Talk

Advanced search

To think this isn't that weird?

(46 Posts)
nomad27 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:40:21

I'm in my late twenties. My resolution was to see more of the world this year but it's difficult to juggle friends to do so with - in single and lots of friends are at the settling down age which means other things are prioritised.

So next week I've booked flights to a European city, a hostel and am going on my own for a few days. I thought this was fairly normal - I plan to have some nice food, a bit of sightseeing and just zone out from the world/daily routine.

However most people I've told have been horrified and think it's completely bizarre.

AIBU to think this is quite a normal thing to do these days?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 08-Mar-17 19:43:48

It'll be fantastic. I've done it and would do it again. Have a great trip.

FaultySpice Wed 08-Mar-17 19:47:35

Absolutely fine to me. I intend on doing the same this year. I think most people who think it's weird just wouldn't have the confidence to do it themselves.

Doyouwantabrew Wed 08-Mar-17 19:49:03

God that sounds amazing. Go for it.

Bantanddec Wed 08-Mar-17 19:49:36

I think it's great idea, you can do exactly what you like and don't have to accommodate anyone else!

bibbetybobbetybooo Wed 08-Mar-17 19:49:55

Sounds great! Have a lovely time!!!

Juveniledelinquent Wed 08-Mar-17 19:50:20

I've had five holidays on my own. I loved them, they were completely liberating and amazing to have time to just please myself. Enjoy.

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 08-Mar-17 19:50:56

I agree with Faulty, lack of courage in others part (or a need to always be around people).

Luckily DH was similarly brave, otherwise we wouldn't have met (both travelling at the time).

QueenMortificado Wed 08-Mar-17 19:51:20

Which people are this?

I'm in my 30s and about to jack in my job and go travelling on my own. Because I don't have responsibilities and no one wants to come with me. Everyone I have spoken to has been utterly supportive and thinks it's an amazing idea

ferriswheel Wed 08-Mar-17 19:51:24

Sounds great. Have a fab time!

redexpat Wed 08-Mar-17 19:53:06

Ive never understood the "you cant do that on your own" brigade. Why on earth not?

harderandharder2breathe Wed 08-Mar-17 19:53:31

I've done in around U.K. And Ireland I don't think it's weird

I think it's brilliant! Some people are far more reliant on other people than we are. I'm very independent and self sufficient. Some people can't imagine doing anything like that on their own.

goodiegoodieyumyum Wed 08-Mar-17 19:53:42

Nothing weird about it, I used to go on holiday all the time on my own, even now I am married I still have weekends away on my own, you get to do what you want when you want no worrying about what other people want to do.

user1483387154 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:54:29

I did this when I was in my early 20's I spent 6 months travelling around Europe. It was a great experience

Nelllo Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:09

I love love LOVE travelling alone. Have a great time.

Neolara Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:19

I don't think it's weird at all. When I was a teacher I had no one who come with me for 3 or 4 weeks in the summer so I'd head off by myself. I visited lots of central and south America and Asia all on my ownsome. But of course I was rarely by myself because I'd always get talking to people and end up hanging out with them for a bit. Wasnt always easy but was generally a lot of fun. And charcharacter building.

yecartmannew Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:48

Sounds great but then I am the 3rd generation of women who have never not done something because there was no one to do it with

I can't get my head round not wanting to go to the theatre or out for a meal or on holiday just because you are alone

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 08-Mar-17 20:03:17

Sounds perfect smile

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 08-Mar-17 20:04:08

Good for you, do it while you can.

Doyouwantabrew Wed 08-Mar-17 20:04:50

I think it would be great. Just time alone to re charge and relax without anyone's chatter, dh, parents, kids, grandkids.. love them all but sounds bloody bliss.

Welshmaenad Wed 08-Mar-17 20:05:54

I went on a uk weekend alone recently and I absolutely bloody loved it!! You will have an amazing time!

ChristmasEvePJs Wed 08-Mar-17 20:05:56

Every single time I go abroad with work I add on a 'me' day... I love them!!!
24-36hrs of doing exactly what I want in beautiful cities. Go, enjoy, chat to strangers, watch the world go by over coffee... Bliss.

Crispbutty Wed 08-Mar-17 20:09:26

I've done it. I'm 47 now and if I were to be single I wouldn't have a moments hesitation in doing it again.

SheSaidHeSaid Wed 08-Mar-17 20:13:13

Sounds fantastic! Just make sure someone knows your itinerary and that you keep safe smile

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 08-Mar-17 20:14:36

People are strange about single people getting on with life sometimes- I was single for 5 years in my late 20s and I remember someone at work asking why did I bother to cook a proper dinner just for myself confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now