We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to start a new PIP/disability living allowance thread

(13 Posts)
corythatwas Wed 08-Mar-17 19:13:09

Have just learned that my friend has lost her whole Disability Living Allowance, Blue Badge etc. She has severe osteoporosis, cannot sit upright and is unable to stand or walk for more than approx. 2 minutes at the stretch, the slightest overexertion will lead to weeks of severe pain. The only way she can leave the house is on a bed in the specially adapted van the family have bought and kitted out.

Yet apparently she is not disabled because the assessor who came out to her house noticed that she still has the use of her hands and concluded that she could cook herself a meal (presumably by lying flat on her back and waving her hands at some imaginary cooker suspended upside down in mid-air). angry

It's not just the financial side: she is, thankfully, a married lady, they are very careful with money, and their children are grown-up, so I am sure they will manage.

It's seeing what it's done to her. She is the bravest person I know, and yet I could see how hard she found it to pretend she was ok. It was her having to lie there, with this man picking over her life, everything she has lost, everything she has had to give up, everything that normal people have that she can't have- and then have him tell her that it's all nothing, that it doesn't matter. How can people do that to someone???? sad

It's one thing if he'd believed she was lying, but he didn't. He accepted that she had the condition she said she had, he accepted that it affected her the way she said it affected her- and he could not see how this would render her incapable of a normal life!!!!

Who, even among the benefit scrounger believers, can think this is acceptable? Who would want to have that job?

SoleBizzz Wed 08-Mar-17 19:16:00

Was it DLA or PIP? Was your friend changing from DLA to PIP? Or reapplying as the claim had reached the end date?

Babyroobs Wed 08-Mar-17 19:17:58

I presume she is asking for a mandatory consideration and if that fails then it will go to tribunal. It does make you wonder who is training these assessors and how they can come to such ridiculous conclusions. In my job we help people to fill out the PIP forms and most of them do get awarded PIP, many a lot less severely disabled than your friend. There have only been a couple where I have been shocked they were not awarded enough points. She definitely needs to appeal, many decisions are overturned at appeal.

SoleBizzz Wed 08-Mar-17 19:20:12

PIP ESA assessments support and Advice Group on Facebook can help The admin there know all about DLA too. Your friend might find a lot of help, comfort and support there during her appeal process.

PlayOnWurtz Wed 08-Mar-17 19:26:06

She needs to appeal

corythatwas Wed 08-Mar-17 19:44:22

Thank you, you lovely nest of vipers: I am taking notes.

UnbornMortificado Wed 08-Mar-17 19:59:08

Appeal, she needs to do a mandatory reconsideration (which mostly get knocked bac) first.

Welfare rights are brilliant, and yes it's really shit, your poor friend.

UnbornMortificado Wed 08-Mar-17 20:01:07

Telephone
03000 268 968

If on the off chance you are in County Durham.

BrainWillingBodyNotSoMuch Wed 08-Mar-17 20:12:22

I'm currently applying for PIP after being on indefinite DLA for years. I'm so frightened about it being turned down. The stress is awful and makes my condition worse.

I feel very sorry for your friend but she must appeal. It's such a stupid system.

I wish I could bottle a bit of my (admittedly crap) energy to help her to fight.

MatildaTheCat Wed 08-Mar-17 20:14:24

My PIPnwas recently reduced after reassessment. I had a LOT of high quality evidence about my condition and abilities/ disabilities but the assessor knew better. hmm. A sought advice from CAB who were brilliant and appealed for me.

I attended the appeal tribunal with a friend and it was upheld. Even better the award was changed to 'ongoing' and the DWP have since written to say they will next be in touch in 2026. It was such a massive relief.

The process is a joke but very unfunny. Please appeal with support from an expert.

Dogblep Wed 08-Mar-17 20:20:04

It does a lot of damage. As you say it isn't all about the money.
I have a lot of grief bound up with my disability. My life has been shattered by it. To have anyone imply that it's nothing and has no impact is very hard. I'm immensely fragile as i'm sure your friend is.

I'm sure she's very grateful for your support. If only there were more people out there like you. I hope she can take some hope from the fact that they seem to knock as many people back as possible. If she appeals, she's still most likely to get PIP.

Sunnysky2016 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:36:27

Hi I've been awarded pip at the higher rate and won at appeal for areas.. Please contact me if you need support. My career is based on this too just for background X

Sunnysky2016 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:38:05

Esa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now