Talk

Advanced search

to think that apprenticeship funding is a bit ageist?

(9 Posts)
chipauchoc Thu 09-Mar-17 14:29:00

I want to return to work after a family career break. Now DC's are older I've decided now is a good time to re-train, and I'd love to train as a Pharmacy Technician. There are several apprenticeships available in my area however they won't accept my application as I'm over 25. The government will only fund apprenticeships for under 25s. I have asked if I can apply if I pay for college fees but they still won't accept my application.

Do I need to ring around all the pharmacies in my area asking if they'd take me on as a trainee and then organise my own college course alongside the work placement? Or is there an easier way?

Mylittlestsunshine Thu 09-Mar-17 14:33:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chipauchoc Thu 09-Mar-17 14:40:56

Thanks Mylittlestsunshine. I have seen that page before, it's great for telling you how you can still do an apprenticeship if you pay for it yourself but doesn't tell you how to go about finding one. Or am I missing something?

titchy Thu 09-Mar-17 14:44:25

The government DO fund apprentices who are over 25, so no they're not ageist. However there is extra funding for younger people which is ruling you out unfortunately.

OrangeJulius Thu 09-Mar-17 14:55:08

I was looking in a different field (farming), but yes, it became clear to me that apprenticeships seemed to be aimed at teenagers/early 20s living at home with their parents. As a 28 year old, I couldn't get anywhere with them.

melj1213 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:48:40

It really is difficult if you're over 25. I am 27 and want to return to teaching (I trained overseas and my qualification isn't directly transferrable so I have to do further training here to top it up) but nobody will take me on as they either don't offer adult apprenticeships or don't want to deal with the extra admin that is involved in taking me on.

Also, one of my friend's teenage daughters wants to get a part time job to fit in with her college commitments but is struggling because all the usual places have taken on "Service apprentices" or "Admin apprentices" instead of waitresses or office assistants. It means they can pay less than they have to pay "proper" staff but then means they're constantly recruiting as the apprentices fulfil their requirement and leave, whereas someone older/who doesn't want to do an apprenticeship would stay longer because they want a regular part time job but can't get one because they're only offering the apprenticeship option.

Meepicheep Thu 09-Mar-17 15:59:32

This won't directly help the OP, but melj1213 my job is getting people into teaching. smile If you have an undergraduate (honours) degree and GCSE grade Cs in English language, mathematics (and for primary, science as well) or the equivalents (or if you're willing to work towards them) you can apply for the post-graduate training under UCAS. There are residency restrictions on who gets the bursaries (e.g. if you have access to public funds you can usually get the bursary), and sometimes my contacts take the salaried route into teaching to combat this, but there is a system in place to enter teaching. You will need some days in a school observing lessons first (so that you can compare your teaching experience with the UK system) - I suggest you ask for a day or two observing in classrooms from your local schools as a start. Have a look here: getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ and here at the courses: search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/2017_gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

I totally agree that the general apprenticeship schemes in this country are underfunded and need expanding. Lots of people have no idea what they want to do at 18 years old, and it seems daft that if you don't work it out by 25 you are effectively blocked (as the OP is) from changing career (unless, as in teaching, there is a bursary scheme attached, but teaching is very much the exception and then only for some subjects).

Good luck, OP - I hope you find something.

Railgunner1 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:10:37

i remember we had an apprenticeships office in our city. i walked in and asked how they could help me. they said sorry, we work with under 19's only. then i went to a supermarket to buy a can of beer. they asked me for an ID to prove that i'm over 18.

chipauchoc Thu 09-Mar-17 18:28:47

Just rang up the Chemist who were advertising the apprenticeship. Spoke with the pharmacist and explained the situation. He said for me to drop in my CV and he'll see what he can do for me grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: