Talk

Advanced search

Pink and Blue/ "The Gender norm"

(23 Posts)
sassyggal Thu 09-Mar-17 11:34:01

Ive been searching lot on Mums net atm, I found quiet a few posts on there being a problem when boys playing with "girls toys" and not lot the other way around, why is this it doesn't seem far that this is happening that it some how make the boy less manly, I would love to here from you to get the opinions for the parent to help me create a movement to stop the pink and blue divide and get an insight in to what experiences that you have had from the public and even friends and families.

WorraLiberty Thu 09-Mar-17 11:37:59

Personally, no-one I know gives a shit.

Most folk on Mumsnet don't give a shit either, but sometimes their partners or inlaws do.

Some folk on Mumsnet swing the pendulum to the extreme, and claim they allow their sons to attend school on non uniform day, wearing a pink princess dress.

WorraLiberty Thu 09-Mar-17 11:38:39

Mean to add and apparently 'non of the other kids notice' and 'no-one takes the piss'.

ToastVacuum Thu 09-Mar-17 11:45:06

How would you go about creating your "movement"? Are you writing an article?

Thefitfatty Thu 09-Mar-17 11:46:27

My experience is that nobody cares....

Gwenci Thu 09-Mar-17 11:48:22

Nah, no one really cares IMO.

ollieplimsoles Thu 09-Mar-17 11:48:49

Journo....

Gwenci Thu 09-Mar-17 11:49:54

^ ^
Yup.

SquatBetty Thu 09-Mar-17 12:39:56

If that's a journo, I hope they use the spell check when writing their 'article' - absolutely appalling spelling, grammar and punctuation in their post.

Yes I know it's not the done thing to point this out ....

WorraLiberty Thu 09-Mar-17 12:41:07

Well no, it's a bit cuntish really.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 09-Mar-17 12:42:17

No-one actually cares. Does that answer your question?

Shallishanti Thu 09-Mar-17 12:44:04

this campaign already exists, OP

Gowgirl Thu 09-Mar-17 12:45:04

Don't care, more worried about them turning feral, and I'm probally too late for that....

TabascoToastie Thu 09-Mar-17 12:45:41

People should care. Enforced gender stereotypes are incredibly destructive.

FlyingElbows Thu 09-Mar-17 12:47:51

Ofgs intellect it up a bit, op and let's have a proper discussion about the reinforcement of gender stereotypes are potentially just as damaging to boys as girls. Let's talk about the pressures of social media on adolescent boys. Let's talk (inevitably) about the necessity to expand the accepted gender norms of "Man". Nobody other than total neanderthals gives a shit about "blue" and "pink". The topic is much juicier than that. Unless you're a tabloid journo when all I've suggested will be way too complex!! wink

Beachedwh4le Thu 09-Mar-17 12:52:35

Link us to the posts you've been reading and let's see what we think. 😂

user123346 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:46:07

Oh gawd, not this ridiculous argument again. Nobody cares. I for one won't be depriving my daughter of Barbie dolls. If she wants to dress head to toe in pink, likes sparkles and fairys, so be it. Likewise if she wants a train set, toy car etc, that's okay too. And no, if my son wants to dress in a tutu and a tiara, I won't be saying yes, nor will I be rushing to the doctor to get him gender reassignment surgery.

Kokapetl Thu 09-Mar-17 20:51:28

Yes, there are already campaign groups on this including Let toys be toys and Pink stinks. As other people have said, in every day life pretty much no one cares what toys kids play with, whether boys or girls.

jellyfrizz Thu 09-Mar-17 21:01:15

My husband didn't like my son dressing up in dresses or my daughter playing rugby. He couldn't actually articulate why very well* (I suspect background influence) but once I questioned it and he realised there was no reason for his prejudice everyone got on with what they wanted to do.

*He's not actually an idiot and gets paid to give his opinion on other things.

designstudent93 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:55:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Mon 20-Mar-17 14:01:54

I've never met anyone in real life that cares tbh, I read a lot on here about the outrage of children wearing pink/blue but never met anyone that has really cared. My dd has pink and blue, green and purple stuff they are all just colours

babybat Mon 20-Mar-17 15:09:29

It's been done, OP Let Toys Be Toys

Astoria7974 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:17:22

A lot of people are stupid?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now