Talk

Advanced search

Straightening Child's Hair

(158 Posts)
Stardust1901 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:27:42

What are your view on straightening a child's hair?
I've just seen on my FB someone I know, whose straightened her 3 year old's hair for play school.

It would never occur to me to straighten a child's hair! What do you think?

Funnyonion17 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:28:20

Maybe as a 1 off for a wedding or party, but not at 3!

WorraLiberty Thu 09-Mar-17 12:29:20

Is it likely to damage it?

If not, then I don't see how it's different to putting ringlets in her hair, which is something parents have done since the year dot.

Gottagetmoving Thu 09-Mar-17 12:30:10

I wouldn't think anything, like I don't about plaiting, braiding or curling, or putting in a pony tail etc

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Mar-17 12:30:19

3 is too young.

But I have been curling my daughter's (poker straight) hair for special occasions since age was about 7. I can't see a difference between this, and straightening curly hair.

Not at 3 years old though.

Dontgoogle1 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:31:19

When my eldest was little she had the most ridiculous fly away hair. I tried everything but it always looked a mess. So I straightened it and doing it once would help it for a good while so it wasn't every day.

With my other dc I have never needed to.

But it's only hair. It grows and gets cut off. I just can't get worked up over someone straightening their childs hair.

Bantanddec Thu 09-Mar-17 12:31:54

No way!! Straightening hair is damaging!

PeachPants Thu 09-Mar-17 12:31:57

I have straightened and curled my 4 yo DD's hair in the past, only as one-offs for special occasions but more as a fun thing for us to do together, like she's at the 'salon'! She will often ask me to do this if I am doing my own.

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 09-Mar-17 12:32:15

I wouldn't do it.
I do blow dry my almost 2yo's hair after its washed, otherwise she ends up looking like a cactus when it dries naturally blush

Leggit Thu 09-Mar-17 12:32:15

I think it's none of anyone's business. Seriously why do people take time out of their days to actual make a post on a forum about something so bloody unimportant hmm

HateSummer Thu 09-Mar-17 12:33:31

I straightened my dd's hair for parties when she was about 7. I did it twice and then noticed her hair went rough and unsilky and it wouldn't straighten properly again. She's 9 now and it's still rough and her hair is ruined. I would never straighten a child's hair again.
Straightening a 3 year olds hair is just plain stupid.

Believeitornot Thu 09-Mar-17 12:33:33

Nope. Wouldn't do it.

It sends out the wrong message at a young age. Better to introduce that sort of thing when they're much much older and can consider it themselves.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 09-Mar-17 12:33:48

Not really different from other brushing, styling, curling etc really - people have been making their girls look 'pretty' for hundreds of years now.

AlphaBites Thu 09-Mar-17 12:34:17

I wouldn't be bothered at all about that, if it's a one off for a show/wedding/special occasion then what's the problem ?

I was deemed a 'weirdo' for declining to put my DD in the ballet show as I saw the amount of makeup they put on them and thought 'No thanks.' It was in part the amount of makeup but also DD hates the idea of face paint, so makeup would have just been a battle and I'm not putting a 3 yr old for that for the sake of a show.

Believeitornot Thu 09-Mar-17 12:35:18

I will add. My dd has the most beautiful curly hair imaginable. It just requires a little bit more time to make it neater for a party.
If I straightened it for special occasions, she would no doubt conclude, quite logically, that curly hair was not nice enough for parties etc.

MrsDustyBusty Thu 09-Mar-17 12:35:42

I'd just worry about the potential for the plates to burn a little scalp or even catch on a little earlier, cheek or hand. Children that small would find it hard to remember to keep still long enough.

In general, I think some styling of a non permanent kind is fine if they're old enough to want it themselves as a treat but for a normal day when they're that young? I think that's more about the wishes of the ghd wielder than the child.

MrsDustyBusty Thu 09-Mar-17 12:36:23

Earlier = ear.

SprogletsMum Thu 09-Mar-17 12:36:28

I straighten my dd's hair sometimes. She's 5. I put heat protection stuff on it first and it's fine.
It's only hair it can be cut and it grows back.

Soubriquet Thu 09-Mar-17 12:37:28

I do my 3 year olds occasionally.

She likes having it done and it looks very nice too.

I don't do it every day or even every week but every now and then yes.

Why not?

MissRainbowBrite Thu 09-Mar-17 12:38:17

DD is 5 and I've done hers a couple of times but only for parties and I did it once when we were having photos done. I'd never dream of doing it regularly and I only do the top layer to sort out the flyaway bits.

wigglesrock Thu 09-Mar-17 12:38:45

It wouldn't bother me once in a while - neither does putting a child's hair up, plaiting it, trying something different. One of my kids at 3 had more hair all all the rest of us put together. I may have run the straighteners through it to see what it looked like. It's obviously had no lasting impression on either her or me.

Stardust1901 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:44:10

I don't have a problem with it, just surprised is all. I don't know any 3 who would sit still enough to go near them with straighteners! I'd be too afraid of the door or phone going and DD jumping up or turning her head!

BaldricksTrousers Thu 09-Mar-17 12:52:28

I straighten my 6 yo DD's hair when she has a weird kink in it or she has slept on it funny. Honestly wouldn't give it a second thought. Why should she go to school with bed head if it can be easily remedied?

Flumpernickel Thu 09-Mar-17 12:55:02

"I think it's none of anyone's business. Seriously why do people take time out of their days to actual make a post on a forum about something so bloody unimportant hmm"

Sorry, but the irony of this comment made me grinhmm

PeachPants Thu 09-Mar-17 12:56:03

May I also add, I have in more recent times, styled DD's hair with a bottle of Dr Pepper in it, in order to re-create the look of Poppy from Trolls grin so I may not be the best person to ask!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now