muddypuddled Thu 09-Mar-17 20:00:23

I've taken both of my babies to mum and baby showings. They usually lasted 5-10 minutes into the film and then I'd feed them and they'd sleep for the rest of the film. Sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks before the new films are shown at these sessions though.

Coulddowithanap Thu 09-Mar-17 20:01:49

I took Ds when he was only a few weeks (had to go as I was helping my sister with her dd's birthday)

I made sure we sat near the door in case he cried but he was fine and slept and fed all the way through.

I think as long as you are prepared to leave if baby starts crying then yanbu to go.

trufflehumper Thu 09-Mar-17 20:01:53

moonlight I really wouldn't want to annoy anyone or ruin their experience but I presume that at a parent and child showing a short burst of crying from a baby and a little jiggling to settle them is tolerated???

Underthemoonlight Thu 09-Mar-17 20:06:22

I meant at a normal showing not a baby friendly showing. I wouldn't attend that type of showing

nursebickypegs Thu 09-Mar-17 20:07:26

My local odeon are great; I'm pregnant and we are regular customers with our limitless card. I asked about mother and baby screenings for Spider-Man homecoming...they told me that if I call beforehand, they will book me in a quiet screening so Bub can come along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now